Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Titanium harness bolts- quick release

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 12:09 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Titanium harness bolts- quick release

I purchased a set of harness w/ the latch mechanism for lap belts.
I don't track much these days but i wanted to have the ability of using HANS
device if i do go to the track. 2-3 times a year tops for safety reasons.

I know it is impossible of using eye bolt for side of GT2 bucket seats as they are to big and will hit the transmission tunnel. So, I had to get creative.

My local cmc shop is an expert w/ titanium as he does a lot of work w oil refineries. Decided to bite the bullet and penny up. 19 grams each!

I'll update thread when installed on gt2 bucket seats.

Also updated daylight driving lights w/ LED bulb to match oem headlights
Attached Images    
Old 05-09-2015, 12:22 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great to see some creativity.

Are you going to either destructively test one or at least certify one at a local rigging shop so you know how they compare under load? I'd guess a load of 800kg would far exceed a survivable crash load of 9g.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:28 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ur20v
Great to see some creativity.

Are you going to either destructively test one or at least certify one at a local rigging shop so you know how they compare under load? I'd guess a load of 800kg would far exceed a survivable crash load of 9g.

Would love to send it for destructive test.
I'll call my local place Monday and ask !
Old 05-09-2015, 02:13 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Please post data, will be interesting to see how many Kg's it takes to fail- my guess is 900kg+.

Make sure they cross load i.e load at 90 degrees to the thread.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:59 AM
ngng
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 186 Posts

why not just buy the bk tunnel side lap mounts? tested, cheap, and work well
Old 05-09-2015, 10:03 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ur20v
Please post data, will be interesting to see how many Kg's it takes to fail- my guess is 900kg+. Make sure they cross load i.e load at 90 degrees to the thread.
I'm confident they will hold up well.

Here is a quick sample what it looks like on seat. Will remove seat tomorrow and install opposite end.

Ngng- I had no idea bk makes something like this. Just took a look at their website. Doesn't state anything for 997 w gt2 buckets. Regardless this looks clean and oem once I get them electroplated black. Not noticeable.
Attached Images  
Old 05-10-2015, 05:09 PM
VID997
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

E,

I have the BK on my seats....see link below...I either have the the mounts on page one upper left (first image) or the fourth image on page two, upper right.

http://www.ogracing.com/car/harnesse...nting-hardware
Old 05-11-2015, 12:36 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Originally Posted by VID997
E,

I have the BK on my seats....see link below...I either have the the mounts on page one upper left (first image) or the fourth image on page two, upper right.

http://www.ogracing.com/car/harnesse...nting-hardware

D,

What seats are you running ?
My point is being misunderstood.
I don't track the car, as much as some rennlisters.
And I want something oem "looking."
Something "discrete ". The bk mounts are not discrete to my eyes.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:06 AM
VID997
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Agreed, yours in black are much more discrete. I think the point that some were trying to make is that something you created, already exists and has been tested & proven. The only reason I have them on the tunnel side is so I can run the OEM three point when not tracking/using a 5/6 point harness.

The BK's work with the OEM female receptors mounting points, and fit in like a washer. Meaning, undo the bolt, slip in the BK harness mount and then tighten down the OEM bolt.

Your set-up essentially does the same, just in a cleaner fashion.

: ]
Old 05-11-2015, 01:33 PM
Protocav
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I respect the custom ingenuity of this part, but even though you don't regularly track your car, you should assure yourself that they are 100% safe when you do track your car. Hitting a wall head on at 40mph or 150mph probably doesn't make much of a difference if the part has broken. Sorry for being morbid, but we have to be realistic.

All of these designs (BK included) put the main seat bolt in single shear, which is the worst scenario for failure of a bolt (in terms of available strength - typically 40% of the quoted strength of the bolt if the threaded section is in the shear plane). However, BK's design is very low profile so no bending is imparted into the joint in addition. Your design is clever, and low profile, but it adds a component of bending into the equation which can break the bolt or twist/break the mount that it is bolted to. Think about what you weigh and then add the previously suggested 9g's to that, for impact.

I recently just put the eye bolts that you have pictured into my car through the floorboards with a backing plate. It sounds daunting, but it actually wasn't very hard to do and gave me the piece of mind that it was "safe".

Just some food for thought, but I think we all want to look out for one another here.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:55 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Agree / w your assessment in that: This part has not been tested. With that said, i have sent it for mechanical testing to get some numbers. Has BK provided lab test numbers ? "proven in use" does not mean much unless it has been "tested" w/ data to back it up. What are the results of when the metal breaks away ?

That said, this part is 1. Made out of titanium grade 5 (vs. grade 8 alloy of oem) and 2. Same thickness as oem.
W/ that data itself, I'm very confident my titanium bolt will surpass that of OEM strength.

I can almost guarantee (until test results are in) the OEM seat will break first before this bolt breaks off.

Again, i'm using all oem points. All oem thickness- but made out of titanium. If in a impact, this bolt does not take the brunt of the force like the 4 bolts that hold the seat railing. IMO, these take a fraction of the force. Just pure common sense if you play out the scenario in your head.

My local alignment shop, which everyone goes to in the SFBA that tracks GT3's, took a quick look at them. He said - he would like to see them a bit thicker(for extra safety margin) for his liking but given that it is titanium, it should be equal too or better then oem and fine by his book.

Last point. If we are racing at DE events, it is best to get a race car. I'm just doing this, so I'm safe while parade lapping

Originally Posted by Protocav
I respect the custom ingenuity of this part, but even though you don't regularly track your car, you should assure yourself that they are 100% safe when you do track your car. Hitting a wall head on at 40mph or 150mph probably doesn't make much of a difference if the part has broken. Sorry for being morbid, but we have to be realistic.

All of these designs (BK included) put the main seat bolt in single shear, which is the worst scenario for failure of a bolt (in terms of available strength - typically 40% of the quoted strength of the bolt if the threaded section is in the shear plane). However, BK's design is very low profile so no bending is imparted into the joint in addition. Your design is clever, and low profile, but it adds a component of bending into the equation which can break the bolt or twist/break the mount that it is bolted to. Think about what you weigh and then add the previously suggested 9g's to that, for impact.

I recently just put the eye bolts that you have pictured into my car through the floorboards with a backing plate. It sounds daunting, but it actually wasn't very hard to do and gave me the piece of mind that it was "safe".

Just some food for thought, but I think we all want to look out for one another here.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:03 PM
Protocav
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
Agree / w your assessment in that: This part has not been tested. With that said, i have sent it for mechanical testing to get some numbers. Has BK provided lab test numbers ? "proven in use" does not mean much unless it has been "tested" w/ data to back it up. What are the results of when the metal breaks away ?

That said, this part is 1. Made out of titanium grade 5 (vs. grade 8 alloy of oem) and 2. Same thickness as oem.
W/ that data itself, I'm very confident my titanium bolt will surpass that of OEM strength.

I can almost guarantee (until test results are in) the OEM seat will break first before this bolt breaks off.

Again, i'm using all oem points. All oem thickness- but made out of titanium. If in a impact, this bolt does not take the brunt of the force like the 4 bolts that hold the seat railing. IMO, these take a fraction of the force. Just pure common sense if you play out the scenario in your head.

My local alignment shop, which everyone goes to in the SFBA that tracks GT3's, took a quick look at them. He said - he would like to see them a bit thicker(for extra safety margin) for his liking but given that it is titanium, it should be equal too or better then oem and fine by his book.

Last point. If we are racing at DE events, it is best to get a race car. I'm just doing this, so I'm safe while parade lapping

I agree with all of your points, but if you intend to sell them, assume that someone will be doing some intense wheel to wheel racing with them...it always seems to work that way. That being said, the sanctioning body may require floor mounts at this point anyways.

Don't get me wrong, this is a clever design.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:14 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Protocav
I agree with all of your points, but if you intend to sell them, assume that someone will be doing some intense wheel to wheel racing with them...it always seems to work that way. That being said, the sanctioning body may require floor mounts at this point anyways.

Don't get me wrong, this is a clever design.
Weight reduction in all the wrong places IMO.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:19 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

I take it you'll be using clip on type lapbelts? If so with the squarish angles of receptacle won't it gouge the corners more so than the round eyebolts? Mike
Old 05-15-2015, 11:06 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Originally Posted by ngng
Weight reduction in all the wrong places IMO.

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
I take it you'll be using clip on type lapbelts? If so with the squarish angles of receptacle won't it gouge the corners more so than the round eyebolts? Mike
I'll find out this weekend Mike.

P.s I'm looking for a formula Renault as my "track car"... So relax guys. Gt3 is again, for parade lapping.

Quick Reply: Titanium harness bolts- quick release