Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

TPC DSC

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 01:41 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

just ordered mine from tom today... looking forward to experiencing the magic...
Old 04-21-2015, 02:24 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kugley
Thanks for the feedback. You had me sold at turn 1 as the car does get a little sketchy under hard braking at the end of the straight. I know I give up too much time in 1. The car also gets loose under hard brake in the transition from turn 2 into 3. I PM'd your buddy about the one listed for sale.

1:57's in a stock 997.1 is impressive!!
hopefully he still has it !

Originally Posted by The Greek
Anyone have this installed with a monoball suspension?

I was planning on taking out the monoballs and putting back the stock bushings, but if this can make it somewhat bearable on the street, that would be awesome...

i have the following
-dog bones
-toe links
- rear drop links
- semi solid engine mounts
- exhaust

that is it for "none oem" mods.

that said, the tpc unit makes the car much more bearable on the street...much more. almost does not feel like a gt3 boasting around about its imperfections.

Originally Posted by hlee1169
Thanks very much for your help, Enrique, I really appreciate it.

I agree with you that I was able to pick up time from 1 to 6, especially 2 and 3, where I used to lose pace to other cars. I was also more confident at using full throttle at 7 and use more throttle at 8.
yup- those are the key area's of improvement w the box.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:49 AM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by The Greek
Anyone have this installed with a monoball suspension?

I was planning on taking out the monoballs and putting back the stock bushings, but if this can make it somewhat bearable on the street, that would be awesome...
I have monoballs and there are essentially no rubber pieces anywhere in my suspension. The DSC really does make bumpy roads more bearable. It allows the suspension to move up and down over bumps rather than the entire car bouncing up and down.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:52 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 948 Likes on 526 Posts

A Big Thank You to everyone using DSC and for your valuable feedbacks!

I'd like to take this opportunity to address a question that often comes up. Which is, does DSC improve laptime? The definitive answer is DSC improves vehicle stability, which doesn't automatically improve laptime if the driver drives at the same pace as before. With the improved stability the driver now has the option to drive the car quicker using the increased available tire grip as a results of vastly improved shock damping management on the existing shocks- True Fully Active Chassis Management. Even if the driver chooses not to drive any quicker the increased vehicle stability results in a greater margin of safety. BIG Kudos to the DSC users taking advantage of the increased vehicle stability to produce better laptimes!

IMO, for the cost of less than a set of premium brand tires to achieve full potential from the existing shocks, DSC is a dynamite deal. Last words regarding laptimes- I've been in the motorsports industry for a long time, perspective speaking, even the high end $10K+ shock suppliers don't guarantee laptime, the proposed improvement is usually certain characteristic(s)/reaction(s) that the driver/engineer are looking for. One more Big Kudo for the DSC users pushing the edge of the envelop in the spirit of our competitive nature!

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 04-21-2015, 02:19 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
A Big Thank You to everyone using DSC and for your valuable feedbacks!

I'd like to take this opportunity to address a question that often comes up. Which is, does DSC improve laptime? The definitive answer is DSC improves vehicle stability, which doesn't automatically improve laptime if the driver drives at the same pace as before. With the improved stability the driver now has the option to drive the car quicker using the increased available tire grip as a results of vastly improved shock damping management on the existing shocks- True Fully Active Chassis Management. Even if the driver chooses not to drive any quicker the increased vehicle stability results in a greater margin of safety. BIG Kudos to the DSC users taking advantage of the increased vehicle stability to produce better laptimes!

IMO, for the cost of less than a set of premium brand tires to achieve full potential from the existing shocks, DSC is a dynamite deal. Last words regarding laptimes- I've been in the motorsports industry for a long time, perspective speaking, even the high end $10K+ shock suppliers don't guarantee laptime, the proposed improvement is usually certain characteristic(s)/reaction(s) that the driver/engineer are looking for. One more Big Kudo for the DSC users pushing the edge of the envelop in the spirit of our competitive nature!

Agree. Proper wording would be- gives confidence to push the bar a bit higher due to extra stability.

Switchbacks is were i saw the most benefit and long sweepers. Car gives more confidence to stay on throttle or go faster.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:24 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
Agree. Proper wording would be- gives confidence to push the bar a bit higher due to extra stability.

Switchbacks is were i saw the most benefit and long sweepers. Car gives more confidence to stay on throttle or go faster.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:55 PM
hesperus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another vote here.

I've posted on it before; my 997.1 is just completely transformed.

as many have pointed out, the best way to describe the car with DSC is that it simply inspires far more confidence than before.

where you would back off because the car started to feel skittish over broken tarmac, or would pogo on undulating surfaces, you can simply keep your foot in it.

i HAVE noticed i now seem to trigger ice mode on my ABS much more frequently now. to be honest however, i think this may be because i'm simply driving much faster than before, as i used to back off the gas a lot earlier.

anyone else experience this?

make no mistake though: the DSC is an absolute MUST for any 997.1 owner IMO.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:20 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by hesperus
Another vote here.

I've posted on it before; my 997.1 is just completely transformed.

as many have pointed out, the best way to describe the car with DSC is that it simply inspires far more confidence than before.

where you would back off because the car started to feel skittish over broken tarmac, or would pogo on undulating surfaces, you can simply keep your foot in it.
Thank you for your feedback.

Originally Posted by hesperus
i HAVE noticed i now seem to trigger ice mode on my ABS much more frequently now. to be honest however, i think this may be because i'm simply driving much faster than before, as i used to back off the gas a lot earlier.

anyone else experience this?

make no mistake though: the DSC is an absolute MUST for any 997.1 owner IMO.
There is a youtube video by Derrick of PFC. A portion of this video specifically addresses Ice Mode(or ABS limp mode). According to the data PFC collected and interpreted, this phenomenon is trigged by exceeding a g-load threshold during the "stab" of the pedal. Naturally, the faster the mph + maintaining around the same braking distance = higher g. Basically the conclusion of the video is short of buying an expensive motorsport ABS system the only other ways to prevent Ice Mode is to decrease the "stab" rate or use brake pads with less initial bite. Hope this gives you an idea of why/how.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:22 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake951
I have monoballs and there are essentially no rubber pieces anywhere in my suspension. The DSC really does make bumpy roads more bearable. It allows the suspension to move up and down over bumps rather than the entire car bouncing up and down.
Ok sweet. I was kind of hoping the TPC DSC would help enough to let me keep them. Car is just so responsive with the monoballs. But on the street, after 30 min of driving, I have suicidal thoughts....
Old 04-22-2015, 04:38 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

^ I've got Champion Motorsport monoballs on my car, they're not that bad dude...

Plus the car would benefit from the combination of the two on the track.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:17 PM
RedRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
There is a youtube video by Derrick of PFC. A portion of this video specifically addresses Ice Mode(or ABS limp mode). According to the data PFC collected and interpreted, this phenomenon is trigged by exceeding a g-load threshold during the "stab" of the pedal. Naturally, the faster the mph + maintaining around the same braking distance = higher g. Basically the conclusion of the video is short of buying an expensive motorsport ABS system the only other ways to prevent Ice Mode is to decrease the "stab" rate or use brake pads with less initial bite. Hope this gives you an idea of why/how.
A more gradual application of the brakes can reduce the occurrence of Ice Mode, and this technique may be even more important when using the DSC box.

There is no free lunch; in most instances there are trade-offs and an improvement in one area may lead to an unintended adverse consequence in another. The DSC dynamically and rapidly increases the front dampening under braking to prevent nose dive and keep the splitter from scraping the track into a turn (e.g., Turn 7 at Watkins Glen), but is it possible that this same rapid increase in front dampening rate could also increase the occurrence of Ice Mode?

It will be interesting to see what others experience on track, especially in those bumpy braking zones prone to inducing Ice Mode. Are any of you using the DSC box on track notice any increase in the occurrence of Ice Mode? Thank you.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:24 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by RedRSA
The DSC dynamically and rapidly increases the front dampening under braking to prevent nose dive and keep the splitter from scraping the track into a turn (e.g., Turn 7 at Watkins Glen), but is it possible that this same rapid increase in front dampening rate could also increase the occurrence of Ice Mode?
Anything is possible, but I think the contrary based on the physics of the dynamic damper function alone(without factoring in extreme g spikes to exceed street car ABS threshold from driver stab rate and initial bite rate of brake pad compound), in that the inertia moment from brake dive is actually reduced. With the stiffer front shock damping the ABS Might engage sooner but in such case ice mode shouldn't occur once ABS is kicking in.

Originally Posted by RedRSA
It will be interesting to see what others experience on track, especially in those bumpy braking zones prone to inducing Ice Mode. Are any of you using the DSC box on track notice any increase in the occurrence of Ice Mode? Thank you.
There have been a number of DSC users with positive results from Sebring and other tracks, including the Co-Chief Instructor of our region(Mr. D). Really no one has expressed to us at all that its a "I want my freaking money back" type of situation regarding increased occurrence of ice mode. I am a DSC user, I have not experienced ice mod myself, could be that I am brake pedal squeezer, not a stabber. We would love to hear from DSC users regarding ice mode as well.

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 04-22-2015 at 10:26 PM. Reason: grammar correction
Old 04-22-2015, 10:42 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Sorry for getting off topic. I came across this thread regarding ice mode, I find the info in post #17 to be very accurate and applies to our cars-
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...sebring-2.html
Old 04-23-2015, 12:54 AM
RedRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom - Thank you for posting your reply. Like you, I am a brake squeezer, so I have never experienced ice mode - knock on wood!

Certainly not bashing the product, which seems to receive positive reviews, but I am interested in the possible affect of the DSC damping function on the occurrence of ice mode. Not sure how common it is, but Hesperus' post was the first user feedback I've read on the subject.

I remain interested in experienced track user feedback. In particular, instances where the occurrence of getting into ice mode has increased, or where ice mode was routinely experienced with the stock controller but the frequency of occurrence was noticeably reduced after installing the DSC.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:32 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Would love to hear some apples to apples lap time comparisons with and without.

Quick Reply: TPC DSC