Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

TPC DSC

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 07:24 PM
Matrog
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Thumbs up Agree completely

"that initial bump is now less jarring and the ensuing oscillations far less obvious."

It ends the "see-saw" or "pogo-stick" problem that haunts the OE ride.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:45 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I'd be interested to see if this tuning can give a second at COTA.
I have stock unit with me so we'll see this weekend. Easy swap out..
Old 03-20-2015, 11:39 AM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Just got the TPC DSC installed on my '07 GT3 this week. I have only one day of street driving on it so far and won't get to the track for the season's first event until next month. My first impression on the street is that it's very different than the OEM PASM. There is much less bouncing up and down over bumps. Even the firmest setting feels acceptable on bumpy roads, which was not the case for factory PASM in the "firm" mode.

After I get in more driving time, I'll file another report.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:16 AM
YnotGT3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally installed my TPC DSC unit in my 997.1 GT3. Initially attempting to install the DSC box was a PITA until I exchanged e-mails with Tom at TPC Racing. I just needed to add a little light under the kick panel to see and add a little more pressure on the tab to release the box. The exchange of the PASM box for the DSC unit took 3 minutes. Wiring the accelerometer was not bad at all. I had maybe 1hour and a half in the total install quick test of the wiring and reassembly.
This weekend I drove extensively on the Highway 583 miles to be exact to drive the 991 GT3 at the Extreme Driving Experience at the Autobahn Country Club in Illinois. I must say, the ride up I 55 was much more compliant and improved over bumps and the car also felt much more planted at speed as others have stated. Additionally, in the past, my GT3 would skip slightly taking off ramps aggressively, the skip has disappeared which I found shocking so I'm guessing more grip which brought a huge smile to my face versus the first time I felt the skip and my butt puckered. No dive on braking was also noticed. After all the reviews if you are STILL on the fence with the TPC DSC box, get off it and get one tracking or not.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:53 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 104 Posts

I smell group buy...
Old 04-20-2015, 06:41 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Thumbs up

I installed DSC with 3-axial accelerometer on my .1 GT3 RS last year and had posted a good review of the transformation of the stock PASM behavior on street. Car felt stable in corners and had less dive at aggressive braking. Bump was soaked up very well.

This year I finally have a chance to drive it on the track and have good news to report as well. Last year at the Thunderhill track my best time was around 2:15 with RE11 tires. I know the car can take more speed, but the stock suspension did not give me the confidence to push it in corners. The TPC DSC transform the damper behavior of the stock PASM and gave me the confidence to push the car more. Without changes to my camber setting (-2.3F/-1.8R), but with new tires (MPSC2), I was able to pull 1G at T2 and T3 at Thunderhill and achieve a 2:09 lap. This was done with mode 3 of the DSC unit. Car felt stable and boost my confidence quite a bit to push it. Definitely one of the best suspension mod ever for my street/track mixed use.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:53 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hlee1169
I installed DSC with 3-axial accelerometer on my .1 GT3 RS last year and had posted a good review of the transformation of the stock PASM behavior on street. Car felt stable in corners and had less dive at aggressive braking. Bump was soaked up very well.

This year I finally have a chance to drive it on the track and have good news to report as well. Last year at the Thunderhill track my best time was around 2:15 with RE11 tires. I know the car can take more speed, but the stock suspension did not give me the confidence to push it in corners. The TPC DSC transform the damper behavior of the stock PASM and gave me the confidence to push the car more. Without changes to my camber setting (-2.3F/-1.8R), but with new tires (MPSC2), I was able to pull 1G at T2 and T3 at Thunderhill and achieve a 2:09 lap. This was done with mode 3 of the DSC unit. Car felt stable and boost my confidence quite a bit to push it. Definitely one of the best suspension mod ever for my street/track mixed use.

Going on that.
I'm pretty consistent driver.
Last time out at thill.
I did back to back hot laps on oem unit vs TPC.

I have a set rev limiter at 7k ( I don't like revving to 8400 ) for me personally and I achieved 2:04 w stock pasm
2:02 w tpc unit... Ftw at thill.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:28 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
Going on that.
Last time out at thill.

I have a set rev limiter at 7k ( I don't like revving to 8400 ) for me personally and I achieved 2:04 w stock pasm
This is an even better testimony than mine since your time is closer to the limit of the car, and 2 seconds at your level is pretty big, in my opinion.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:01 PM
andrewgt3
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by osu s2k
I smell group buy...
i second this.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:38 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm just back from 3 track days at NHMS last weekend, my first test of the TPC DSC on the track. Those of you who have driven NHMS know how hard the bumps are on cars.

I started out with the softest DSC setting. My impression after the first run was that they fixed the bumps on the track. It was that different from stock PASM. I could have probably driven the entire event on that setting but I went up to the middle DSC position and left it there for the rest of the weekend. I felt that was the best compromise of compliance over bumps and chassis response in the corners and chicanes.

I think this product is a winner.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:42 PM
Kugley
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going on that.
Last time out at thill.

That's encouraging to hear you feel that the TPC was attributable to 2 seconds at THill. I can consistently get 2:01's and 2:02's in my 997.1 GT3 with clean runs but have not been able to do sub-2:00. Are there specific turns that you are getting through quicker? I've been running NT-01's and was going to cheat and put on Hoosiers to see if I could get closer to 2:00. If the consensus is that it would help get a second or two, I'll order one this week. All I need is 1:59.99 (over the top of turn 5) to feel that my life is complete.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:44 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hlee1169
This is an even better testimony than mine since your time is closer to the limit of the car, and 2 seconds at your level is pretty big, in my opinion.
Hi Henry. Glad your tpc unit is okay - I helped you install yours after that one shop would not help

Originally Posted by Kugley
That's encouraging to hear you feel that the TPC was attributable to 2 seconds at THill. I can consistently get 2:01's and 2:02's in my 997.1 GT3 with clean runs but have not been able to do sub-2:00. Are there specific turns that you are getting through quicker? I've been running NT-01's and was going to cheat and put on Hoosiers to see if I could get closer to 2:00. If the consensus is that it would help get a second or two, I'll order one this week. All I need is 1:59.99 (over the top of turn 5) to feel that my life is complete.
Their is one listed FS in the parts sections at a discount price atm. Contact me directly if you dont see it and i can put you in touch w the owner. He just went cup car route.

That said, the transitions are a lot smoother with tpc unit. Turn 2-6 is were you really feel it working for you. Again going through the fast sweeper 8. Really helps getting close to throttle all the time.
Turn 1 it helps settle the front - makes it more poise under hard brakes. Gives confidence to take turn 1 upper 90'smph.

Prior to tpc unit i was lapping 157's. i'm sure if i give it a full max attack mode i can extract all its juice out of it but i stopped going for lap times and enjoying myself.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:45 AM
Kugley
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Henry. Glad your tpc unit is okay - I helped you install yours after that one shop would not help

Their is one listed FS in the parts sections at a discount price atm. Contact me directly if you dont see it and i can put you in touch w the owner. He just went cup car route.

That said, the transitions are a lot smoother with tpc unit. Turn 2-6 is were you really feel it working for you. Again going through the fast sweeper 8. Really helps getting close to throttle all the time.
Turn 1 it helps settle the front - makes it more poise under hard brakes. Gives confidence to take turn 1 upper 90'smph.

Prior to tpc unit i was lapping 157's. i'm sure if i give it a full max attack mode i can extract all its juice out of it but i stopped going for lap times and enjoying myself.
Thanks for the feedback. You had me sold at turn 1 as the car does get a little sketchy under hard braking at the end of the straight. I know I give up too much time in 1. The car also gets loose under hard brake in the transition from turn 2 into 3. I PM'd your buddy about the one listed for sale.

1:57's in a stock 997.1 is impressive!!
Old 04-21-2015, 01:09 AM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 66 Posts

Anyone have this installed with a monoball suspension?

I was planning on taking out the monoballs and putting back the stock bushings, but if this can make it somewhat bearable on the street, that would be awesome...
Old 04-21-2015, 01:14 AM
hlee1169
Pro

Thanks very much for your help, Enrique, I really appreciate it.

I agree with you that I was able to pick up time from 1 to 6, especially 2 and 3, where I used to lose pace to other cars. I was also more confident at using full throttle at 7 and use more throttle at 8.

Quick Reply: TPC DSC