Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Track seat options

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 12:22 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
What mounting solutions are you guys using for sparco Evo 2? Sliders or no?
hey cosmo, check out the GMG one, it just came out and looks at least 1" lower than my planted seat base, would allow you to put a slider on and not be too tall (could still be for some).

for seat I run cobra suzuka pro-fit. i like that i can change out the cushion sizes to get the right fitment for me. I'm a small guy with wide-ish shoulders. could be tight for anyone larger than 180 5'10" or so. I've sat in them for about 8-9 hours of the day and it was okay...
Old 03-06-2015, 02:09 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I run OMP HTE-R for me and OMP ARS-R for passenger. I use 996 manual sliders and BK side brackets. I think OMP is the biggest seat without having to get XL fat guy seat. I am 5'11" and do not have any height issues.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:48 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Going through the same process now. You beat me to the cage! Lucky you! I went with the recaro profi. I think recaro make the best all around seats. Imo.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:14 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by r6elmo
hey cosmo, check out the GMG one, it just came out and looks at least 1" lower than my planted seat base, would allow you to put a slider on and not be too tall (could still be for some).

for seat I run cobra suzuka pro-fit. i like that i can change out the cushion sizes to get the right fitment for me. I'm a small guy with wide-ish shoulders. could be tight for anyone larger than 180 5'10" or so. I've sat in them for about 8-9 hours of the day and it was okay...
Thanks will check out their site. If I can use that GMG seat base then I need sliders (recaro) and then side mounts, correct? 3 total "layers" to bolt in the seat to the car?
Old 03-06-2015, 08:56 PM
John Chan
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have tried sparco, recaro and status in the same day and I dislike sparco the most due to thin padding. I lean toward to get status GT4-X with custom stitching orange. It is very supportive and like memory foam padding.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:35 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

For those of you looking at Recaro - BBI, and looks like GMG make a base plate solution (may work with other seats too), that allows you to use the base plate which mounts to OEM mount positions, then use sliders from OEM or Recaro, then risers from Recaro or whoever, then the seat. These allow drop in mounting with no funkiness or hacks that is very solid.

My setup is from RSS. RSS base plate (not sure they make any more?), sliders (not sure if they are RSS or Recaro), and RSS risers.

Others drive my car so I use sliders, plus allows me to get stuff wedged in back when I need to.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:40 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by John Chan
I have tried sparco, recaro and status in the same day and I dislike sparco the most due to thin padding. I lean toward to get status GT4-X with custom stitching orange. It is very supportive and like memory foam padding.
goto cantrell, try them out and colin will fit the seats in.
i often hear ppl talking about brackets, seats too high blah blah. this is a bolt in soln especially for tall, bigger, short etc

i always had my seats mounted by my tech/fabricator. whatever car i have, whatever seat i use, they all fit. he will make it fit. never tell me how, but it fits.

one day i asked why everyone online says xxx seat wont fit. he replied, they are not real mechanics. he then showed me what he did the the chassis and the brackets. some SERIOUS fabrication... if they have to ask you how to do it, find a new shop.

i pay them for solutions.

john, if you want the spendy solution, i have every form of OEM seat you need ;-)
Old 03-07-2015, 09:59 AM
RedRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to take the thread too far off the OP's question, but this process is much more complicated when the driver is 6'5"+. And for being so much bigger in general, the interior dimensions that one has to work with in a 997 are no bigger, and in some cases less, than my RSA. For sufficient knee clearance it required thin custom seats mounted to the floor, a smaller aftermarket steering wheel, hub extension and Q/D.

I would like the flexibility of using sliders, but to get sufficient headroom when wearing a helmet, I had a our local fabrication expert make a set of brackets that mount my old style Kirkey's directly to the floor. Nice and solid, but the top of my helmet is still close to the roof.

My current challenge is finding a way to either add bolt-on head restraint/containment or find an entirely new solution with a different seat that fits. Kirkey sold a kit (discontinued), but it was too wide to fit. Between the thickness of the seats and mounting brackets, I'm not sure that new Recaro's, etc. would provide enough headroom, so I'm thinking of having some custom containment fabricated.

I would be interested in any successes by other tall drivers.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:06 PM
DER951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Stable Energies lists an add on head restraint for Kirkey seats:

http://www.stableenergies.com/Kirkey...-RRHS/TUBULAR/

I got the tubular one last year and added it to my intermediate road race seat. I had to trim some of the outside bracing slightly to clear the window and B post. Plenty of visibility for street driving.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:15 PM
esc911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
For those of you looking at Recaro - BBI, and looks like GMG make a base plate solution (may work with other seats too), that allows you to use the base plate which mounts to OEM mount positions, then use sliders from OEM or Recaro, then risers from Recaro or whoever, then the seat. These allow drop in mounting with no funkiness or hacks that is very solid.

My setup is from RSS. RSS base plate (not sure they make any more?), sliders (not sure if they are RSS or Recaro), and RSS risers.

Others drive my car so I use sliders, plus allows me to get stuff wedged in back when I need to.
RSS still makes the base plate, if you ask them about it. I spoke with Mike over at RSS last time I picked up toe links and that's what he told me. What solution did you have to mount the lower harness straps with the RSS base plate?
Old 03-07-2015, 06:33 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I may be a novice at all of this but I'm looking at a recaro profi for my .1rs. Are these seats not "plug and play". Is it really such a process to have them installed?
Old 03-07-2015, 07:39 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

^ depends upon your level of ingenuity and fab skills. Now that BK has redesigned their side brackets, I can say that OMP seats on BK side brackets on 996 manual sliders is indeed plug and play. I had to convince BK that their brackets had not kept up with OMP changes, but it works now.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:08 PM
esc911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like the RSS, or BBI seat base plus Recaro sliders and sidemounts is a plug and play solution for most Recaro seats. Only thing is seatbelt receptacle mounting. I've always wondered if the 993 RS seat belt adapter would suffice, it sandwiches between the slider and sidemount. I have them, but haven't had to test with the 997 seatbelt receptacle.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:56 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

for lower belt it's mounted to the lower mounting plate similar to the gmg or bbi lower plate style. the rss base plate is thick steel. i have my outer harness belt bolted to the roll bar and the inner harness AND lap belt bolted to the tunnel with a backing plate. i used the long Gt2 seat belt receptacles. downside of this is the receptacle doesn't move with the seat but for my height it works fine, probably wouldn't work if you're really short. but i didn't feel comfortable mounting to the aluminum upright or using the 993 style jacket.

big al: with the right parts, its totally plug and play, no drilling or funny hacks.

Quick Reply: Track seat options