Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 10:42 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
nice.
here are more CF
nick, can you guess the wheels on the cipo?
the wheels are strong, but i cracked the cipo in 2500 miles.
i raised hell. the new frame is in transit....
perhaps i shoudnt be jumping curbs and sidewalks of downtown SF. but you know i watched quicksilver ;-)
I'm pretty sure the Cipo is made by Sarto. Good frame builder. They built some of Crumpton's stock size frames. Mine is Type 5 with a Campy OT crank. Hate the Hirth joint cranks. Big, big fan of Nick Crumpton, he builds frames right. My N+1 road bike collection is- Colnago Master Light, Moots Vamoots, Ouellette custom, and the Crumpton. Mtn bike N+1 group is Lightspeed Obed, Kuupas carbon, and Bontager Race Lite (last one at friend's house back in Chicago).

You have Lightweights... Nice. But they are not really all that bombproof. I'm too cheap to buy Lightweights, and at my weight they would be a stupid purchase.

Zipps have big problems. Latest problem is with their 88 hub, all first generation are recalled. SRAM is like GM, produce first, let public test and then recall. Their 404 were bad rims first, now bad hubs.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:03 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

jem7v, all the bikes u saw posted are around 20$ or so... the crump ton is more
the c59. that's old now 15$

nick, I see u are deep in it
yes all the insiders know cipo = Sarto. that's why I was so surprised I cracked the junction of top tube and seat stay. but cipo is replacing so all good. there's no wt limit on the frame and While I'm no lap her 160, Im well below 200, so not sure why. but they are replacing it and sellomg me a rb1000 at AMAZING price so they say. tho havemt told me price yet lol. it will likely have 2" more drop CS my rb800 and c59. so if I stop posting u know I threw out my lower back ha

I so love crumpton, but Im cheap and impatient. I have a retired master ti frame hung up. the paint and the old lugs...ooh la la. even an old old ciocc ( u old enough to know that?) newsboy, XLM, axiom, c40, c 50. quit mtb 10 years ago. no time... that's no time to visit ER so often heehee. 3' drops look much scarier now than 20 years ago!

rims

old Reynolds are pioneering. then I think they ran out of money. the latest seen at Vegas will be hot. not sure proce, cf spoke too.

ENVE. I just don't like. have 3.4 they don't spin up fast like zipp or lwt, sold my to DRL green RS. he has no prob with them but he drops me like I'm riding backwards. so it's me not the enve

zipp I like 202 and 303 as 6% is avg grade here. I'm not sure I can spin up 606 lol. price of 202/303 makes them somewhat disposable wheels and well priced ams I do like their performance. I asked for pink decals, but they womt send those, so I endedup not buying.

lwt, not bomb proof and cost way too much. so they have a 600$ program where they will replace no matter what. I think it's the cg spoke that made them stiff and supple. my are tubular so helps even more. the glut ain't as string as they used to be, so need good hoops to compensate.

tried arione 00, OMFG...... almost died

sorry for OT
but bike is better than dog thread lol

Last edited by mooty; 02-20-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:12 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Mooty, I have a rule about bikes, one purchase a decade because that is all I can afford, so I spend 9 years drooling before each buy. Ouellette is from the 80's, Colnago from the 90's, Moots from the 00's, and now the Crumpton this decade. Thought it was time for me to try carbon and stop being such a Luddite, after all, the other road bikes I own all have square taper cranks, and all the fat tire ones have been Magic Motorcycle/Sweet Wings etc. since the early 90's.

Reynolds friend moved to FSA. May try their wheels next. Another friend owns a factory in Taiwan, makes bikes for a lot of companies. I'm quite cheap when it comes to bikes, either buy the best at full retail, or get all pro deal at 70-75% off.

Still waiting for a friend to find a job at Wahoo. That way I can get a KICKR. Otherwise I would never pay for that torture device.

Saddles- I am old school, prefer old Regal shape because I punch a big hole for others to follow.

Last edited by Nick Wong; 02-20-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:03 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 56 Posts

Well, since this turned into a bike thread, I thought I would share a picture of mine. It's no lightweight, though. 1.7 liters of fun

Old 02-20-2015, 01:55 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

jem7v, all the bikes u saw posted are around 20$ or so... the crump ton is more
the c59. that's old now 15$

nick, I see u are deep in it
yes all the insiders know cipo = Sarto. that's why I was so surprised I cracked the junction of top tube and seat stay. but cipo is replacing so all good. there's no wt limit on the frame and While I'm no lap her 160, Im well below 200, so not sure why. but they are replacing it and sellomg me a rb1000 at AMAZING price so they say. tho havemt told me price yet lol. it will likely have 2" more drop CS my rb800 and c59. so if I stop posting u know I threw out my lower back ha

I so love crumpton, but Im cheap and impatient. I have a retired master ti frame hung up. the paint and the old lugs...ooh la la. even an old old ciocc ( u old enough to know that?) newsboy, XLM, axiom, c40, c 50. quit mtb 10 years ago. no time... that's no time to visit ER so often heehee. 3' drops look much scarier now than 20 years ago!

rims

old Reynolds are pioneering. then I think they ran out of money. the latest seen at Vegas will be hot. not sure proce, cf spoke too.

ENVE. I just don't like. have 3.4 they don't spin up fast like zipp or lwt, sold my to DRL green RS. he has no prob with them but he drops me like I'm riding backwards. so it's me not the enve

zipp I like 202 and 303 as 6% is avg grade here. I'm not sure I can spin up 606 lol. price of 202/303 makes them somewhat disposable wheels and well priced ams I do like their performance. I asked for pink decals, but they womt send those, so I endedup not buying.

lwt, not bomb proof and cost way too much. so they have a 600$ program where they will replace no matter what. I think it's the cg spoke that made them stiff and supple. my are tubular so helps even more. the glut ain't as string as they used to be, so need good hoops to compensate.

tried arione 00, OMFG...... almost died

sorry for OT
but bike is better than dog thread lol

I looked into getting back into cycling. I want a colnago c60. But I can't bring myself to pay the like 8-10k for it with carbon wheels. I'd want an all carbon bike.

But I remember mclaren had a carbon bike that was around 20k or something like that.

EDIT: here is the mclaren bike I am thinking of http://www.specialized.com/us/en/sworksmclaren/
Old 02-20-2015, 07:04 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jem7v
I looked into getting back into cycling. I want a colnago c60. But I can't bring myself to pay the like 8-10k for it with carbon wheels. I'd want an all carbon bike.

But I remember mclaren had a carbon bike that was around 20k or something like that.

EDIT: here is the mclaren bike I am thinking of http://www.specialized.com/us/en/sworksmclaren/
How is that different from MGS996's Venge?

$8-10k for C60 and carbon wheels? What's that, Ultegra DI and Zipp 202? Not really much of a fan of off the shelf sizing when it comes to carbon.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:23 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If we are going to talk bikes, can we talk REAL bikes?

(#269/500). Sitting inside my house in my garage annex. Don't want it to catch cold!��

Thank you. ��
Attached Images  
Old 02-20-2015, 09:29 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Ok. Only one more.... From the annex. Taken just now. (195 hp on two wheels....nice!)

Also have 1199R and multi 1200 touring sport.

Real bikes.
Attached Images  
Old 02-20-2015, 09:29 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
How is that different from MGS996's Venge?

$8-10k for C60 and carbon wheels? What's that, Ultegra DI and Zipp 202? Not really much of a fan of off the shelf sizing when it comes to carbon.
Not sure what those are. I'm fairly new to the cycling scene.

Originally Posted by leif997
If we are going to talk bikes, can we talk REAL bikes?

(#269/500). Sitting inside my house in my garage annex. Don't want it to catch cold!��

Thank you. ��

I thought you were going to post a picture of a tricycle.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:34 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jem7v
Not sure what those are. I'm fairly new to the cycling scene.

I thought you were going to post a picture of a tricycle.
I have one of those, too!!
Old 02-20-2015, 10:20 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

jack I was going to,say I wamt the motor off ur HD, then norm posted that POS...
can someone teach to ride motorcycle? that duc is insane.

jem7v
c60is more or less a 6k frame
I don't know proce of ultegra but dura ace di2 is 5000 or so, super record eps is 6500
no one runs a thing below that. it's like putting regular 87oct in a rs. u just don't do it
zipp 202 aboit 2000
u are at 13 or so now.
c60 is lugged, has 15-20 sizes I think.

nick since u are insane, have u seen EE brakes and calvicula (sp) crank? I thoght my 50/34 super record crank was light.... that calvicula thing.... it is like air
Old 02-20-2015, 10:30 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

jack I was going to,say I wamt the motor off ur HD, then norm posted that POS...

jem7v
I don't know proce of ultegra but dura ace di2 is 5000 or so, super record eps is 6500
no one runs a thing below that. it's like putting regular 87oct in a rs. u just don't do it
zipp 202 aboit 2000
u are at 13 or so now.

nick since u are insane, have u seen EE brakes and calvicula (sp) crank? I thoght my 50/34 super record crank was light.... that calvicula thing.... it is like air
I honestly don't pay around too much with the ultra light parts. Seen too many failures that happen at the most inopportune time, same reason I don
Old 02-20-2015, 10:33 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

jem7v
zipp 202 aboit 2000
u are at 13 or so now.

I honestly don't pay around too much with the ultra light parts. Seen too many failures that happen at the most inopportune time, same reason I don't run tubies for training rides. And since I haven't raced in eons, I don't even bother with the glue. I'm quite happy with cables and pro level components, no need for that super high level/expensive, 1/4lb lighter stuff for me.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:48 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree with mooty here, why dwell on garbage. It's just a tart with make up. As you like it you should buy it jem, it suits you....you could always match it up with a trike with foxtails lol.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:44 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
I honestly don't pay around too much with the ultra light parts. Seen too many failures that happen at the most inopportune time, same reason I don't run tubies for training rides. And since I haven't raced in eons, I don't even bother with the glue. I'm quite happy with cables and pro level components, no need for that super high level/expensive, 1/4lb lighter stuff for me.
smart man,
every time I pop tubie, call wife, get spare and get an earful.....

Quick Reply: Take a look at this GT2 FS