Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Roll Call - COTA MVP

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 10:42 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

A little faster in the wet... 997.1 doesn't have much in the way of nannies, kinda fun getting *** end all over the place LOL.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:07 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

that bmw (appears) faster than i would expect
Old 03-01-2015, 12:33 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
that bmw (appears) faster than i would expect
I think the nannies on that car are pretty good at helping keep in line. Also, the DCT versions of the E90 are very quick acceleration and a drag race down a straight will be pretty even until about 100mph when I will start to pull them.

The guys with the Z28 are not having a good time slight applications of throttle and back end is sliding everywhere. Guy in cobra is brave. :-)

Anyway, this has been a really good lesson in being smooth and car control, we don't get many (any) wet track days in LA.

Bumper CAM View

Last edited by Spyerx; 03-01-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:32 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,004 Likes on 2,282 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
usctrojanGT3, you pushed the event to 11 - the BBQ was an epic touch. Sorry we could not deliver on the weather, but at least you got a fill of quality Texas BBQ.

This weather will teaches you a lot about the track, though at 0.6x speed, rooster tails and all. Hope the weather dude is wrong tomorrow.
I figured if we were going to do things right, it had to involve Texas BBQ for lunch at the track. It was an interesting experience going out onto a wet track for the first time in my life. Definitely dialed it back to about 6/10th. Overall an epic weekend and Spyerx and I will be back.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:35 AM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

USC - you have to post your close call with the big orange monster in T1.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:21 PM
sierralima
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great meeting you guys! I also apologize for the weather....

I had a blast driving the M3 on street tires in the rain (not me in the vid). I was consistently putting the unloaded tires on the paint (after some convincing by Shake and Texas ) and was surprised how well it held.

Sally
Old 03-02-2015, 07:12 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

It was really great meeting everyone. The Texas Rennlist and GT3 crew are a great bunch. It was great to see 85Gold again (so bummed about your tranny!), and meet all the local TX crew.

What a fantastic track and facility you have there. All weather issues aside, I had a great time, ate way too much bbq/meat, and learned a thing or two about driving in the wet. This IS DE right??? And I certainly learned a lot. Including my guts to threshold brake at the end of the long straight are not there yet. My data curves look pathetic! :-)

I didn't have any really 'oh ****' moments, just a few slightly 'ohoh' but was just enough ahead of the car, but just wasn't pushing too hard. My quick in the wet was 2:50 LOL, with the rainiest session mid 2:50s. I DID pickup my infield speeds MORE in the wet vs. the dry day so I really look forward to going back and seeing what I can do in the dry now that I was starting to get the line down. And I was finally getting more comfortable with the braking on the long straight in the wet, which should translate nice to the dry.

USC and I (and we WILL haul a few other CA people out!) are planning the next trip soon!

And we hope to see you out here on the west coast soon!
Old 03-02-2015, 09:18 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 65 Posts

Great to meet the Cali crew, glad that they brought with them bright idea to have BBQ brought in - THANKS! Sorry that Texas could not provide better weather; it kind of sucked...

I had a lot of fun, and found a great new way to spend money! I will never again go into the cold, rainy winter without a set of race rains. I got a lightly used set cheap, just for the hell of it (Yok A006). Friday was a fun, fast dry day, but both Saturday and Sunday were about 36 degrees and drizzle all day. With the heavy overcast, even when it was not drizzling, the track stayed wet. I had been saving the rains for a heavy rain, as I understand that they burn up rapidly without a lot of water to cool them. I figured that even on pavement that was just damp, at 36 degrees they would not burn up too fast, so I tried them out.

I thought that going from street tires to Hooters (6 seconds faster!!) was like crack; news flash - Hooters are 3.2 beer. Race rains are crack at 36 degrees. I was running about 3 minute laps on Yok AD08's and MPSS. On the race rains I went to low 2:40's. This was my fastest wet lap at 2:41, followed by a couple of more laps sliding around:

The astute observer will note that I spend a lot of time with no hands on the wheel. This is one of many bad habits I am working on fixing. I am not sensitive enough (yet) to catch the car early, so it gets a good rotation going, and my hands are not fast enough to catch it at that point, so I let the car self correct. Please note that this is not an instructional video, just having fun in the rain....

Old 03-02-2015, 09:48 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by facelvega
I thought that going from street tires to Hooters (6 seconds faster!!) was like crack; news flash - Hooters are 3.2 beer. Race rains are crack at 36 degrees. I was running about 3 minute laps on Yok AD08's and MPSS. On the race rains I went to low 2:40's. This was my fastest wet lap at 2:41...
So my 2:50 in the wet on MPSS would be like high 2:30's wet on those drug dealer tires? LOL :-) That's is definite crack pipe right there.

And less amusing for me, my wife has put me on a strict CA veggie diet after hearing about the USC prompted BBQ and meat-fest at the track and after. I will savor the taste of those La BBQ burnt ends in my fondest of memories!
Old 03-02-2015, 11:40 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
So my 2:50 in the wet on MPSS would be like high 2:30's wet on those drug dealer tires? ......
YES - But you will not need them in SoCal, because you will never get a 36 degrees and drizzle day. Wintertime in the south - for COTA, Road Atlanta, Barber, even Sebring on occasion (like when I was last there...), I will always have a set available. I will HOPE not to need them (look at old COTA threads - plenty of Texas bragging about warm sunshine in the winter) but after this last weekend, I know they transform a cold, rainy "obligation to drive" back into a kick-*** fun time. Highly recommended....
Old 03-03-2015, 11:37 AM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, it was good seeing everyone and meeting a few new folks once again. Thanks again to the Cali folks for organizing that Awesome BBQ. Very much appreciated. Hopefully soon we can all get out to your neck of the woods for a few track events.

All in all, whenever I am at a track somewhere, it is a good weekend. No matter what the weather is doing.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:43 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 461 Posts

Great time and dropped 3 sec from last year in 1st session, 2nd session too much traffic not watching mirrors and then alas the diff in the tranny decided 100k miles and over 50 track days it was done. Oh well off to LKQ for a $1k low mileage replacement.

Watching the CA boys get their Cherry popped in the wet was awesome and they both did well for 1st time at COTA

Peter

Quick Reply: Roll Call - COTA MVP