Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Roll Call - COTA MVP

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 05:23 PM
Shivatron
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
What orange things? Do I dare ask what happens when you hit the orange things?
The "orange things" are these rather large (maybe 6" high at the peak?) turtles placed at the apex of some corners. They have a bit of a ramp to the edges but if you hit something that tall moving at any speed, it's probably not going to be good for the car. You need to really cut the apex to hit them.

Obligatory pic stolen from the internet:
Old 01-14-2015, 06:08 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,004 Likes on 2,282 Posts

Originally Posted by Shivatron
The "orange things" are these rather large (maybe 6" high at the peak?) turtles placed at the apex of some corners. They have a bit of a ramp to the edges but if you hit something that tall moving at any speed, it's probably not going to be good for the car. You need to really cut the apex to hit them.
Ok mental note to self....stay off anything ORANGE!
Old 01-14-2015, 06:17 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I remember seeing one of the DP cars hit one the first yr they raced there. It took off a whole lot of the bodywork.
I hit one in 15(?). The slow left hander before high speed rh sweeper. Luckily I was slow enough it didnt hurt anything.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:17 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

i saw a Subaru brz or something like that hit the one in T1 and crater his left front suspension.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:28 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

You have to be pretty freaking off line to hit the orange pyramids of doom, I wouldn't worry about it honestly. Most the time people are too far off the apex and not even touching the rumble strip. I ride the heck out of the rumble strips especially in 2-7 and T9.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:35 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Shivatron
BMW?
Shake, Surlyn, Sierra and I will be there with BMW as well.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:39 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

The orange boulders on the inside of the corner are generally a couple of inches away from where my tire is. It depends on the corner as to how close I come to the track out boulders. You don't really want to hit them, really bad for the suspension as Surlyn says.

Last edited by Texas RS; 01-15-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:47 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I'm in looking forward to it! Will need training wheels. Does MVP offer instructors? Need to ping them. Would like a ride a long for a couple sessions.
MVP does not offer instruction. Driver coach's are allowed as well as lead follow. If you are in my run group I can do some lead follow with you, worked pretty good at Sebring with Lar and ChrisF.

Peter
Old 01-14-2015, 09:47 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

ShakeNBake, Surlyn Kid, SierraLima and I are in garage 9 and I think Rovman, TGaven and another friend are in garage 10.

usctrojan,

MVP doesn't have instructors, but ShakeNBake (in RickyBobby) and I will be there as well as other PCA instructors. If you really want someone in the car Veloce Raptor is from Austin and may be available for in-car coaching.

The track is not that bad, tons of runoff and not that many places to get into real trouble.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:56 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rovman
I will be there, may bring the new 991 GT3 to try it out on the track.
Bring it over, with you at the wheel we will have a good view on what the car can really do...
Old 01-15-2015, 12:34 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

I'm in garage 10 with Rovman. Yellow group.

Rovman, bring the 991.
And thanks for letting me drive it today. Even though the drive was short and slow, it is an amazing car. Feels and looks amazing. You did well.

Ps, any volunteers too help tow Rovman's 996 to the track from Katy? That may convince him. A few sessions in each.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:35 AM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Your welcome Tor, anytime my friend. We will have to do it again when the situation is better for a better test drive next time.

Texas RS, Surlyn, you guys are far to generous with your comments. I am curious to see how it will perform on the track as well. There are a few things (pads fluid flush, minor alignment tweaks) I want to do to the car before taking it to the track. To be honest, I can't stop driving it long enough for someone with a wrench to get close to it.

Another downer is I def. won't have time to install the roll bar and harnesses in time as there isn't much aftermarket available to accomodate the harnesses yet. I don't want to use a part (sub bar) intended for another car and "make it work". So I was going to wait until the aftermarket caught up a bit with parts and options.

After all, I have the dedicated track car (6GT3 ) anyway. It's tempting though. I may still bring it. We will see.
Whichever car I am in though, I can't wait for COTA. Always love going there. Looking forward to seeing other rennlisters there as well.

See everyone soon.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:48 AM
Rene
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spyerx no instructors for MVP but there are some coaches avail.

I few of us have lots of time on this track you can hit me up in Garage 8 for some tips. I will have coaching wrist band if you need more help.

BTW the T19 orange bollard is not high I go right over that one learned that from VR!
Old 02-08-2015, 02:58 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Originally Posted by Rene
Spyerx no instructors for MVP but there are some coaches avail.

I few of us have lots of time on this track you can hit me up in Garage 8 for some tips. I will have coaching wrist band if you need more help.

BTW the T19 orange bollard is not high I go right over that one learned that from VR!
Thanks for the offer. We'll be in Garage #5 with 85gold & USCTrojan.

Assume 85 will have his Civic there, I'll have the silver RS, USC in purple urkle RS aka barney aka violet.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:03 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Thanks for the offer. We'll be in Garage #5 with 85gold & USCTrojan.

Assume 85 will have his Civic there, I'll have the silver RS, USC in purple urkle RS aka barney aka violet.
Yep YE old Civic will be there. Rene is a good guy but does drove a Vette Hollis our garage mate will droving his K swap Miater if it finished in time. If not he will be in his CRX.

Peter

Quick Reply: Roll Call - COTA MVP