Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Socal Track day - Chuckwalla 12/28 - Last of year!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 01:12 PM
Protocav
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

As much as i enjoy CW, it almost looks like CCW flows better!?!

Lookin' smooth out there.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:18 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,119 Posts

Originally Posted by thekid96
Damn that Mustang.
Oh, and I had a trailer tire blow out on the way home. I think USC made it home easier than me.
You guys had a great battle going. You get turn 1 and you have him!!!

Sucks on trailer tire... ironic we were just chatting about that...
Old 12-29-2014, 01:21 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Protocav
As much as i enjoy CW, it almost looks like CCW flows better!?!

Lookin' smooth out there.
Things are starting to click. The coaching I invested in at BW helped a few problem areas that literally took seconds off.

I prefer CCW by far. Some say that CW opens up better in the corners, but the track just feels more natural to me CCW. Also, the track owner claims CCW is faster by about .5-1 sec, mainly due to back straight being slightly down hill and the shot out of the bowl to the back straight (highest speed on track).

PCA SDR should be fun... look forward to it. I expect track to be fast with lots of PB as long as wind stays put.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:47 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,087 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by thekid96
Damn that Mustang.
Oh, and I had a trailer tire blow out on the way home. I think USC made it home easier than me.
Oh man, that sucks. Hopefully it wasn't too bad of a blow out and you got home at a reasonable time. I set my cruise control at 65 and kept my fingers crossed (stayed in 7th gear around 2k rpm). I was shocked that the car got 35mpg too. haha The tires held all of the air even through this morning when I dropped off the car at GSR. I'll know later on today if the tires are still good.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:58 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,087 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
There were a few RL'ers who showed up too. Unfortunately as USC mentioned he caught 2 wheels on a curb (from off track!! ). We're still trying to understand the physics behind his incident, we are waiting for a drawing.
Since I'm not a graphics designer I'll print up a track map and put pen to paper. I was fighting massive understeer in the car through all of the sweepers and the bowl given that I have no camber. I went 2 wheels off when trying to make that left off the back straight so I straightened it out and went 4 off and didn't try to correct and shoot across the track. The cubing on the outside of the berm is about 3 inches higher than the dirt and I clipped the driver side wheels against the outside of that berm at 20-30 degrees. Had I hit it at 90 degrees I probably would have bent all 4 wheels. Despite battling understeer all of the 2 sessions that I was out there, I was still able to get a 2:04 flat. I know I could have gotten into the 2:03s, maybe high 2:02s. Suspension is next on the list for mods. Can't wait for the JRZs to arrive.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:53 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Smartcam Hd looks pretty good. Easy to setup?
Old 12-29-2014, 07:31 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kormaster
Smartcam Hd looks pretty good. Easy to setup?
Umm.... :-) conceptually not hard, getting it all working as I want.... needs a little work. By end of day it's plug and play. Need to tweak a few things still. Think this is a good tool and very well built.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:46 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Umm.... :-) conceptually not hard, getting it all working as I want.... needs a little work. By end of day it's plug and play. Need to tweak a few things still. Think this is a good tool and very well built.
i do not want to think - I just want to drive and have it record w data overlayed. Which version did you get? Bullet cam or the big square box version (i think there is version 2 now)
Old 12-29-2014, 07:56 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

i do not want to think - I just want to drive and have it record w data overlayed. Which version did you get? Bullet cam or the big square box version (i think there is version 2 now)
v2, big square box. For your car i'd get the bullet I think. . i think the bullet has advantage of weight - this is why there is some bounce in the video. Working to stabilize the mount (RAM) I'm using.

Once setup it is plug and play. Pull away and it starts to record, just like the Solo works. Do run, pull memory card out and play on computer with overlay. Data is still on the Solo DL for detail analysis.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:19 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

v2, big square box. For your car i'd get the bullet I think. . i think the bullet has advantage of weight - this is why there is some bounce in the video. Working to stabilize the mount (RAM) I'm using.

Once setup it is plug and play. Pull away and it starts to record, just like the Solo works. Do run, pull memory card out and play on computer with overlay. Data is still on the Solo DL for detail analysis.

so with bulletcam version, I can have the camera by the roll bar or wherever but the main brain unit "box" can be stored by the center console or ease of accessibility ?
Old 12-29-2014, 08:29 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

so with bulletcam version, I can have the camera by the roll bar or wherever but the main brain unit "box" can be stored by the center console or ease of accessibility ?
I think the longest bullet-brain cable is 2m. So as long as that works. Then the brain links to your Solo DL with another cable. So you get the timer dash display, the engine data, all your typical g/gps data, the video, and all this stuff overlaid realtime on the video.

Cool thing for your 'race' car is if you every decide to get a full dash like the MXL this camera will work with it.

The new HDv2 stand alone and the bullet version both have audio inputs. The old stand alone did not have an audio input. The built in mic is pretty good (the above video is build in mic), will try my in-car mic I have setup next event. I'm also going to wire in a jack for use with coaching sessions - that way I can get the coach yelling at me to gas, brake, and hit my apexes on the videos, with the data :-)

Assume you'll do the chuck event with PCA at end of Jan? I can show you the setup then. it's pretty slick.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:02 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

^Cool

compared to go pro 2/3, it seems like video is a bit more grainy or is it youtube compression?

Back to the topic - Chuck is a fun track for sure and I do like CCW (only cuz it is the only direction ive gone LOL)
Old 12-29-2014, 09:07 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

gopro video is sharper and higher quality. the aim is 720p HD vs 1080p+ for the go pro. I need to work on the spot metering and also the mount location/arm to make it more solid plus better focus.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:45 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Spyerx, nice driving. Car looks good with BBS. The Aim HD vid is nice too.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:40 PM
thekid96
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Oh man, that sucks. Hopefully it wasn't too bad of a blow out and you got home at a reasonable time. I set my cruise control at 65 and kept my fingers crossed (stayed in 7th gear around 2k rpm). I was shocked that the car got 35mpg too. haha The tires held all of the air even through this morning when I dropped off the car at GSR. I'll know later on today if the tires are still good.
You jinxed all of my tires for the day...funny thing is i didn't even know the tire was flat until a couple cars flagged me down.

Quick Reply: Socal Track day - Chuckwalla 12/28 - Last of year!