Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Best source for finding a quality used GT2 or GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 11:37 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Post a WTB, the best deals are the ones never advertised. I just bought a 13K mile 07 mint car from a private seller that contacted me and did not list the car.
This is what I've done twice and gotten the exact car I wanted almost immediately. I also changed my signature to say what I was looking for. You never know...
Old 12-14-2014, 01:12 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Maybe a reputable guy like Mooty could become, for a small fee of course, the middle man for all GT2/3 transactions, hooking up buyers and sellers. I guess what I was hoping for is some rich old geezer, maybe a little down on his luck in the oil markets who would be willing to trade his trailer queen 997 GT2 for my pristine 05 C2S plus 90-100 cash! Oh... I'd prefer GT silver and located somewhere near central coastal CA.
J
Old 12-14-2014, 01:16 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

997 gt2 is not high production and GT silver is not a common color on 997gt2. so you have to be patient. there's a dark color GT2 (not sure blue or blk) on RL. Mepp i think. you might take a look at that.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:48 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mooty! I was hoping you would surface and chime in. Best
Jim
Old 12-14-2014, 08:13 AM
mepps
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mines gone
Old 12-14-2014, 09:32 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As someone who jumped into their first GT3 only two weeks ago, I understand the OP's search questions. My son, former Boxster/996/now Elise driver, is uniquely talented in his ability to ferret out cars for sale. We researched the usual on-line sites, and googled other GT3's out there on the market. I sold my pristine '97 Carrera S via Autotrader, took the time to post really good pictures and and in the end it went to Texas for above market value, because it was an above market value car. But GT3's (all of my comments are of course my own opinion) are substantially more expensive and appeal to a much smaller and selective group of drivers. I suspect many GT3 owners are on this forum, and move in a circle of other folks with these superlative machines.

I also think that some owners are contemplating selling their Porsches, and may be prompted to act when they see someone is looking for what their car is. That is how our GT3 came to South Carolina. Chris posted on this forum such a query, and was contacted by someone who was pondering such a move, and with a few phone calls, the deal was completed in several days. Our car already had a PPI, which was fine, so there were no delays.

I believe a prospective owner has to carefully think over what is a deal breaker for their acquisition, have a plan to retrieve a distant car, have the money in hand, be patient, and keep vigilance on this forum and do a google search every day to see what cars come and go.

And yes, sometimes you do have to wade thru lists of other Porsche's for sale. I also feel that dickering over a few thousands in cost may let another purchaser slip in and drive away "your" GT3. I paid perhaps $5K or so over what our car would likely have sold for, but it came with over $30K worth of after-sale additions and modifications.

I have had a wonderful variety of sports and high performance cars in the past half century, but my GT3 without a doubt is the finest i have ever owned.

To the OP, your patience will be rewarded in due time.

All the best...
Old 12-14-2014, 10:49 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 993Brendan
This is what I've done twice and gotten the exact car I wanted almost immediately. I also changed my signature to say what I was looking for. You never know...
Yep sellers want to deal with real buyers not tire kickers and dreamers
Old 12-14-2014, 01:47 PM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by mepps
mines gone
Not sure to congratulate you or not.

With the red wheels and black tail lights? Still can't believe you got so many comments about such small items.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:03 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NAM VET
As someone who jumped into their first GT3 only two weeks ago, I understand the OP's search questions. My son, former Boxster/996/now Elise driver, is uniquely talented in his ability to ferret out cars for sale. We researched the usual on-line sites, and googled other GT3's out there on the market. I sold my pristine '97 Carrera S via Autotrader, took the time to post really good pictures and and in the end it went to Texas for above market value, because it was an above market value car. But GT3's (all of my comments are of course my own opinion) are substantially more expensive and appeal to a much smaller and selective group of drivers. I suspect many GT3 owners are on this forum, and move in a circle of other folks with these superlative machines.

I also think that some owners are contemplating selling their Porsches, and may be prompted to act when they see someone is looking for what their car is. That is how our GT3 came to South Carolina. Chris posted on this forum such a query, and was contacted by someone who was pondering such a move, and with a few phone calls, the deal was completed in several days. Our car already had a PPI, which was fine, so there were no delays.

I believe a prospective owner has to carefully think over what is a deal breaker for their acquisition, have a plan to retrieve a distant car, have the money in hand, be patient, and keep vigilance on this forum and do a google search every day to see what cars come and go.

And yes, sometimes you do have to wade thru lists of other Porsche's for sale. I also feel that dickering over a few thousands in cost may let another purchaser slip in and drive away "your" GT3. I paid perhaps $5K or so over what our car would likely have sold for, but it came with over $30K worth of after-sale additions and modifications.

I have had a wonderful variety of sports and high performance cars in the past half century, but my GT3 without a doubt is the finest i have ever owned.

To the OP, your patience will be rewarded in due time.

All the best...
Congratulations on finding your dream car. These are exactly my observations so far. There were so few made, especially GT2, I know its a 'needle'. I think a big part of the fun is the search, the cool people you meet, and hey I have a Carrera S, paid for , to drive while I look.
J

Quick Reply: Best source for finding a quality used GT2 or GT3?