Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Nor cal drives/meets this weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 04:06 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
friday is PDC private at TH. all you can drive.
sat sunday is PCA SDR at BW (reg close saturday, do it now)
I have to be at work on Friday, and driving Thunderhill with BMW on Sat-Sun. I thought about BW, but probably should have done BW instead. For some reason I thought the drive to BW was longer than it really is and decided to do Thill instead.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:30 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Nice shots, Dan!

I sure hope that I can make it next time...waking the cows up is awfully fun!
Old 11-09-2014, 07:36 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

nice drive as usual!

max, BW isn't too far for a two day event.
i am towing from TH to BW, likely 7 hours. ugh...
Old 11-09-2014, 07:50 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 756 Posts

Awesome.

Gorgeous GT2.
I was offered a perfect one, completely stock silver with16k miles the other day.
I think they will be going up in price following all things GT up...
Old 11-09-2014, 09:28 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 977 Likes on 365 Posts

Other than the unscheduled pit stop, it was a lot of fun. Wet roads kept the speed down but the scenery needs to be appreciated too.

Thanks for tracking us down Dan. Always nice to have a talented photographer in our ranks
Old 11-09-2014, 10:35 PM
Nine1won
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 32 Posts

Great ride Chris! Thx for leading again. Dan, thx for the pictures. Nice meeting Henry and Wayne too.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:21 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,194 Likes on 761 Posts

Great day in the curves of Marin. Being new to the Porsche brand it is fantastic to see what they can do and how they can sound. Now I see why there are all these posts about fitting different exhausts.

I was having so much fun that I found myself past Samuel P Taylor State Park before I remembered there were Sport and Sport Plus buttons. These cars hold a lot in reserve!

Today was my first chance to play with the car since I got it. My commute driving is pure freeway and time constraints can be grueling.

After today I know I am going to have to spend some time stroking the lower dash controls without looking down. I never had steer wander looking down in the cabin in a car before, but I also never had a Porsche before! The steering is amazingly precise. I have noticed this (drift right) problem a couple of times before today as well on this car. Ugh ... My skills (?) require revival!

To that end, the politely termed pitstop mentioned by others proved to be a tire that would not seal - debris in the bead. Ultimately CSAA towed me in to Petaluma for a stop at Big O. No damage and they had me back on the road in no time. Just figured the witnesses should know the results.

And Henry, my apologies for making you drive through my dust.

NOTE: Randy, the owner of this Big O, loses money every Sunday, but figures he has a community obligation to be open anyway. Nice guy, and a savoir today. Also, the tow service assigned to this section of the 1 was excellent. Nothing but praise.

Meanwhile, I get the feeling these cars are so good that the limits can't be tested outside of a track. Hmmmmm.

Thanks to all of you today for letting me ride with you. It was an honor and a pleasure, truly.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:42 AM
Nine1won
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 32 Posts

Great meeting and driving with you Wayne. Glad car is ok and don't worry about the pit stop. Happens to all of us!
Old 11-10-2014, 03:10 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 977 Likes on 365 Posts

+1 glad you and the car are ok.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:09 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,194 Likes on 761 Posts

Thanks again for the kindness. Picking up other people's bikes (or towing four wheelers out of the desert) in past years, I met people who weren't always understanding or sympathetic to the delays! You were all great. It did not go unnoticed.

I got an advanced course yesterday learning what my car could do, letting a few car lengths slip away in the first turns, experimenting with lines and braking points. Without the cars in front of me, it could have easily been a dozen weekends getting to where you graduated me to in a dozen turns. I know this. You should too.

Of course, given the conditions, my AWD cheated, giving me an advantage. I am sure on dryer warmer roads that would not be the case and you would have quickly slipped out of sight!

That being said, my plan is to put in a few DEs between now and my next ride with you. I do need to get my concentration and familiarity pushed up a few levels. That's only fair.

In the meantime, thanks for a great day and I look forward to the next.

Quick Reply: Nor cal drives/meets this weekend?