Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

991 GT3 is not a 911

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 07:04 AM
hesperus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

totally agree with the OP.

here's how i look at it, having driven (albeit briefly) a 991GT3 back-to-back with my 997.1 GT3.

the new car is better-- much better-- in just about every measurable category. faster, handles better, brakes better, safer, more forgiging, more comfortable, more refined. and yes, it has to be said, looks the best of any car to wear the GT3 badge, IMO.

anyone that says it is not "exciting" or "involving" doesn't know what they're talking about.

HAVING SAID THAT... the older car is harder work-- because it is harsher, because it isn't as stable, because it requires rowing the gears yourself, and because it is generally just more tiring to drive.

but i'm now down to driving my cars at most once a week, for maybe 2-3 hrs on Sunday mornings. i hardly get out to the track anymore, and i'm more interested in simply feeling "alive" driving the few times I do drive, than setting better lap times. and for those 2-3 hrs, i prefer the feeling of having "worked" at driving the older car.

i'm no luddite, and i love the new tech. and won't stand in the way of it. and i would LOVE to have a 991 GT3 (RS please!) in my garage next to my 997.1. but for how I drive right now, the older car is the right car for me.

YMMV of course!
Old 11-06-2014, 07:36 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

^ Agree. The 991 technology is very impressive - but would not trade my 997 for one.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:55 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Can anybody give me a real example of someone who really doesn't know what they are doing and are actually driving fast on track with a GTR?? Anyone? I've never seen it. Ever. Guess what? Never will. Why? Because I don't car how advanced a car is, you still actually need skills to drive fast. How many have seen GTRs driven horribly and pulling lap times waaay below what they should be doing? Many hands will raise up to confirm that observation.

This whole mantra of 'any idiot' can drive a particular car fast is a bunch of baloney. Anyone that thinks that is the case probably isn't driving their own car properly. Are certain cars more forgiving? Yes. Do certain cars allow you to make mistakes and save you? Yes. Do certain cars seem fast when driven at 5/10ths because you are only driving at 7/10ths with a slower car? Yes. Do certain cars allow you to get blistering lap times if you actually know what you are doing? Absolutely.

Any idiot can drive fast? No way.
Ding ding ding....you can end this thread with Joe's post!
Old 11-06-2014, 09:58 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Whot? Are we worried about riff-raff in the "I can drive a 911 fast" Club? That seems to be the problem.

If the 1.3 could tow, I would tow my 997 to the track with it. I wish I could have one as a daily driver. Instead, I am stuck with a chipped SUV.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:41 AM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
The 1.3 is very fast in a drag race - I had no chance on the front straight at TWS. 3.8RS is down ~50HP it seemed like. He was easy to catch in the corners, and even though I got the jump on him leaving T15, he still pulled effortlessly away, much like happens with a GT2....
You need more cowbell.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:55 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 454 Posts

Can anybody give me a real example of someone who really doesn't know what they are doing and are actually driving fast on track with a GTR?? Anyone? I've never seen it. Ever. Guess what? Never will. Why? Because I don't car how advanced a car is, you still actually need skills to drive fast. How many have seen GTRs driven horribly and pulling lap times waaay below what they should be doing? Many hands will raise up to confirm that observation.

This whole mantra of 'any idiot' can drive a particular car fast is a bunch of baloney. Anyone that thinks that is the case probably isn't driving their own car properly. Are certain cars more forgiving? Yes. Do certain cars allow you to make mistakes and save you? Yes. Do certain cars seem fast when driven at 5/10ths because you are only driving at 7/10ths with a slower car? Yes. Do certain cars allow you to get blistering lap times if you actually know what you are doing? Absolutely.

I would put it a different way. GT-r gives an average driver a big dose of confidence. The downside is it encourages driving above ones skill set. Anecdote when I had my Boss at Sebring a buddy had his GT-r and we rode in each other's cars. The GT-r was faster but the Boss was more fun in his opinion. I was hooning a little and carrying some slip angle in a few corners. I was around 3 sec off the Boss best and his GT-r was 10 to 12 sec off its potential.

I have gotten over the need to be the fastest, I am average drover at best BUT I want envolvement in my driving not Nannies. Besides the $$$$ now are way more than I feel comfortable with on the track.

Peter
Old 11-06-2014, 03:55 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Shouldn't this topic be moved over to 991 gt3 forum? I guarantee you way more responses and debate. Mike
Old 11-06-2014, 03:56 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

This is an excellent post. Let's be real - any idiot can drive a 997 also (fast or not) if you think about it that way. On the street? What, when you're going 5/10ths?

"Any idiot" phrase doesn't apply on the street either unless you're talking about the original 911 or an early Carrera driving fast in wet twisties. That takes skill. Remember, to the air-cooled aficianados 996 and 997 aren't real 911s either.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:58 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

I agree with 85gold. Any car is pretty fun on the track cept my smartfortwo. Mike
Old 11-06-2014, 04:12 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,630 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by hesperus
the new car is better-- much better-- in just about every measurable category. faster, handles better, brakes better, safer, more forgiging, more comfortable, more refined. and yes, it has to be said, looks the best of any car to wear the GT3 badge, IMO.

anyone that says it is not "exciting" or "involving" doesn't know what they're talking about.

HAVING SAID THAT... the older car is harder work-- because it is harsher, because it isn't as stable, because it requires rowing the gears yourself, and because it is generally just more tiring to drive.

but i'm now down to driving my cars at most once a week, for maybe 2-3 hrs on Sunday mornings. i hardly get out to the track anymore, and i'm more interested in simply feeling "alive" driving the few times I do drive, than setting better lap times. and for those 2-3 hrs, i prefer the feeling of having "worked" at driving the older car.

i'm no luddite, and i love the new tech. and won't stand in the way of it. and i would LOVE to have a 991 GT3 (RS please!) in my garage next to my 997.1. but for how I drive right now, the older car is the right car for me.

YMMV of course!
Right. And it comes with 4 years warranty.
Drove my race legal RSA 250 miles to Miami and back yesterday. In a Thunderstorm downpour. Without seat belts. On slicks. That is tiring but we made it. Thinking about starting to smoke and drink more.

Originally Posted by 85Gold
I have gotten over the need to be the fastest, I am average drover at best BUT I want envolvement in my driving not Nannies. Besides the $$$$ now are way more than I feel comfortable with on the track.

Peter
So you are also getting a 964?
Old 11-06-2014, 04:13 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,630 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
I agree with 85gold. Any car is pretty fun on the track cept my smartfortwo. Mike
LOL
Old 11-06-2014, 04:14 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

I am not sure what your question really is. I have had the pleasure/misfortune of instructing many students in GTRs, and a couple instructor candidates for that matter - not that this means anything about their driving skills....

Fact is that you can carry way more speed in a GTR without actually being able to understand driving dynamics and cadence. Modern engineering will solve all of the at the limit issues that usually results in offroad excursions. Most students in GTRs run out of room in Green or Blue (Our novice groups in Texas) long before they actually have what I would consider to be intermediate driving skills. WORSE YET, some students are promoted to higher run groups because the instructor judges their skill based on speed. I think this is what people refer to....it's being able to carry a lot of speed, without being responsible for it.

I presume everyone here will this when I say the 911 is not an easy car to drive at the limit. Having learned to drive fast/race in BMWs, going to the GT3 was a shocker. Granted the 997 was easier than the 996, which was easier than the 993....etc. I don't really think it's that important for the discussion, other than to say the 991 is another step function in engineering that allows one to carry far more speed than one is truly responsible for.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:37 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

Rule #1 in my book is make it lightweight. Beyond that almost everything else is up for debate.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:41 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by CYKBC
The 911 has had a tough history. It's a real trick to become extinct not more than once, but multiple times as I've heard the same claims in the 993, 964, you name it 911 forum.

Long live the king is all I'll say. I thought the 991 GT3 was wonderful to drive as echoed in pro reviews.
sure seems so on the 991 GT3 board, would love to get a ride in one (or even drive one, one day)

sounds like a beast
Old 11-06-2014, 04:54 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
Rule #1 in my book is make it lightweight. Beyond that almost everything else is up for debate.
+110. Always in favor of any lightening of any car. Better longevity on all consumables. Mike

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 is not a 911