Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Tow vehicle selection

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 05:39 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
That's all quite true, but a 7.3 well under the $25K budget, and it is a rough ride, no creature comforts and one man's reliable is another man's "constant maintenance headache."
As for the 6.0 reputation, you need to talk to independent service shops. Once you do minor preventative work (intake, turbo and exhaust emissions plumbing) the engine is solid unless asked to deliver more than stock hp and torque.
I've towed most of 100K on a 6.0 Excursion which has never let me down even once and returns 17 mpg all day or 12-14 towing. But just try to find one for $20K even though it's an '05, unless it's a basket case, and the "problem" 6.0's tend to have been abused, so I agree to generally stay away and look to an '08 or '10 and find the budget or reconsider the criteria and budget.
For the $25K budget, I don't have a good example in a four door heavy duty pickup. A gas-guzzler V8 will drink a lot of extra fuel, but a cheaper Suburban or F150 might be logical compromise.
The budget might be reconstructed as a cash flow, or as a total cost of ownership. After all, in any given five year stretch, the total cost of owning a $25K used pickup can be about the same as owning a $45K pickup from purchase to sale including depreciation.
Otherwise, consider a newer model incentive purchase or lease. A new F150 or Dodge RAM. Both are very impressively advanced in their new models and could replace an existing family SUV instead of add a tow vehicle to the stuff parked outside.
That's at least my rationalization and the cash flow on a new F150 (or Chev/GM or RAM to a fair extent) including its retained value and near fungible resale value and usefulness as a family vehicle and utility for DIY pastimes, etc.
The F250 and all the heavy duty vehicles are too big to park, too big to drive in the city, and generally don't earn their pay except when used in those few miles when an F150 would be struggling. If you're towing a 15K trailer or goose/5th every month and long haul 500 miles to the track, the HD pickups pay their way.
My experience comes from owning two 7.3s and the current generation 6.7. I've also towed thousands of miles with the 6.0 and 6.4 both giving me issues during my track travels. You seem to have had good luck with your 6.0, but the EGR is a known point of catastrophic failure on that model year, even a cursory glance over on Ford Trucks will reveal this.

Power aside, the heavy duty vehicles offer you the piece of mind that you can stop whatever you're towing behind you. Having the tail wag the dog is a dangerous situation to be in, and towing a 26' trailer with a F150, suburban, or even an Excursion might be borderline. It's really easy to load up a trailer.

I guess it depends what the OP wants to do. There are many variables we can't speak to. When I was plane shopping, the best advice that I was given was to choose one that fit my 80% mission profile, otherwise it's too easy to add in "what ifs"
Old 10-12-2014, 06:24 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 113 Posts

I wanna be able to in comfort tow down to so cal and bring my gt3 with me or a spec miata in both cases have tools spares and tires to ensure a smooth time

Second use will be to haul crap around and maybe even a Tahoe truck in crap weather

Comfortable and reliable a must

Maybe a shorter lighter trailer will do it but Mooty would frown on that
Old 10-12-2014, 06:41 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by ngng
You can pick up a 7.3L F250/F350, chip it, add all the coolers and gauges you'd need, and get a dually easily, under $25k. One of the most reliable tow rigs out there.
Indeed. 1999-2002 7.3L F250/F350 is one of the most reliable diesels known to man.
If you can find a good clean example then nab it. Affordable hauler.

To the O.P, if you decide on 2003-2007 6.0L F250/F350 you will want to perform the EGR delete as it is a fix to most problems.

The 2008-2012 F250/350 6.4L Twin turbo has had mixed reviews.

The 2013+ F250/F350 require cab off to work on the diesel....
Old 10-12-2014, 06:51 PM
ngng
Drifting

Originally Posted by audipwr1
I wanna be able to in comfort tow down to so cal and bring my gt3 with me or a spec miata in both cases have tools spares and tires to ensure a smooth time

Second use will be to haul crap around and maybe even a Tahoe truck in crap weather

Comfortable and reliable a must

Maybe a shorter lighter trailer will do it but Mooty would frown on that
The new F150, depending on the config, can tow upwards of 11k. Any used heavy duty will work. There are weight variations in trailers, Featherlite/alum are about 3K# and others around 4K#. Add in a 3-4K# car. You're at 7-8K#. Tools, spares, easily 1K+#

You'll want to look at your total gross weight, with people (4 adults * 175#) gear, and all your other crap. You can get up on that your total carry weight easily, even if you're under your tow rating. No idea what the F150 costs though.

How do you define comfort? I can do a tow to SoCal in my King Ranch F350, or my buddies base model F250. Both are comfortable, though I do prefer my truck
Old 10-12-2014, 06:57 PM
ngng
Drifting

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Indeed. 1999-2002 7.3L F250/F350 is one of the most reliable diesels known to man.
If you can find a good clean example then nab it. Affordable hauler.

To the O.P, if you decide on 2003-2007 6.0L F250/F350 you will want to perform the EGR delete as it is a fix to most problems.

The 2008-2012 F250/350 6.4L Twin turbo has had mixed reviews.

The 2013+ F250/F350 require cab off to work on the diesel....
Minor correction, the 6.7L F250/350 was 2011+.

That engine is pretty packed in there, when I was doing my EGR delete one of the studs snapped on the exhaust manifold. Damn near **** myself.

With the 6.7, the major "gotcha" is you also have to be careful with water in fuel. The 6.7 (Ford and Dodge) used a CP4 fuel pump and a common high pressure fuel rail. You will read of occurrences where water entered the fuel system and the fuel pump would destroy itself. Since it used a common fuel rail you'd have to replace the entire fuel system. Using quality fuel, draining your OEM filter, and adding an inline fuel solution (like the Dieselsite prefilter) are all good ideas.

Quick Reply: Tow vehicle selection