Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New PCCB pads: proper bed-in procedure?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 07:03 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts
Default New PCCB pads: proper bed-in procedure?

Hey Guys,

Installed new PCCB pads and did a little research on proper bed-in. I found some information from Total911 and some information from the Porsche service manual. They have 2 different approaches to this and wondering what you guys think?

From Total911:
http://www.total911.com/how-to-bed-i...eramic-brakes/

From the Porsche Service manual:
"New brake pads require a slightly longer bedding-in period for PCCB brake discs than cast iron brake discs.
In general, the following applies: new brake pads must be worn in (bedding-in period), their optimum braking effect is therefore not reached until after a few hundred kilometres. The slightly reduced braking effect must be compensated for by increased pressure on the brake pedal. The same also applies after a brake disc change."

Also some debate on PistonHeads:
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=849818

TIA
Old 09-23-2014, 07:19 PM
John Chan
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had changed 2 set of pads for track days and I did not bed in. Had not noticed any decrease in friction level after few laps. No rotor shake ever.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:01 AM
J. Kid
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I've just replaced my PCCB pads as well. I'm going with bed in process on Pagid's website. Figured the maker of the pad would know best. 4-6 applications with medium pressure from 90-50. 300-400 meters b/w application for cooling. Immediately followed by high speed run from 110 to 50 mph with medium to high pressure (don't get into abs) then 3-4 applications of light breaking. Repeat high speed and light breaking 2-3 more time. Allow cooling off 500 meters b/w high speed runs. Oh and be sure to have excellent radar detector :-)
Old 09-27-2014, 01:31 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had mine replaced last August and my tech did most of the bedding described above. I went out on a track day and completed this just before.
Tried not to do light braking around town till then to minimize squeaking.
Brakes are great and I'm am getting great wear on these new Porsche OEM Motorsport pads. My tech thinks a newish formulation that wears better. Have done about 10 DE days this year.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:47 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys. Much appreciated.

Quick Reply: New PCCB pads: proper bed-in procedure?