Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Thoughts from SPA trip

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 12:17 PM
rs4_saloon
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts from SPA trip

Just got back from Europe and had the chance to watch F1 -Monza. What a great experience that was although the GP2 cars definitely sound better than the F1 cars. We sat at the first chicane where all the passes took place.

Few thoughts:
Definitely shocking to see Nico blow through the braking zone twice
Danny was cooking towards the end of the race with the fresh tires and had some great passes in the braking zone
Perez/Magnasun batter through out was great to watch
Bottas is one heck of a driver and he's in a great car as well

Afterwards, we went over to SPA and did a track day with RSR. RSR is definitely expensive compared to the states but wasn't gonna miss a chance to drive SPA. They put on a really good event but the rules over in europe were quite different than what I was use to with PCA. No run groups (it's always a hot track so feel free to go out and come in whenever you want), windows up, no point by passing on any side and anywhere, you can drive with passengers that aren't instructors or other drivers at pace.

I rented an BMW M135i from RSR and also opted for one hour of instructor time. The instructors were top notch and are mainly race car drivers in current european series. My instructor showed me his lines in the M135 for 2 laps and then sat with me for 2 laps to make sure I go them.

The M135i was a bit disappointing as it had street tires, FADED brakes and I was use to my GT3. I was able to do 2-4 laps and then the tires would get too hot and the brakes were toast so back to the pits for cool down.

Eau Rouge is everything as advertised and then some. RSR does a track walk for the first hour which I highly recommend and we covered Eau Rouge and Pouhon. Amazing to walk that track.

My wife came out for a few laps and i happened to cook Pouhon while she was in the car. Her reaction afterwards was great "This isn't your GT3" hahaha.

All in all, i'd recommend using RSR for the ring or spa on your visits over the pond.

Pretty cool to be in SPA with an aventador, 458 speciale and about 8 991 GT3s. Here are some pics and vids. I managed a 3:04.1 as my fastest time in the M135
Old 09-15-2014, 12:18 PM
rs4_saloon
Rennlist Member

Old 09-15-2014, 12:19 PM
rs4_saloon
Rennlist Member

3:04 lap with M135i at SPA

Old 09-15-2014, 12:20 PM
rs4_saloon
Rennlist Member