997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Jay Leno tracking a GT3 RS ... on carbon fiber wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014 | 05:56 PM
FJSeattle
Pro

CR keeps bragging about this new OEM partner who will be bringing their technology to market, I wonder if Ford is putting it on their new F150.

Basically we have to wait for this release plus some time for market correction, then with the theory behind economics of scale holding true, pricing should come down enough to be competitive with current AL offerings.

Any race car teams running these things? Have they provided any durability or data from testing?

If not, I will offer up my services to test the wheels on the track with Hoosiers for a season.
Old 09-01-2014 | 10:52 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Anyone know the comparative qualities between magnesium alloy wheels (i.e. like the optional OEM WP wheels for the 918) versus carbon fiber?
Old 09-02-2014 | 12:07 AM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Damn I hate to have to say anything but threads like this are total bullcrap.
Okay gentlemen, lets scrutinize the words. This guy from Carbon revolution stated these wheels would reduce the "unsprung weight" by 42 lbs all around. meaning all four corners.
Now sadly for me I am an educated trained animal by the US Army Special Forces with 16 years of post-grad training after combat service.

The unsprung weight equation is 3 to 1, meaning multiple each pound of weight reduction by 3. Hence equaling unsprung weight reduction per corner.

So if you are to take this guy's words from Carbon Revolution, this means approx. 2.5 lbs of weight reduction per corner.
Really, really ... BFD!!!!!!
For $15,000 for a set of wheels, please please, what a waste of money. This even if these wheels hold up to track stress.

Sorry but I will buy FOUR sets of excellent Finspeed wheels for $15,000.

These wheels will not make anyone faster.
Total marketing hype and bullcrap.

You want to spend $15,000 then do it to make more power and better handling.
Forget these CF wheels.
A good set of forged aluminum wheels, Finspeed, HRE, BBS, Forgeline or OZ will work just fine.

This guy from Carbon Revolution is selling snake-oil. You guys with money to burn go for it. Those that work HARD HARD HARD their money, please think again.

For $15,000 this is total bull$hit. Did I say BULL$HIT, yes BULL$HIT.
Sorry if some members here can not see the difference.
The rich guys vs. the working guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what's wrong with the forum.

Truly I need to walk away. A low life, scum sucking dog like myself just needs to walk away.

You guys want to swallow the bull$hit ... please ,please, please go ahead.

God this forum has turned into so much bull$hit.

Ranger
Old 09-02-2014 | 12:33 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Hey ranger. I thought with unsprung weight the equation was the other way around. Meaning 1lb unsprung is whatever x in sprung weight?

So if it was 3:1 then 42lbs unsprung is 120lbs sprung.
Old 09-02-2014 | 12:43 AM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Hey ranger. I thought with unsprung weight the equation was the other way around. Meaning 1lb unsprung is whatever x in sprung weight?

So if it was 3:1 then 42lbs unsprung is 120lbs sprung.
Not sure what either one of you are talking about. Unsprung weight refers to the components suspended below the suspension components, such as wheels and tires. If the total unsprung weight is 42 lbs, that would represent an average of a littlle over 10 pounds per wheel.
Old 09-02-2014 | 12:53 AM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Spyerx

Bottomline the equation is 3 to 1. Period end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So as 3:1 then 42lbs unsprung is 120lbs sprung.

Syyerx, I am not sure what you are stating.

FACT: each pound of weight saving is three pounds of unsprung weight savings.
The formula is 3 to 1. That is physisics!!!!!!!!!
Therefore from what this "guy" from Carbon Evolution stated the savings are total bullcrap for a cost of $15.000.
Old 09-02-2014 | 01:00 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RSRanger

Therefore from what this "guy" from Carbon Evolution stated the savings are total bullcrap for a cost of $15.000.
I'm not taking sides with the sprung/unsprung weight discussions, but what about the supposed stiffness of the carbon fiber wheels vis-a-vis its aluminum counterpart?
Old 09-02-2014 | 01:06 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zucc
Not sure what either one of you are talking about. Unsprung weight refers to the components suspended below the suspension components, such as wheels and tires. If the total unsprung weight is 42 lbs, that would represent an average of a littlle over 10 pounds per wheel.
That's right, I understand what unsprung and sprung weight is. See below... I was referring to "discussions" where you see reference to unsprung weight being "more valuable" than sprung weight when removed, by some factor, I've seen 3, I've seen 5, I don't know, I'm not an engineer... I just get that unsprung and rotating mass is important ;-)

I think I understand your point regarding the ratio, if you stating that removing 3 pounds of unsprung weight from the car is the same as removing 1 lb of unsprung weight... then removing 42 lbs of unsprung weight would be like removing 120lbs of sprung weight? Is that right?

The wheels weigh about 42 ACTUAL lbs less than the OEM wheels (which are heavy boat anchors and you could lose at least that 20lbs with finspeed, fikse, forgeline, bbs, etc), and wheels are unsprung weight. How do I know this? I weighed them at the shop. And no, I don't use or own these wheels, I run Fikse multi-piece.

Last edited by Spyerx; 09-02-2014 at 01:25 AM.
Old 09-02-2014 | 12:38 PM
FJSeattle
Pro

Okay gentlemen, lets scrutinize the words. This guy from Carbon revolution stated these wheels would reduce the "unsprung weight" by 42 lbs all around. meaning all four corners.
Now sadly for me I am an educated trained animal by the US Army Special Forces with 16 years of post-grad training after combat service.

The unsprung weight equation is 3 to 1, meaning multiple each pound of weight reduction by 3. Hence equaling unsprung weight reduction per corner.

So if you are to take this guy's words from Carbon Revolution, this means approx. 2.5 lbs of weight reduction per corner.
For $15,000 for a set of wheels, please please, what a waste of money. This even if these wheels hold up to track stress.

Forget these CF wheels.
A good set of forged aluminum wheels, Finspeed, HRE, BBS, Forgeline or OZ will work just fine.

This guy from Carbon Revolution is selling snake-oil. You guys with money to burn go for it. Those that work HARD HARD HARD their money, please think again.

The rich guys vs. the working guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Truly I need to walk away. A low life, scum sucking dog like myself just needs to walk away.

Ranger

Wheels provide a benefit with regards to decreasing rotating mass AND unsprung weight. Of course its not worth $15K to lose 120 lbs when you could just take out the passenger seat and subwoofer to achieve the same thing. Rotating mass is also unsprung weight, so its easy to paint them in one brushstroke -- but they have different jobs. All bourbons are whisky, not all whiskeys are bourbon.

And your anger towards the price is sophomoric at best. People were probably saying the same thing about the 'horse-less carriage' and how expensive they were at the time of release. Then Henry Ford came along and made them affordable...
Old 09-03-2014 | 01:21 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

All bourbons are whisky, not all whiskeys are bourbon.
==> now that's technical...
I'm learning

but all liquor are bitter? I add brown sugar to all of them...
Old 09-03-2014 | 06:57 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Jay looks like he is wearing a flat cap not a helmet- he must have a big swede!
Old 09-03-2014 | 09:06 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

The only odd thing to me is the weights aren't openly published. To a track guy THAT's going to be your biggest selling point and your attempt to justify the price of the wheel.

Their site is creative but never states published weights.

I did find one article claiming a 19x 12" wheel is 7.9KG (17.5 lbs) which is impressive but that was a marketing article, I'd like to see that weight confirmed.

I'll never have the scratch to justify buying these wheels but I enjoy seeing and hearing about "new" technologies. I hope they turn out to be a better product than the Dymags we saw in the automotive and motorcycle community which turned out to be extremely frail wheels and not something I'd ever consider for the track.
Old 09-03-2014 | 11:31 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Whatever. These are mad sick for cars and coffee! ;-)

Forget these CF wheels.

Ranger
Old 09-03-2014 | 11:43 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Weighed at shop. Rears in porsche sizes are about 18lbs rear and 16lbs front. That's 68lbs. OEM set is about 110 lbs (boat anchors). My fikse 18" are 84lbs.

Can't deny that weight, but the price.... When talking with their lead engineer, I said if you want sell a boatload of them: make them in 18", make them 1/2 the price on par with quality forged or multi-piece, and PROVE they have track durability.

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
The only odd thing to me is the weights aren't openly published. To a track guy THAT's going to be your biggest selling point and your attempt to justify the price of the wheel.

Their site is creative but never states published weights.

I did find one article claiming a 19x 12" wheel is 7.9KG (17.5 lbs) which is impressive but that was a marketing article, I'd like to see that weight confirmed.
Old 09-03-2014 | 11:49 AM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

The way that carbon fiber shatters on impact would seem to negate the use of these wheels for wheel-to-wheel racing. Whenever two cars bump wheels, shattering would likely occur instead of just bending the wheel resulting in cut tires for vehicles following and even more caution periods to clean up the shards.

Then again, IMSA-Tudor-NASCAR would probably love that, based on their propensity to bunch up the field to improve the "show".

Quick Reply: Jay Leno tracking a GT3 RS ... on carbon fiber wheels