Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New Convert: loving my new side muffler bypass pipes (long review)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 03:18 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

I love it guy,s ,,,thanks for posting the video,s ,,,,,,,,,,They sound awesome
Old 08-09-2014, 06:31 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Grizfish heard mine today. I think he approved of the sound :-)
Old 08-25-2014, 07:20 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 714 Likes on 359 Posts

So, by way of an update, I liked the sound so much I decided to get my own stock center section and return my buddy's to him. His was the titanium version and the one I sourced from a member was steel. I can say that there is less drone and less volume with the steel unit, so if you are sensitive to drone and/or want to minimize it, I would opt for steel over titanium (I must admit it was painful putting the heavier unit on the car...probably at least a 10 pound difference!). Plus, word on the street is that the steel is less prone to cracking when installed in conjunction with side bypass pipes.

Just can't beat a 40 pound weight reduction from the rear of the car!
Old 09-05-2014, 02:58 PM
djazzy99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the review Scott! I've been contemplating the side muffler delete for some time. the weight and heat you removed is a large factor.

Question: has anybody run the fabspeed rear mini muffler set with side delete? i have the fabspeed set up now and was thinking of doing the side delete but wanted to know if anybody has any experience with that particular set up. I never drive without the sport button but your comment on the stuck valve makes me want to check my car.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:27 AM
AEsco48
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh wow!
Did the Fabspeed side muffler delete in July and was now just able to put on the Fab speed mini center muffler! Sounds great!!! A tad louder, not too much... Just went for a quick spin. Will take her to the office tomm and report back.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:43 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,815 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I've run the side delete pipes with the OEM center exhaust and the fabspeed maxflo (2-in-1 side delete pipes that go a small resonator/muffler on each side then out to larger tips). The fabspeed is definitely a little bit louder.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:24 AM
RedRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had the side delete installed and as some have pointed out, it is pretty loud - good, but much louder than I expected. I'm thinking that on track and with a helmet on it I'll be fine for me, but hope it isn't too obnoxious for others. I know I don't like it when cars are so loud it pierces my ears or makes it so I can't hear my own car.

Between losing the side mufflers, the dual mass flywheel and dynamic engine mounts, I figure I've dropped at least 60 pounds off the back of the car! :-)
Old 09-25-2014, 11:58 PM
rs4_saloon
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRSA
I just had the side delete installed and as some have pointed out, it is pretty loud - good, but much louder than I expected. I'm thinking that on track and with a helmet on it I'll be fine for me, but hope it isn't too obnoxious for others. I know I don't like it when cars are so loud it pierces my ears or makes it so I can't hear my own car.

Between losing the side mufflers, the dual mass flywheel and dynamic engine mounts, I figure I've dropped at least 60 pounds off the back of the car! :-)
Mods, mods, mods.

See you on track.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:28 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 714 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRSA

Interested in your impression of the lwfw mod. Noticeable difference? It was on my 996 gt3. Did you go with the 4.0 parts?
Old 09-27-2014, 11:47 PM
RedRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At Watkins Glen Mon/Tues, will let you know how it goes! :-)

Quick Reply: New Convert: loving my new side muffler bypass pipes (long review)