Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Long over due thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 12:08 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Long over due thread

This thread is long over due. I have not had a chance to do videos as my car has been down since June 2nd that said, here it goes.

As some of you know me from my prior 996T, i had a unique x pipe design on my turbo that made it sound very GT3 like. I have received many compliments world wide, some from German race teams and US race team (like Orbit Racing) saying it is the best 996 gt2/turbo exhaust they had heard.

I wanted to bring some uniqueness into the GT3 market so i tried to bring same principals from the Turbo to the GT3. This exhaust sounds pretty damn sweet. Some NorCal de cup guys have heard it. What i love about this exhaust is under 4.5 rpm it sounds stock. After that.

Videos of course to follow. A bit on how i made the exhaust.

Design:

Buy some SS pipe, what it looks like from factory:

Hand Brush.

Passivate treatment:

Getting there:

Finishing up:

Complete :

Old 07-31-2014, 01:26 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 322 Posts

What does it weigh mister?
Old 07-31-2014, 05:43 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it would be nice to see a solution like the Cup/RSR design which has two large indiviual round/oval silencers so we can run without side mufflers!
Old 07-31-2014, 05:45 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

like these...
Attached Images   
Old 07-31-2014, 06:07 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
. I have received many compliments world wide, some from German race teams and US race team (like Orbit Racing) saying it is the best 996 gt2/turbo exhaust they had heard.
Why would a serious race team give the slightest thought to how your exhaust sounds ? If you could show them a credible engine dyno sheet proving a 10hp increase then they may be interested but the sound - come on !
Old 07-31-2014, 11:56 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 113 Posts

Looks nice well done
Old 07-31-2014, 12:21 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

You've got my attention, subscribed.

Is this for central muffler bypass or side muffler bypass? Since it only has one pipe per side I'm guessing it's for side muffler bypass
Old 07-31-2014, 12:57 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
What does it weigh mister?
I'll weight it this weekend and report back with videos as well

Originally Posted by Ur20v
it would be nice to see a solution like the Cup/RSR design which has two large indiviual round/oval silencers so we can run without side mufflers!
We have plans on doing this. Using 2.75" piping. Quit a bit more expensive due the OD of piping but we have experience some nice gains for N/A motors using 2.75"

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Why would a serious race team give the slightest thought to how your exhaust sounds ? If you could show them a credible engine dyno sheet proving a 10hp increase then they may be interested but the sound - come on !
TB993tt, our 996 gt2/tt exhaust shows significant gains in hp + tq. We can discuss in a different thread that exhaust . The exhaust is normally intended for their track enthusiast customers.

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Looks nice well done
Thank you Matt.

Originally Posted by sin911
You've got my attention, subscribed.

Is this for central muffler bypass or side muffler bypass? Since it only has one pipe per side I'm guessing it's for side muffler bypass

It's central muffler bypass. This picture was taken before adding the other small inlet. We do plan to make this X pipe configuration with 12" muffler can's like ur20v posted that bypass side mufflers. Working on that.

Our hope is with the X pipe and 2.75" piping we get a nice bump in tq/ hp like we have experienced in the RS4's(15 awhp/30-40 awtq),some great sound and very minimal drone.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:24 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ur20v
like these...
Ur20v, who makes that exhaust system in the second photo you posted ? Looks great. I'd appreciate any info.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:47 PM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by paver
Ur20v, who makes that exhaust system in the second photo you posted ? Looks great. I'd appreciate any info.
That headers / exhaust system was made by Precision Chassis Works.
precisionchassis@gmail.com
(480) 507-1865

Believe they're in Arizona. That system was a "one-off" for a customer.
I spoke to them over a year ago. They seemed to have little interest in making another.
Those are Burns mufflers on either side.
Personally I'd get M&M headers and have the rest made by a good local shop.

Ranger
Old 07-31-2014, 10:23 PM
limitedslip
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 68 Posts

This looks promising! Great work OP!
Old 07-31-2014, 10:25 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRanger
That headers / exhaust system was made by Precision Chassis Works.
precisionchassis@gmail.com
(480) 507-1865

Believe they're in Arizona. That system was a "one-off" for a customer.
I spoke to them over a year ago. They seemed to have little interest in making another.
Those are Burns mufflers on either side.
Personally I'd get M&M headers and have the rest made by a good local shop.

Ranger
Ranger, thanks for the info.
I had a custom system very very similar to that in the works with Charles Dundon. The project fell through though due to inability to get tubing in small qty's these days. It was gonna be the ultimate imo. Not getting it has left me searching for an equivalent. Nothing suits me so far.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:53 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't lose hope, Dundon and RK have partnered to bring back the Dundon headers and exhaust, with an RSR style muffler, not exactly like what UR20V posted but similar in function. Proven gains with the header/muffler combo.

For those who want to keep side mufflers, OP has a great solution, fabrication looks great as well...
Old 07-31-2014, 10:53 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Paver, if you want one like the picture from above, that works with OEM cat's let me know and i can assist him getting the correct tubing (to make some power ) / mufflers / bracket etc. Basically hardware i plan to use but he can welded up for you.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:55 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jamie_GT3
Don't lose hope, Dundon and RK have partnered to bring back the Dundon headers and exhaust, with an RSR style muffler, not exactly like what UR20V posted but similar in function. Proven gains with the header/muffler combo.

For those who want to keep side mufflers, OP has a great solution, fabrication looks great as well...
Thank you Jamie. We are hoping to get some more tq with the X pipe config + a more refine sound. I believe we have achieved the more refine sound. Waiting on dyno graphs to see if gain of TQ with the X merge. Cool thing is 0 drone

Quick Reply: Long over due thread