Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Replacing stone guards w/o damaging decals on RS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 01:39 AM
ard
Pro

Received 203 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Replacing stone guards w/o damaging decals on RS?

Searched but didn't find any pertinent threads, so here goes: PO had clear stone guards installed over the decals on an 08 GT3RS, and the stone guards are now yellowing.

What are recommended removal methods for the stone guards without damaging the decals? On other cars I have treated the SGs with a heat gun and successfully removed them but I am reluctant to try the same method on a car which has the SGs installed partially overlapping the decals.

TIA

/alex
Old 07-30-2014, 02:51 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

I just removed a stone guard from my car. I left the side of the car with SG I wanted to remove in the sun. After a couple of hours it peeled off fairly easily. You might try pulling the SG across the decal with the tape folded on itself as you remove it. I'd think that would result in the least lifting of the decal below.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:35 PM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 64 Posts

The decals on the .1 are pretty tough and I was able to replace my stone guard without damaging the decals underneath. Granted, my stone guard was a thicker clear bra product but you should have similar luck. A heat gun and working in sections works best and leaves little to no residue behind. Even if you pull up some of the decal they are replaceable.

Quick Reply: Replacing stone guards w/o damaging decals on RS?