Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OEM LCA/Tarret vs RSS units

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 10:54 AM
woodyTPA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM LCA/Tarret vs RSS units

I am posting this here for GT3 owner opinions. What is preferrable, OEM GT3 LCA with tarret monoball additions or RSS units considering the RSS units have shim kit included? OEM unit is understandabley more ride complient without monoball ends. This is a DD 07 C2S and will be used for 10-12 track days per year.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:29 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

To add to your list you might want to look at the offerings from Elephant Racing.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:47 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,038 Likes on 2,301 Posts

You can also get grand am cup car LCAs as well. I had the RSS ones and liked them but moved up the cup car LCAs.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:07 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the Elephant Racing LCA with the monoball ends. When I priced it out, it was less expensive than Tarett but it's very high quality stuff. The Elephant Racing arms allow continuously variable camber adjustment without shims. I didn't notice much difference in ride compliance with the monoballs, but most of the rubber bits in my suspension have already been replaced with solid bushings or monoballs.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:33 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i would say if you had the 2pc RS arms then the best solution is adding the tarett monoball ends

http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-...996-detail.htm

but if you have the 1pc gt3 lower control arms then avoid the labour to press fit mono ***** into street arms (keep them intact for later / resale) and purchase the RSS or other arms that come with the shims
Old 07-23-2014, 10:10 PM
woodyTPA
Instructor

Sorry should have explained I was considering purchasing new OEM GT# from Tarret with Tarret monoballs vs RSS. I have a C2S with stock LCA's now. Decided to go with OEM/Tarret set up from a Rennlister in Greece for the same price as RSS. Going to try the stock new OEM LCA's without pressing monoball/ Tarret end piece initially? Or use OEM arm with Tarret end piece (sorry dont know proper terminology for that part)? Easy to swap the end piece but have to disassemble again to press in the adjustable center piece into the arm. Ignorant of the difference! Newbie to Porsche suspension geometry!
Old 07-24-2014, 09:39 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by woodyTPA
Going to try the stock new OEM LCA's without pressing monoball/ Tarret end piece initially? Or use OEM arm with Tarret end piece (sorry dont know proper terminology for that part)? Easy to swap the end piece but have to disassemble again to press in the adjustable center piece into the arm. Ignorant of the difference! Newbie to Porsche suspension geometry!

If you are going to do this to it all at the beginning and avoid all the unnecessary labor and get better performance / feel.

The two 'solid' pieces your are speaking about are:
- the end part is the Monoball Bushing End
- the solid circle piece is the Solid Thrust Arm Bushing

Replacing both rubber OE parts changes the feeling of the rear end during cornering and gives a more predictable solid feel to the car which helps increase your confidence = faster. Add solid upper control arms and 'firmer' semi-solid engine mounts and the feel of the car changes entirely - you no longer get that mid corner 'wobble' that 2000#s over the rear axle moving back and forth suspended by rubber creates.

It is a slipper slope so you really have to decide why you are doing this and do you want to live with the non OE setup you know have. Are you doing this to a C2? If so why? On the rear end for control or the front end for additional camber?

http://www.tarett.com/images/lca%20kit/lca%20l.jpg
Old 07-24-2014, 03:49 PM
woodyTPA
Instructor

Once again I was incomplete in my explanation! Front end to gain more camber and try to eliminate some of the understeer and scrubbing around corners. I am on my 12th track day with PCA and Chin, and recommended to solo in next few sessions. Yes it is a C2S, with 47K miles on it. I did not want to lower the car with coilovers yet, but wanted less roll and improved cornering in the front initially. A number of RL's with C2 have mentioned front LCA's and GT3 swaybars initially to improve the handling, without significant costs for parts and labor. I do not like the rear end wobblyness and shifting of the engine under G load either. I realize though that changing one thing will directly affect others and suspension changes can turn out horribly. I have a competent shop nearby that I have began discussions with, along with a number of people at Sebring through clubs that have been through suspension upgrades. I do not want to rush into the wrong upgrades, been there before with VW's 20 yrs ago!
Old 07-24-2014, 03:56 PM
woodyTPA
Instructor

In particular, going into turn 10 and 13 at Sebring tend to feel light in the rear end and a little squirrly with at times alot of front understeer and scrub. On stock Mich PSS2's and Sebro slotted rotors with PFC08 pads and as much camber as possible on stock suspension. I realize tires are part of it, but the car does not feel completely settled progressively as I begin to improve smoothness and therefore pick up more speed and confidence in ability/car. Need more coaching as well for sure. Certainly it is novice driving habits as well.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:00 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
i would say if you had the 2pc RS arms then the best solution is adding the tarett monoball ends

http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-...996-detail.htm

but if you have the 1pc gt3 lower control arms then avoid the labour to press fit mono ***** into street arms (keep them intact for later / resale) and purchase the RSS or other arms that come with the shims
+1. Installing inner monoballs on stock 2pc arms is the best performance bang for buck, if you have them.

Solid thrust arm bushings, while beneficial, aren't as big of a change as when you put monoballs on the lower control arms.

Quick Reply: OEM LCA/Tarret vs RSS units