Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Advice: Replacing my PCCB pads-Do I need new dampeners?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 01:49 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Advice: Replacing my PCCB pads-Do I need new dampeners?

Car is 100% street driven.

Are the dampeners stuck on to the brake pads with an adhesive? Can they be reused?

This is what I'm going to be ordering unless you tell guys tell me something is redundant or I missed something.

1.Front brake pads (OEM)
2.Rear brake pads (OEM)
3.Front caliper repair kit (replacement springs, retaining pins, and spring cotter pins)
4.Rear caliper repair kit (replacement springs, retaining pins, and spring cotter pins)
5.Rear caliper bolts (4 total)
6.Front brake pad dampening set (should have 12 in the kit)
7.Rear brake pad dampening set (should have 8 in the kit)

TIA
Old 07-22-2014, 04:36 PM
John Chan
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am on my 3rd set of pad and I have never refreshed any OE parts. Not sure why u need to refresh so many parts if there is no damage?
I have been tracking hard but I am not a heavy brake person.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:15 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,620 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny DB

Are the dampeners stuck on to the brake pads with an adhesive? Can they be reused?
I do not believe so... and yes, but I think they are relatively cheap to replace...

This is what I'm going to be ordering unless you tell guys tell me something is redundant or I missed something.

1.Front brake pads (OEM)
2.Rear brake pads (OEM)
3.Front caliper repair kit (replacement springs, retaining pins, and spring cotter pins)
4.Rear caliper repair kit (replacement springs, retaining pins, and spring cotter pins)
5.Rear caliper bolts (4 total)
6.Front brake pad dampening set (should have 12 in the kit)
7.Rear brake pad dampening set (should have 8 in the kit)

TIA
I think only the caliper bolt replacements are required... you can also get the motorsport stud kit (contact craig at rennstore)
Old 07-23-2014, 04:53 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John Chan
I am on my 3rd set of pad and I have never refreshed any OE parts. Not sure why u need to refresh so many parts if there is no damage?
I have been tracking hard but I am not a heavy brake person.
Just figured new components would guarantee me everything running at 100% and as mentioned wasn't sure if the dampeners could be reused.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:56 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I do not believe so... and yes, but I think they are relatively cheap to replace...

I think only the caliper bolt replacements are required... you can also get the motorsport stud kit (contact craig at rennstore)
So I guessing by "they are relatively cheap to replace" you are suggestion to do so?

I will only order the caliper bolts for the rear since the front pads can be changed without removing the caliper.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

caliper bolts are not reusable according to factory procedures, there are multiple threads on this topic elsewhere in the forum.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

So I guessing by "they are relatively cheap to replace" you are suggestion to do so?

I will only order the caliper bolts for the rear since the front pads can be changed without removing the caliper.
have you ever driven a 911 with really squeaky brakes?

imagine the looks from other drivers as you pull up next to them at the lights or stopsign ... and they look over expecting to see an 18 wheeler or a bus and instead they see you in your 911

you have been warned!
Old 07-23-2014, 05:01 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

One of the reasons why I'm changing the pads is that I'm at about 6-7mm of pad thickness which is about 50%. Many have recommended changing the pads at 50% to ensure rotor life. They are also worn at an angle. The other reason is that they are very noisy and I can only get them quiet after I rinse them with the garden hose but that only works for about 30miles. I did 3 hard brakes from about 120mph and that didn't help.

How would you go about removing the glaze (assuming there is) on the rotors?

Thanks
Old 07-23-2014, 05:08 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

One of the reasons why I'm changing the pads is that I'm at about 6-7mm of pad thickness which is about 50%. Many have recommended changing the pads at 50% to ensure rotor life. They are also worn at an angle. The other reason is that they are very noisy and I can only get them quiet after I rinse them with the garden hose but that only works for about 30miles. I did 3 hard brakes from about 120mph and that didn't help.

How would you go about removing the glaze (assuming there is) on the rotors?

Thanks
checkout these links:

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths

and...

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...and-procedures

not too mention...

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...eposit-removal

hope these help!
Old 07-23-2014, 05:21 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the links. Lots of useful information but not really sure if all of it applies to CCBs as well?
Old 07-23-2014, 07:15 PM
John Chan
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using the pads down to 20% front and rear. No issue. I never run pad sensor in order to run down the pads that low.
Ppl change it at 50% as a safe guard in case of the owner never watch out the taper pad issue. For the front pad, I rotate it after 5track days and the taper issue is not too bad. For the rear, no taper, just higher wear that the front pad.
I have never change caliper bolts and not sure why I cannot reuse it. With 50ftlb, I do not think I am stretching the bolt. I want someone to answer this too.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I have been using the pads down to 20% front and rear. No issue. I never run pad sensor in order to run down the pads that low.
Ppl change it at 50% as a safe guard in case of the owner never watch out the taper pad issue. For the front pad, I rotate it after 5track days and the taper issue is not too bad. For the rear, no taper, just higher wear that the front pad.
I have never change caliper bolts and not sure why I cannot reuse it. With 50ftlb, I do not think I am stretching the bolt. I want someone to answer this too.
forum search is your friend.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:30 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the links. Lots of useful information but not really sure if all of it applies to CCBs as well?
certainly not those recommendations for using highly abrasive pads to remove glaze!

brake bedding etc I think are applicable.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:06 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

John,

Isn't the torque 63ftlb?

Are you using the stock pads? How noisy are they? How are your rotors holding up?
Old 07-24-2014, 02:20 PM
edwin814
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TIA
Are you talking about the back plate with adhesive? If so, they come with the new OEM pads.

Either replace the caliper bolts or get the motorsport studs. I never replaced the caliper bolts on my brembo caliper on my M3, but I tracked more often and would swap between track and street pads and retorque the bolts very often, so didn't really worry about the bolt getting loose. But I ran same set of pads on RS (OEM on PCCB, then PFC08 on steel rotors) for track and street. Plus CL is a hassle. So I got the studs, knowing I'll rarely remove the wheels to check the bolts.

It's a personal preference, but I also replaced the pad sensors because they were old and brittle. Or just remove them completely.

Quick Reply: Advice: Replacing my PCCB pads-Do I need new dampeners?