Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RS 4.0 Clutch/Flywheel - Worthwhile upgrade for GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 12:21 PM
RedRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the single mass LWFW installed in my RSA, and the result was positive - increased idle vibration and noise acknowledged but no issue on track. While the track benefits would also apply to the GT3, I am hesitant to make the swap at this time. Of the owners I know, the RS's have been more failure prone, and the biggest difference between the RS and GT3 is the solid flywheel.

Harmonic balancing issue as the root cause? Who knows, but sounds plausible. Some recommend using a smaller diameter pulley to reduce parasitic losses and reduce wear on the auxiliary systems, but apparently the custom ATI harmonic balancing unit being designed for the GT3 is actually a larger diameter so it would seem to create other drawbacks. Perhaps they will be able to make it the same size.

There was one particular issue with my RSA LWFW that I have not seen discussed: the tendency for the engine to stall when abruptly letting off the throttle. The fix was to have a custom chip made that modified the fuel delivery tables and increased the idle speed. Has this been an issue for those that have changed their GT3's to the LWFW?

The 4.0 clutch system uses all different part numbers compared to stock. Is the 4.0 pressure plate dimensionally the same as the stock pressure plate? If it fits, the more robust design would seem to make it desirable, even with the stock clutch and flywheel.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by onefstm
Thanks for all the input guys. After reading the different posts, I may wait until I actually need a clutch before doing the mod.
do it, and install a better LSD (guard or cup rebuild) at the same time.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:55 PM
onefstm
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
do it, and install a better LSD (guard or cup rebuild) at the same time.
Great advice on the diff. I did a Guards a few months back and absolutely love the difference on the track.

For now, I am going to stick with the stock clutch and instead spend the money on TPC's upcoming spring, toe arm, and upper strut mount package. I feel like this will actually translate into faster track times.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onefstm
Great advice on the diff. I did a Guards a few months back and absolutely love the difference on the track.

For now, I am going to stick with the stock clutch and instead spend the money on TPC's upcoming spring, toe arm, and upper strut mount package. I feel like this will actually translate into faster track times.
I had Alex install the RSS kit on my GT3 really transforms the cornering - so I would recommend that - but if you have the clutch out, its a good time to do the LSD and the LWFW ... reduces overall upgrade cost since you do it 'all at once'
Old 07-11-2014, 12:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RedRSA
I had the single mass LWFW installed in my RSA, and the result was positive - increased idle vibration and noise acknowledged but no issue on track. While the track benefits would also apply to the GT3, I am hesitant to make the swap at this time. Of the owners I know, the RS's have been more failure prone, and the biggest difference between the RS and GT3 is the solid flywheel.

Harmonic balancing issue as the root cause? Who knows, but sounds plausible. Some recommend using a smaller diameter pulley to reduce parasitic losses and reduce wear on the auxiliary systems, but apparently the custom ATI harmonic balancing unit being designed for the GT3 is actually a larger diameter so it would seem to create other drawbacks. Perhaps they will be able to make it the same size.

There was one particular issue with my RSA LWFW that I have not seen discussed: the tendency for the engine to stall when abruptly letting off the throttle. The fix was to have a custom chip made that modified the fuel delivery tables and increased the idle speed. Has this been an issue for those that have changed their GT3's to the LWFW?

The 4.0 clutch system uses all different part numbers compared to stock. Is the 4.0 pressure plate dimensionally the same as the stock pressure plate? If it fits, the more robust design would seem to make it desirable, even with the stock clutch and flywheel.
I had the same experience on my RSA ... overall it was worth it.

Quick Reply: RS 4.0 Clutch/Flywheel - Worthwhile upgrade for GT3?