Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

What are the basics to upgrading brakes on 997.1tt?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 11:39 PM
drvik
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the basics to upgrading brakes on 997.1tt?

Hi all,

I've been running my 997.1tt as a DD for the last few years, with 4 or so track days each year.

I am urgently due to replace the rotors and pads and thought it was a good opportunity to do an upgrade. My brief reading reveals that there's lot's of 'gotchas' when moving away from OEM.

Are there upgrade solutions that will maintain OEM reliability, that don't add any road noise, and that keep the wear sensors and the brake intact, yet still offer a performance advantage??

I would prefer to use genuine Porsche parts unless aftermarket ones offer a significant advantage.

I am currently running stock rotors, Pagid Yellows and stock turbo rims. My local dealer has quoted in the vicinity of AUD$4500-5000 to replace my current setup. Yes, I know, it's ludicrous, hence the option to go AM. Worst case scenario I go back to stock rotors and try out the PFC pads. If I go down this path do I need to replace any other parts in the process?

Cheers!
Old 06-28-2014, 12:13 AM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

I would stick with stock rotors, use a good racing brake fluid like Castrol SRF, Endless, PF RH665, or Motul 600. Add the GT3 Cup brake cooling scoops. Then try the Performance Friction 08 Compound pads. You will like them.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:24 AM
drvik
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!

What about upgrading to GT2/3 components? Does that start to play havoc with bias and ABS?

I'm considering doing the GT3 master cylinder upgrade for a firmer feel.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:37 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by drvik
Thanks!

What about upgrading to GT2/3 components? Does that start to play havoc with bias and ABS?

I'm considering doing the GT3 master cylinder upgrade for a firmer feel.

Your car comes with a GT3 master cylinder. Same part. I run 997GT3 PCCB 380/350 brakes on my 996. I use steel rotors with PFC 08/08 pads. Works great. Brake bias is shifted slightly to the rear. No issues
Old 06-29-2014, 03:43 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

For a car that is mostly for the street, with only occasional track use, I would stick with stock brake components and just upgrade the brake fluid to a higher temperature fluid. The downside to race pads is that they need the kind of heat you generate on the track to work well and many of them are noisy on the street.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:37 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by drvik
Hi all,

I've been running my 997.1tt as a DD for the last few years, with 4 or so track days each year.

I am urgently due to replace the rotors and pads and thought it was a good opportunity to do an upgrade. My brief reading reveals that there's lot's of 'gotchas' when moving away from OEM.

Are there upgrade solutions that will maintain OEM reliability, that don't add any road noise, and that keep the wear sensors and the brake intact, yet still offer a performance advantage??

I would prefer to use genuine Porsche parts unless aftermarket ones offer a significant advantage.

I am currently running stock rotors, Pagid Yellows and stock turbo rims. My local dealer has quoted in the vicinity of AUD$4500-5000 to replace my current setup. Yes, I know, it's ludicrous, hence the option to go AM. Worst case scenario I go back to stock rotors and try out the PFC pads. If I go down this path do I need to replace any other parts in the process?

Cheers!
RacingBrake offers direct bolt on front and rear light weight two piece rotors for 997TT's. Our rotors are compatible for both street and track use and can be used with your current brake pads. Although, we do recommend going with our brake pads for the perfect combination. With our ET500 street brake pads, you will have great bite with no squealing!

Weight

Front Two Piece Rotors
OE One-piece 28 lbs. ea
RB Two-piece 22 lbs. ea

Rear Two Piece Rotors
One-piece 22.5 lbs. ea
Two-piece 20 lbs. ea

Shaving a complete total of 17lbs of unsprung weight and improving your handling.

We also offer the option to purchase replacement rings for our two piece rotors, saving you a fraction of the cost when its time for a rotor replacement.

Click here to learn more about us and our
Patented Two Piece Rotors

Quick Reply: What are the basics to upgrading brakes on 997.1tt?