Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Can a 3.6 survive level 5 revs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 02:41 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

This may not be obvious, but you cannot do rod bearings on this engine without tearing it completely apart. You're doing a full engine rebuild by default.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:48 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

You can change the rod bearings without taking the case apart
Old 06-11-2014, 04:18 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sharkster
I'm sorry, I don't know what you're talking about. I built my 4 liter with my own two hands.

You're telling me you can get to these rods, replace the bearings, reinstall the bolts, and measure stretch with a caliper, while it's in THIS case?

Old 06-11-2014, 04:24 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 880 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
I'm sorry, I don't know what you're talking about. I built my 4 liter with my own two hands.

You're telling me you can get to these rods, replace the bearings, reinstall the bolts, and measure stretch with a caliper, while it's in THIS case?

This should be an interesting discussion, hopefully it will be informative and not invective.
both posters have knowledge regarding this process.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:30 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,060 Likes on 546 Posts

With a set of Pauter rods it appears that you could get them out. Based on the set I put in my RSA there was no stretch measurement as the bolts were threaded into the rods. For a rod with bolts and nuts that measurement might not happen.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:11 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We're talking about replacing these with new factory bolts torqued to factory specs? No you cannot get a micrometer in there to measure the bolt stretch of the used/originals. We never re use bolts like maybe you were doing? We always use new rod bolts. This has been done for years on 964 case engines by many engine builders. Nevertheless it's ok I think I understand that somewhere down the line we have obviously peed in your coffee cup or something so you are not keen on us and that's ok well move on. I was just trying to help and I'm not saying what he should and shouldn't do... Just saying he doesn't have to if he's changing to new bolts.

Sorry if this isn't useful....
Old 06-11-2014, 07:17 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

We're talking about replacing these with new factory bolts torqued to factory specs? No you cannot get a micrometer in there to measure the bolt stretch of the used/originals. We never re use bolts like maybe you were doing? We always use new rod bolts. This has been done for years on 964 case engines by many engine builders. Nevertheless it's ok I think I understand that somewhere down the line we have obviously peed in your coffee cup or something so you are not keen on us and that's ok well move on. I was just trying to help and I'm not saying what he should and shouldn't do... Just saying he doesn't have to if he's changing to new bolts.

Sorry if this isn't useful....
Alex, if you are truly curious, and not just trying to attack me, I installed ARP rod bolts when I built my engine.

Also, bolt stretch is the prefered method of measuring tension for rod fasteners. The problem with torque is that it relies on the tension/torque relationship, which is highly influenced by the lubricant, cleanliness, and quality of the threads. Torque doesn't matter - what matters is the tension that is achieved by the application of torque. http://arpinstructions.com/instructions/204-6004.pdf

In any case, I haven't attacked your shop or shortcomings of your products, so lets just keep it professional.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:26 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Alex, if you are truly curious, and not just trying to attack me, I installed ARP rod bolts when I built my engine.

Also, bolt stretch is the prefered method of measuring tension for rod fasteners. The problem with torque is that it relies on the tension/torque relationship, which is highly influenced by the lubricant, cleanliness, and quality of the threads. Torque doesn't matter - what matters is the tension that is achieved by the application of torque. http://arpinstructions.com/instructions/204-6004.pdf

In any case, I haven't attacked your shop or shortcomings of your products, so lets just keep it professional.
Not attacking you at all and that explains why you opened your case. I figured you were either checking replacing as needed instead of all or indeed using non-factory parts (ARP's with their instructions). I was simply sharing what can be done. It's up to his engine builder obviously. I think you misunderstood the factory ones are not done by torque... it's by torque angle.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:10 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Jacy
I did the same to my car. Porsche dealer (was in Dallas on track day) re- installed the pulley and belt, checked the engine. $900
This was Nov 18 months ago. Zero issue since :-))

Quick Reply: Can a 3.6 survive level 5 revs?