Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Thinking about purchasing a 997.2 GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 05:01 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

report can be tampered with to make it look good.
dynos are sometimes tampered with too.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:01 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by The Mick
Originally Posted by Izzone
be careful just looking at over rev they can be altered or never recorded
Can you elaborate on altered and never recorded?
Ecu is just a computer that records data

1) a computer can be reprogrammed

2) a computer can be removed from the car during track events and replaced with a spare computer

Both of these things are probably illegal and for sure unethical..and happen

For the record my car has an unaltered ecu...well over 100 on track hours...range 1-4 overevs

Never denied a warranty claim, still pulls the same 436 whp on a dyno as it did when I got it

Most track incidents are not covered my auto insurance....so carfax will be clean. Paint meter car, remove fender lining...if you are real worried about track usage

When you buy a car, buy it from the seller......dealers will hide all sorts of crap to make a car marketable

Last edited by Izzone; 06-03-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:02 PM
The Mick
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

Ecu is just a computer that records data 1) a computer can be reprogrammed 2) a computer can be removed from the car during track events and replaced with a spare computer Both of these things are probably illegal and for sure unethical..and happen For the record my car has an unaltered ecu...well over 100 on track hours...range 1-4 overevs Never denied a warranty claim, still pulls the same 436 whp on a dyno as it did when I got it Most track incidents are not covered my auto insurance....so carfax will be clean. Paint meter car, remove fender lining...if you are real worried about track usage When you buy a car, buy it from the seller......dealers will hide all sorts of crap to make a car marketable
Thanks for the clarification... Makes perfect sense, sad to think this kind of thing actually happens.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:07 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Ecu is just a computer that records data

1) a computer can be reprogrammed

2) a computer can be removed from the car during track events and replaced with a spare computer

Both of these things are probably illegal and for sure unethical..and happen

For the record my car has an unaltered ecu...well over 100 on track hours...range 1-4 overevs

Never denied a warranty claim, still pulls the same 436 whp on a dyno as it did when I got it

Most track incidents are not covered my auto insurance....so carfax will be clean. Paint meter car, remove fender lining...if you are real worried about track usage

When you buy a car, buy it from the seller......dealers will hide all sorts of crap to make a car marketable
right on.
then when my real ECU car goes on sale, i hear "oh you got a chip here. and you have a range 3..." whatever....
Old 06-05-2014, 09:55 AM
steve0827
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 79 Posts

What is everyone's thoughts on getting a 997.2 GT3 instead and using the extra money saved into suspension and aero.
Only reason I say that is because I'm having a tough time locating any cars for sale on the east coasts, and I'd prefer not to have to fly out to check out a car.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:42 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by steve0827
What is everyone's thoughts on getting a 997.2 GT3 instead and using the extra money saved into suspension and aero.
Only reason I say that is because I'm having a tough time locating any cars for sale on the east coasts, and I'd prefer not to have to fly out to check out a car.
Buy what you can afford now. If you're looking for an RS, get one. I thought I would be happy with a GT3 and some cash too. I wasn't.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:37 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,005 Likes on 2,283 Posts

I have 2 words for you....don't settle! There aren't many 997 GT3s for sale out there period, whether they be non-RSs or RSs. You might have to fly out for the right car.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:08 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

If the delta between the two cars is around $30k you could sink half of thst into the suspension and aero. If you were happy with the results you obviously would have saved. If you change your mind in a year and go for the RS you'll be selling a modded GT3 to get an RS. Price wise that might not work out to your advantage.

I wanted a GT3 a few years ago and let myself get talked out of it. I picked up a 997.2S and put a new suspension in along with the factory aero kit. Wasn't satisfied and traded to a GTS and did some mods on it. Sold the GTS and now have my 10 GT3. Trust me it would have been far cheaper to have gone with the GT3 in the beginning. I could even be sitting in an RS for less at this point. Fortunately I'm quite happy with my GT3,
Old 06-06-2014, 04:49 AM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I have 2 words for you....don't settle! There aren't many 997 GT3s for sale out there period, whether they be non-RSs or RSs. You might have to fly out for the right car.
I agree do not settle. Be patient and good things will come along. But make sure to be fast. Be ready to put a deposit down at a moments notice. Most deposits are fully refundable at dealers.. Good luck!
Old 06-06-2014, 04:41 PM
steve0827
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 79 Posts

I know I'd want more if I "just" got a GT3. Please don't take the this wrong way if any of you are GT3 owners, I'm just weird

I'll stay on my look out for the right RS for me....I've been talking to a few people though and hopefully something will come out of it. I've been dreaming about the RS since the day it came out!
Old 06-07-2014, 04:32 PM
azcarguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

........... I've been dreaming about the RS since the day it came out!
That kinda says it all right there.

Quick Reply: Thinking about purchasing a 997.2 GT3RS