Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Thinking about purchasing a 997.2 GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 08:01 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by steve0827
I've heard, however, that tracked cars will not feel the same....they almost seem "looser". Can anyone verify this? or....
To be honest, unless it's a trackwhore that's seen untold miles on the track, I don't think you would notice anything. From my experience, DE types are lucky to see the track once a month. Most of these " tracked" cars have hardly seen much action.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:21 PM
azcarguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ranger22
To be honest, unless it's a trackwhore that's seen untold miles on the track, I don't think you would notice anything. From my experience, DE types are lucky to see the track once a month. Most of these " tracked" cars have hardly seen much action.
Good point, also possible to find a cars that have full monoball set-ups with stock components in perfect shape so you can bring it back to factory spec and be just as "tight" as it was out of the showroom. And the occasional DE isn't something worth worrying about. My .1 was a DE car and I couldn't tell from a factory new car with the same mileage.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:12 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,783 Likes on 2,371 Posts

I've heard, however, that tracked cars will not feel the same....they almost seem "looser". Can anyone verify this? or....
depends on what I define as tracked car.
I isually have two of the same cars, one in garage one tracked. usually the tracked car feels tighter and faster.

now of it's tracked every day, yes it will worn out. but I tracked 30-35 days a yr. for most ppl that's a lot of track,days. most tracked cars see 10 days a yr . I wouldn't worry too much. if u want a garage queen, sure. but they usually cost a bit more.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:39 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,072 Likes on 2,327 Posts

That's why some owners who decide to track their cars spend the extra money to have the cars taken care of and checked out by a reputable shop on a very regular basis. I have the fluids on my car changed every 5-6 track days because I'm rather be safe than sorry. My car does not see the track every weekend....I'll probably do 15-20 track days a year (I skip the summers because I can't handle it not the car) and will put more street miles on the car driving it on the weekends. Also, there's a big difference between DE track events versus open wheel racing track events so not all track time is created equal. Give me a well maintained car that's been tracked over a creme puff garage queen who's been sitting around and collecting dust with the fluids sitting around any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:42 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,072 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by azcarguy
Good point, also possible to find a cars that have full monoball set-ups with stock components in perfect shape so you can bring it back to factory spec and be just as "tight" as it was out of the showroom. And the occasional DE isn't something worth worrying about. My .1 was a DE car and I couldn't tell from a factory new car with the same mileage.
+1 bingo....all my stock suspension, exhaust, PCCBs, CLs, etc are sitting comfortably in my garage and can be put back on at any time.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:53 PM
azcarguy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
That's why some owners who decide to track their cars spend the extra money to have the cars taken care of and checked out by a reputable shop on a very regular basis. I have the fluids on my car changed every 5-6 track days because I'm rather be safe than sorry. My car does not see the track every weekend....I'll probably do 15-20 track days a year (I skip the summers because I can't handle it not the car) and will put more street miles on the car driving it on the weekends. Also, there's a big difference between DE track events versus open wheel racing track events so not all track time is created equal. Give me a well maintained car that's been tracked over a creme puff garage queen who's been sitting around and collecting dust with the fluids sitting around any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
I've found that most track folks maintain their cars more like race teams vs. the non-track owner that has a car sitting in a garage for endless months with the same fluids, filters and not being driven (and yes, I realize all of you are not like that )

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
+1 bingo....all my stock suspension, exhaust, PCCBs, CLs, etc are sitting comfortably in my garage and can be put back on at any time.
See, buy a car from ^ guy!
Old 06-02-2014, 01:38 PM
steve0827
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

What do the regular service costs seems to be. I was looking at the parts costs on the maintenance kits offered by Suncoast Porsche, and I thought they were pretty low.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:46 PM
azcarguy
Rennlist Member

With my .1 RS it was fluids only and a door latch replacement to correct the window not dropping upon opening the door but this was under warranty. I never even had a RMS problem, but then that's probably because I actually drove the car.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:43 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

My DE car (997.2 GT3 RS) that is for sale is taken care of much better than my DD. I personally don't think a tracked car is worse than one that only sees garage when it comes to GT3s. Just my opinion though.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:50 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 480 Posts

I actually think tracked cars that are cared for are better than non-tracked cars just in a garage...things are checked over more often and the motors are actually broken in and generally stouter...as long as no stage 2 over-revs. Im looking for one right now too...
Old 06-02-2014, 10:13 PM
Rolltide86
Rennlist Member

A tracked car - particularly a DE car - do tend to get more attention and maintenance than non-tracked cars. My car does 5-6 DE weekends a year - gets inspected after each one (and extensively detailed by me - clear bra on the front prevents any possibility of chipping). My local dealer knows my car well and inspects it before every outing. I take my car to numerous car gatherings and everyone says it is immaculate.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:23 PM
///BLACKLABEL
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

My car is still available - 2010 with 11k miles

Track ready / Street driven
Attached Images    
Old 06-02-2014, 10:33 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

be careful just looking at over rev

they can be altered or never recorded
Old 06-03-2014, 01:09 AM
The Mick
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
be careful just looking at over rev they can be altered or never recorded
Can you elaborate on altered and never recorded?
Old 06-03-2014, 02:08 AM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 59 Posts

What ^^ he said..

Quick Reply: Thinking about purchasing a 997.2 GT3RS