Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Dealer call today - Cayman GTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 10:25 PM
indianam3
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Dealer call today - Cayman GTS

I received a call from the dealer today saying that since my GT3 RS allocation is going to a 918 buyer, they would offer me this. They said the Cayman GTS was going to be a limited edition (500 examples) and they were told today they were getting 2 cars only. 250 will be produced in July and 250 will be produced in September. Here is my question, I am pretty solid on options, with one exception. The sport suspension is a zero cost option, so I can go either way at the same price. This is a DD that my spouse will drive ocasionally. It is not to be tracked, so my current judgement is that the standard suspension is the right choice. If anyone has experience or knowledge that would lead me to believe that the sport suspension is in no way harsh, I would love to have it. Thx
Old 05-22-2014, 10:42 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wait for cayman gt4
Old 05-22-2014, 10:48 PM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Get sport suspension, especially if there is no additional cost.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:11 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pass altogether IMHO

If you must - sport susp
The next owner will want it
Old 05-22-2014, 11:41 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 191 Posts

Did I miss something? They say you can't get an RS, so you're asking which suspension for the spouse's car? Was the RS going to be for them too? If so, I'm sure they can handle the sports suspension. Based on the last RS production, I have a hard time believing Porsche won't stamp out as many RS's as they can sell. If its a one or the other question, wait for the RS or at least the GT4. Otherwise, get the sports suspension and don't look back.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:56 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by indianam3
I received a call from the dealer today saying that since my GT3 RS allocation is going to a 918 buyer, they would offer me this. They said the Cayman GTS was going to be a limited edition (500 examples) and they were told today they were getting 2 cars only. 250 will be produced in July and 250 will be produced in September. Here is my question, I am pretty solid on options, with one exception. The sport suspension is a zero cost option, so I can go either way at the same price. This is a DD that my spouse will drive ocasionally. It is not to be tracked, so my current judgement is that the standard suspension is the right choice. If anyone has experience or knowledge that would lead me to believe that the sport suspension is in no way harsh, I would love to have it. Thx
Seriously? You get left out of what you want and go get a vastly inferior car at the same dealer?
Old 05-22-2014, 11:57 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

1) 991 GT3 RS allocations aren't dished out yet, so it's a bit premature for a dealership to say all they're going to get are going to be consumed by their own 918 buyers. (As a 918 buyer, you can only exercise this right of first refusal at the dealership you bought your 918 Spyder from.)
2) Even if they were dished out yet, it's a bit premature for a dealership to say they're all gone because I find it hard to believe every single 918 buyer has already decided they want a 991 GT3 RS (even though many might).
3) And even if all of this is true, they still could ask PCNA for another allocation because they have a confirmed deposit on hand from a previous / loyal customer with whom they have a relationship. And, honestly, PCNA and PAG are in the business of making money. All previously announced limited editions (997.2 GT3 RS 4.0, 997.2 GT2 RS, etc.) were announced as limited from the start, and the # publicly known.
4) I suspect there will be at least two Model Years of the 991 GT3 RS, just like the 997.2 and 997.1. Porsche is in the business of making money. As such, even if all first MY allocs are dished out and consumed early by 918 buyers, they're idiots to think you wouldn't want a 2nd MY one (in fact, I prefer 2nd MY).
5) The 981.1 Cayman GTS can't possibly be limited to 500 worldwide. That's idiotic on Porsche's part, if it's true. I might believe it for the Cayman GT4, maybe.

Find yourself a new dealer, and build that relationship there by explaining your unfortunate situation with your lazy, and perhaps greedy (by coercing you into locking down a different allocation because you ain't gonna get that RS that you wanted -- that they really just want to sell to someone else for, possibly, an unfriendly market adjustment/premium), dealership.

I have zero sympathy for "bad" dealerships.

Who is your dealer? If you'd rather not say on here, please PM me their name. They're going on my Blacklist. Thanks!
Old 05-23-2014, 12:01 AM
indianam3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ranger22
Did I miss something? They say you can't get an RS, so you're asking which suspension for the spouse's car? Was the RS going to be for them too? If so, I'm sure they can handle the sports suspension. Based on the last RS production, I have a hard time believing Porsche won't stamp out as many RS's as they can sell. If its a one or the other question, wait for the RS or at least the GT4. Otherwise, get the sports suspension and don't look back.
No, you didn't miss anything but you have tied some incorrect assumptions together that have lead to incorrect conclusions:

1) I have a .2 rs for track use, would have sold it and bought new rs, but cannot now due to 918 issue and quite frankly, I luv the .2 so much it is probably a life long car

2) I was about to change daily drivers in the fall, the dealer knew this, and made this offer

3) NOT the spouses car, my DD, but she has a hard rule, you cannot own 2 cars that I am not comfortable driving at once, she has and can drive the rs well, but refuses as it is not comfortable for her, seats like a shoe horn, loud, stiff clutch, harsh ride, etc, etc
Old 05-23-2014, 12:12 AM
indianam3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ranger22
Originally Posted by GreenLantern
1) 991 GT3 RS allocations aren't dished out yet, so it's a bit premature for a dealership to say all they're going to get are going to be consumed by their own 918 buyers. (As a 918 buyer, you can only exercise this right of first refusal at the dealership you bought your 918 Spyder from.)
2) Even if they were dished out yet, it's a bit premature for a dealership to say they're all gone because I find it hard to believe every single 918 buyer has already decided they want a 991 GT3 RS (even though many might).
3) And even if all of this is true, they still could ask PCNA for another allocation because they have a confirmed deposit on hand from a previous / loyal customer with whom they have a relationship. And, honestly, PCNA and PAG are in the business of making money. All previously announced limited editions (997.2 GT3 RS 4.0, 997.2 GT2 RS, etc.) were announced as limited from the start, and the # publicly known.
4) I suspect there will be at least two Model Years of the 991 GT3 RS, just like the 997.2 and 997.1. Porsche is in the business of making money. As such, even if all first MY allocs are dished out and consumed early by 918 buyers, they're idiots to think you wouldn't want a 2nd MY one (in fact, I prefer 2nd MY).
5) The 981.1 Cayman GTS can't possibly be limited to 500 worldwide. That's idiotic on Porsche's part, if it's true. I might believe it for the Cayman GT4, maybe.

Find yourself a new dealer, and build that relationship there by explaining your unfortunate situation with your lazy, and perhaps greedy (by coercing you into locking down a different allocation because you ain't gonna get that RS that you wanted -- that they really just want to sell to someone else for, possibly, an unfriendly market adjustment/premium), dealership.

I have zero sympathy for "bad" dealerships.

Who is your dealer? If you'd rather not say on here, please PM me their name. They're going on my Blacklist. Thanks!
First, read the answer before this one, 2 different cars for 2 different purposes. Second, you also have an incorrect assumption, I was told 500 us, not world wide, I have absolutely no idea if that is the case. Third, this is opinion only, but I feel my dealer has treated me well. The RS you see with my post was my first P-Car ever. As you stated above they went to bat for me, I actually met with a PCNA rep at the dealership, and they facilitated my car at he very, very end of the run, speced uniquely for me in every way. To elaborate, if the new rs is paddles only, or turbo, or all wheel steering, or, or, or, it is probably not for me.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:38 AM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
Second, you also have an incorrect assumption, I was told 500 us, not world wide, I have absolutely no idea if that is the case.
I'm just going off what you said in your original post above...

They said the Cayman GTS was going to be a limited edition (500 examples) and they were told today they were getting 2 cars only. 250 will be produced in July and 250 will be produced in September.
I suppose I did incorrectly assume you meant that they meant 500 examples worldwide, but typically Porsche has quoted limited editions in worldwide numbers since the final country specific numbers aren't always set right at the beginning.

But, you know, I could easily be wrong about my assumption of the Cayman GTS... It's just not as limited edition worthy as the GT4 would be.

Third, this is opinion only, but I feel my dealer has treated me well. The RS you see with my post was my first P-Car ever. As you stated above they went to bat for me, I actually met with a PCNA rep at the dealership, and they facilitated my car at he very, very end of the run, speced uniquely for me in every way.
That's a fair statement. But, it doesn't feel like they're going to bat for you now.

To elaborate, if the new rs is paddles only, or turbo, or all wheel steering, or, or, or, it is probably not for me.
Fair enough.

All my other points still hold, in my opinion, though. Think about how bad it would be for Porsche's most brand loyal customers (i.e., GT / RS owners) if every single upcoming RS car, and every single limited edition car, was instantly consumed by 918 Spyder buyers (i.e., folks who can justify a $900k car -- not the case with most GT / RS owners). Porsche isn't that elitest, nor that dumb, despite some of their shortcomings over the years. Also, PCNA and PAG are in the business of making money... and so is the VW Group.

I still have zero sympathy for "bad" dealerships. (Where "bad" is defined by lazy, greedy to the point of risking damaging strong/long lasting relationships, or unscrupulous.)

Last edited by GreenLantern; 05-23-2014 at 12:57 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:46 AM
indianam3
Rennlist Member

i agree with your closing paragraph. it will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:59 AM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

i agree with your closing paragraph. it will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

*nod* Yeah, I'm curious, as well. Given their success with the 997, they've got a lot of potential with the 991... Hopefully they don't mess it up.

(Yes, I realize it could be said they already are messing it up, by making the Turbo, Turbo S, and GT3, PDK only.)
Old 05-23-2014, 03:08 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

in today's mkt, everything is limited edition. personally i always use limited edition costco toilet paper. by limiting the number and giving a plaque on the dash doesn't mean the car is any better. conversely large production number isn't bad. limited edition usually have more problems then unlimited editions and hard to find parts. i have had my share of limited edition cars, watches, fountain pens and valve amps. GTS is a loaded up S. get the GT4. they OWE you. you should request 3 or 4 GT4's and i will buy the extra ones off you.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:58 AM
9972RS
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

when is this GT4 coming out?
Old 05-23-2014, 10:14 AM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cayman RS will probably be out in a couple of years after the GT3 RS. Porsche knows how to keep us interested!!!

Quick Reply: Dealer call today - Cayman GTS