Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 brake feel

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 09:55 PM
gator9_911
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 997.2 brake feel

The brake feel on my mk2 GT3 seem like it has a lot of pedal travel before the brakes actually "feel " like they are working. Yes I have pfc08 pads with Pfc rotors...so I know heat needs to be there. However my street (stock) 997.1 C2S feels amazing...at the top of the petal. My 996 GT3 also felt great at the top. To the point that you can literally use your big toe to apply normal braking.

Braking is there and insane on track. But the extra pedal travel never goes away. The 997.2 has had new pistons and seals done. So outside of a new booster...I'm not sure what to look at. Rock hard when car is off...and releases when car starts.

Is this just a trait of the gen2? Any help from a gen2 driver would be appreciated.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:23 PM
oldskews4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

7GT3's have more pedal travel than 6GT3's. Must be the difference in caliper piston sizes and/or the master cylinder.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:25 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts

make sure the little metal plate on the PFC08's back plate is removed, otherwise, it will cause the pistons to sit slightly back and give a soft pedal.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:36 AM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gator9_911
The brake feel on my mk2 GT3 seem like it has a lot of pedal travel before the brakes actually "feel " like they are working. Yes I have pfc08 pads with Pfc rotors...so I know heat needs to be there. However my street (stock) 997.1 C2S feels amazing...at the top of the petal. My 996 GT3 also felt great at the top. To the point that you can literally use your big toe to apply normal braking.

Braking is there and insane on track. But the extra pedal travel never goes away. The 997.2 has had new pistons and seals done. So outside of a new booster...I'm not sure what to look at. Rock hard when car is off...and releases when car starts.

Is this just a trait of the gen2? Any help from a gen2 driver would be appreciated.
This can sometimes happen after changing the piston seals if they aren't really well lubricated for reassembly. The pistons flex rather than slide on the seals when you brake, and then the pistons retract when you let off the brake. That's where the pedal travel comes from. If you pump the pedal quickly the pedal gets firmer at the top, and you'll know that this is the issue. Use a lot of brake caliper assembly lube (NAPA) when rebuilding. You should be able to press the pistons back in easily with just your thumbs if the pistons are sufficiently lubricated. Then this problem doesn't occur.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:52 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some fluids also retain moisture more or are inherently more compressible. I like the Endless brake fluid for that reason, seems to maintain a harder pedal.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:28 AM
gator9_911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dantzig
This can sometimes happen after changing the piston seals if they aren't really well lubricated for reassembly. The pistons flex rather than slide on the seals when you brake, and then the pistons retract when you let off the brake. That's where the pedal travel comes from. If you pump the pedal quickly the pedal gets firmer at the top, and you'll know that this is the issue. Use a lot of brake caliper assembly lube (NAPA) when rebuilding. You should be able to press the pistons back in easily with just your thumbs if the pistons are sufficiently lubricated. Then this problem doesn't occur.
I had this feel before I rebuilt my calipers. Just got it back from the shop after a full Porsche Motorsports rebuild kit (pistons, internal deals, dust boots etc) and it feels the same. Taking it out for a track day tomorrow.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:15 PM
Matrog
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Perhaps it is your brake pads

What did it feel like w/ the OE pads installed ?
Old 05-22-2014, 03:53 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by gator9_911
I had this feel before I rebuilt my calipers. Just got it back from the shop after a full Porsche Motorsports rebuild kit (pistons, internal deals, dust boots etc) and it feels the same. Taking it out for a track day tomorrow.
Check the brake pads. My shop left the removable metal plate on the back side of the 08 pads, and that's what caused the soft pedal for the first couple inches, they sometimes bow out from the backing plate, which push your pistons back....I removed it, and presto, back to normal rock,hard GT3 pedal. Check your pads....
Old 05-22-2014, 04:06 PM
gator9_911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mvez
Check the brake pads. My shop left the removable metal plate on the back side of the 08 pads, and that's what caused the soft pedal for the first couple inches, they sometimes bow out from the backing plate, which push your pistons back....I removed it, and presto, back to normal rock,hard GT3 pedal. Check your pads....
I will check. This makes sense. I have always had the PFC08 pads so I can't compare feel with the OEM stuff. But I will pull the pads off and se if that plate was left on. Thank you!
Old 05-23-2014, 11:42 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

I don't have a .2, but my .1 with PFC and brebmo rotors with endless fluid is pretty grabby right at the top of the pedal travel, nice firm feel.

I'm with others here: check for any spacers between pucks and pads (remove them), ensure pistons are all free, lastly it might be worth doing a full purge/flush of your fluid too, possible have some air in there?
Old 06-09-2014, 12:32 PM
gator9_911
Rennlist Member

So I met with Clark from apex this weekend at the track. He was the one the turned me on to the Pfc pads. We can't figure out which part is supposed to come off? All we could
See is the metal plate...and the carbon brake material?

Sorry for my ignorance...but what am I missing? I

Quick Reply: 997.2 brake feel