Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Mooty is a GT3 legend

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 12:21 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

^ i didn't do anything. i just ate and enjoyed good company and got my car D I R T Y.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:11 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
^ i didn't do anything. i just ate and enjoyed good company and got my car D I R T Y.
Mooty is modest. He eats fast, drives well, speaks truth, wears sweatpants, rolls an RS with stuffed animals in the windows, and turned out to be so damn interesting to talk to about bicycles (which I don't care about much) that I had to remind myself to brake into one corner...a biiiiit late. Mooty was pure zen riding shotgun. Yes, I think more adventures with M O O T Y are to come. Still like the idea of the Germans trying to figure him out at a press launch, and then again after he smokes the assembled writers on track—but have yet to figure out a way forward for Mooty-speak in long form. Many things can be done. This one, I am not so sure.

pete

P.S. Big props must go to Orlando, too, who brought the 3.8. Sitting on a log with him in the middle of nowhere while waiting for Ralph to be tracked down was truly enjoyable. What a good dude. And then there's Ralph...and PeteVB and MAR. Sharky is alright, too. This whole thing was the result of a bunch of PCA members and Rennlisters giving of their time and talent, and hopefully it provides some interesting information and perspective.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:54 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

I also just want to thank my fellow rennlisters for making this happen. It was not an easy task to get this done. It was a privilege/honor to drive/test and play with all you guys. The cool thing here is that I've never seen a magazine actually get so grassroots, techie and interactive with the likes of Mooty, PeteVB, Orlando, SnowBoarder etc... I know I learned a helluva lot from it and from the experts involved. Appreciate y'all playing with my blue/orange Jalopy.

Pano truly is a magazine for for hardcore drivers by hardcore drivers. I've been through _many_ tests but nothing as in-depth and in terms of the scope.

Long live the manual and driving dirty!
Old 04-11-2014, 05:13 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
Long live the manual and driving dirty!
Fully agreed! Let's have the above line in Pano too! It speaks the truth!

Old 04-11-2014, 05:21 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Fully agreed! Let's have the above line in Pano too! It speaks the truth!

Hmm...

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...t3-review.html

and

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-panorama.html

Old 04-11-2014, 07:47 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
All I know is... I'm a vegetarian and yet I've never seen anyone eat so much salad in one go. You must still have the competition level metabolism!>!>
You must fart a lot then, good thing you ain't vegan!
Old 04-11-2014, 10:55 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just read the article. Good stuff!
Old 04-11-2014, 10:57 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 276 Posts

^ditto...just got the mag in Chicago. Good stuff! +++
Old 04-12-2014, 01:38 AM
VegasSpeedy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mooty the Magnus of modern Porsches...
Old 04-12-2014, 01:41 AM
VegasSpeedy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having just read the article. I have to say Mootys comments were really the only ones truly worth reading being that he well..owns/ owned a ton of these cars.

The author kept on mentioning the differences in road feel of the 3.8 vs the 4.0. Mooty, is the difference really that significant and if someone (me) were to swap the 3.8 suspension for the 4.0 what would that entail in terms of parts and costs?

(Yes I did search for this info and NO I found no post addressing this question)
Old 04-12-2014, 01:46 AM
GT3.2
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Forget Dan Gurney, MOOTY For President. Let's get the bumper stickers made ASAP.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:49 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

the suspension was indeed very different
the 3.8 and 4.0 were aligned the same way on same wheels an identical tires, been age of the tires. I don't know why there's a difference, that's for engineers, but they do feel different. the 4.1 is set up by the same guy that set up the other two cars as well, but not as agree sickly aligned and to me,I roved more. perhaps it was not set as low as the other two.

IF I were to chg the suspension on 3,8, I personally would do rear toe links, motion/MCS shox, rear upper shock mounts, rear lower ctr arm, upper rear dog bones, front LCA, front tie rods, in that order. that's about 10,000$ and have someone who can really set up do the alignment.

that said its a lot of money doing all that. just buy more gas and keep the right foot down. and SMILE, eat, drive dirty....
Old 04-12-2014, 01:54 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by GT3.2
Forget Dan Gurney, MOOTY For President. Let's get the bumper stickers made ASAP.
thx, but I do not believe in democracy.
I do not vote.
I'm not republican nor democrat, I'm my own cult. I welcome others to join for a fee and annual contributions and sacrifices are mandatory of course. And owning a dozen of Gund bears minimum, know all their names, habits and food they eat.u think I'm kidding.....my shrink gave up on me long ago, as I still bring my bears to work... as I
pull them out of my brief case and when I start talking to them...... the clients faces...
timeless.

I'm a dictator, my way or highway.
I think the purple forbidden city is my home. White House, Versailles buckingham, kremlin..... meh...I have no interest.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:52 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Is there a link? Or has anyone scanned the article?

I haven't received Pano since we moved...
Old 04-12-2014, 09:20 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
Is there a link? Or has anyone scanned the article?

I haven't received Pano since we moved...
Same here and it will probably take me a month to get the issue, but uploads of copyrighted material are strictly forbidden in this open forum.
Let's respect the guys and the effort they put into this one.

About the link, I'm under the impression that you can read it online as a PCA member.? Pete should know.

Quick Reply: Mooty is a GT3 legend