Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

So do I need Time-Serts or stud kit or both?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 01:21 PM
LooseMarble
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So do I need Time-Serts or stud kit or both?

Was going to pull out the rear pads after a track event this past weekend. I have not had the rears out since I bought the car about a year ago.

Three of the caliper bolts came out as expected but the 4th one felt terrible when I was turning it. It felt like it was cross threaded or galled. after it started moving it required increasing torque to keep it turning. Not good. I decided to just leave it in for now as I'm sure I am going to ruin the aluminum threads to get it out and I want to be prepare with what i need to fix it.

Have read about the TIME-Serts to repair the female threads but have also read that a stud kit is the final solution. My question: If the threads are messed up in my upright am I right to assume that I need to do the time-serts and then studs or are the studs larger than original and require drill/tap anyway to install so I only need the studs.

What is the reliable source for what I need?

Car is '07 997.1 RS with PCCB.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:01 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know how the repair for this is handled but I do know the studs are definitely the way to go if you are changing/flipping pads regularly. Get them at the first opportunity if you track much. Even if you don't track a lot there is no drawback to having them and you know you don't run into that problem again.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:18 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 196 Posts

^ Truth. Two events per set of rear pads and you're easily winding & unwinding those caliper bolts tens of times a year.

Eddie @ RPW used to sell caliper studs and nuts. Worth your while if you track often.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:50 PM
RedRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the threads in the aluminum uprights are sound, then there is the option of just going to Cup Studs. However, if the threads are already damaged as it sounds they are in your case, then you need TimeSerts to effect the repair. After you install the TimeSerts (do them all while you're at it), then install the Cup studs to reduce issues going forward.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:50 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Get them studs asap. Just a great feature to have.
Your indy may need to timesert em' first.

If you own track wheels, you may wanna convert to wheel studs too
Old 03-29-2014, 11:31 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

I did the Timeserts over a year ago. Was a relatively easy process and have changed the rear pads since without issue.

I do like the idea of studs though and if I was doing it today I'd probably go that direction.

Quick Reply: So do I need Time-Serts or stud kit or both?