Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Any Rennlisters attending the BMWCCA COTA event March 21-23?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 12:48 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,995 Likes on 2,276 Posts

Originally Posted by surlynkid
Trojan - it is a perfect time of year here in May. Bring the purple girl out.
Ok, next question....who can trailer violet all the way to COTA and back for me???
Old 03-22-2014, 11:45 PM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Well I've walked the garages and talked to a few folks but seem to be missing several of you. Did see the white RS 4.0 in one garage. VERY nice!

We've had 2 perfect days but I think tomorrow is going to suck. I've got a new blue student who's there for the first time so I'm pretty sure I'll be passing time all day long between his run sessions. I'll do another pass by the garages.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:54 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Bart

I am in 24
TexasRS is in 27
ShakeNBake is in 19 with the flying Penguin

My wife went for a ride in the 4.0 and had a blast.

We are all over the place.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:59 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts

A very nice 3-day weekend at COTA. I saw no rain, ran in cool, dry conditions all weekend. I REALLY like BMWCCA passing - anywhere with a point in the White group. This really helped keep things moving, except for the occasional rolling roadblock oblidiot. The drivers that "did not play well with others", DE management actually yanked them down to a lower group; you do not often see actual enforcement.....

Big thanks to Jacy, my in car coach!! I dropped several seconds over the weekend, with a combination of better lines and better driving. I am actually starting to like COTA; 2-9 and 13-19 have really grown on me as I have started to carry a little speed there.

Best lap on video below (2:25.6). Car is 2007 GT3, many modifications (monoballs, solid mounts, Moton 2-ways, Cup linkage, blade sways, Cup splitter and rear wing, Yok slicks I got as scrubs; I have 15 heat cycles on them). RPM sensor is flaky, so RPM and gear may be off at times.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:24 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Great times! Very different entry into 3 than I was doing which put my turn in from the right side of the track.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:30 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 552 Posts

James it was a pleasure to meet and ride with you. My eyeballs are still hurting from the G-forces in your car. 25 is smoking, and you make it look like a Sunday drive. How did you end up liking the 2-3-4 line?

Video: Whew, for a second there I though that might be me you were passing....different RS.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:42 AM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by BartN (TX)
Great times! Very different entry into 3 than I was doing which put my turn in from the right side of the track.
...yep, that 2-3 line is one of the secrets that Shake was teaching (see below), but don't tell anyone else....

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
James it was a pleasure to meet and ride with you. My eyeballs are still hurting from the G-forces in your car. 25 is smoking, and you make it look like a Sunday drive. How did you end up liking the 2-3-4 line?
Really liked the 2-3-4 concept. Still time to pick up there, but it is already better than what I was doing . I can get more out of 6-7, and 16-17-18-19 has lots more to give, also. Thanks for the coaching, it was a great weekend!
Old 03-25-2014, 11:13 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by facelvega
. I can get more out of 6-7
I drove Tim's Martini car (what a blast), and it totally changed my attack on 6, now I can stay on throttle (accelerating) all the way through exit of 5 and entry to 6 and be WOT at the apex of 6 - which before was not working for me. Now I have the trouble of barely keeping the car on the track at the track-out of 7...which is great. COTA punishes you for wide lines at 6 and the 16-18 complex. Camber really drops off...the inside of of a lot of the corners is a flat ledge, and then seems to drop off at mid track. I would LOVE to walk this track.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:49 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

BTW, Just thought I'd mention here that many of you probably did see me and just didn't realize it. I was instructing Jeff in the Green Lambo SuperLeggera. WHAT A FREAK'N BLAST!!! Not sure who had more fun, me or him. Driving down to Turn 12 never got old. Talk about a passing zone.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:58 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BartN (TX)
BTW, Just thought I'd mention here that many of you probably did see me and just didn't realize it. I was instructing Jeff in the Green Lambo SuperLeggera. WHAT A FREAK'N BLAST!!! Not sure who had more fun, me or him. Driving down to Turn 12 never got old. Talk about a passing zone.
That was a very sweet car, but I never got a chance to see it in anger on the track. Same color as my mountain bike...
Old 03-26-2014, 11:00 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
That was a very sweet car, but I never got a chance to see it in anger on the track. Same color as my mountain bike...
For a 'blue' student he was great. Should've be a run group up but there was no room on Saturday. Hearing it going down the front straight between the grandstands was a treat.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters attending the BMWCCA COTA event March 21-23?