Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

WTB 997.1 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 10:50 PM
MikejGT3
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WTB 997.1 GT3

I'm looking for a 997.1 GT3 preferably white but will consider other colors.
I was in talks with a dealer about one and decide to pass on it. will not disclose why.

I have been in talks with a member here about one, but i think he has decide to keep the car...which is understandable.

I'm looking for a car with 20-40K miles, never been wrecked possibly never been track...if it has been tracked that it has not spent its complete life on the track.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:33 PM
Fisher
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

Just google used cars for sale. Try cars, carfax, carmax, autotrader, etc.

Found mine on cars.com, but that was 2010. I tried them all before finding the exact options I wanted. Just call me lucky.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:44 PM
MikejGT3
Advanced

I have been using those sites for several months.. Downfall is most now are either a 996 or there a RS. There is one GT3 on cars.com that is a scam.. I talked to the original seller the car is in his clients garage not for sale.... The other 2 I will pass on...

Thanks for the input

Figured I would post a WTB on here and if someone is thinking of selling there car then maybe I will help them make there decision to sell... Also to add I have funds ready to go!
Old 02-26-2014, 12:45 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

i know a while car
one owner
tracked, maybe 25 days
well cared for
bucket seat (from 997.2 gt3)
roll bar that can be removed
clr flim since day one. and just reapplied new film by one of the most famous shop in nor cal, premier.
lwfw
guard lsd
it's not a cheap one.
28000 miles
car is in nor cal.
not mine.
if you can't find others, might look at this one.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:56 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 56 Posts

Mike, your predicament and frustration is understandable. You probably realize all the factors involved...IMO the primary one is the non-availability of a manual gearbox in the 991 GT3 which seems to have resulted in many current owners keeping the GT3 that they already have, at least for the time being.

The RS models already commanded premium prices and now they are $10-20K higher than they were a year ago which has has the effect of keeping the prices of clean non-RS GT3's at higher than normal depreciation curves. As with any pre-owned vehicle, condition and mileage have an big impact on resale values, as does simple economics...low supply + high demand = higher prices.

My first GT3 choice was an orange 997.1 RS and even when nice ones were slightly below $100K, that was more than my retiree's budget would comfortably allow. A 997.1 GT3 was the best alternative for me since I didn't intend to track the car and the performance difference between it and a .1 RS was so small as not to be a factor on the street. But the RS admittedly looks cooler and had the extra $20-30K not been a factor, sure, that's what would be in the garage now.

Last year, prior to the price spike I was very fortunate that a long-time (40+ years) Porsche enthusiast friend contacted me. He had a super nice, never tracked but higher mileage (38k) GT3 and was receptive to a trade for a Carrera RS 3.0 widebody replica that my brother and I had built a few years ago. It took awhile to make the deal happen but it did and I am thrilled with the GT3.

Once Porsche solves the engine fire issues and more important - if they listen to potential buyers' demands for a manual gearbox option and offer that, I predict that there will be more pre-owned GT3's on the market. Right now the shift-for-yourself segment of enthusiast owners like me are holding onto their current GT3. And then, there is the Mezger engine...

Just my opinion, YMMV

But keep looking, every now and then a good one pops up!
Old 02-26-2014, 02:33 PM
aircavscout
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just reviewed autotrader.com.. No less than 20 for sale right now.
Agree with previous statement.. Hard to justify the cost of an RS over a base model. I won't try to sell you on the benefits. For me I just wanted the wide body and NO SUNROOF.. I had a Twin Turbo before I purchased this car and swore I would not own another car with a sunroof.

I spent about 8 months looking for my car, left lots of numbers with dealers. Finally got the call, and picked up the next day.

Good luck and hope to see you on the road in your new GT3 soon!
Old 02-26-2014, 07:24 PM
MikejGT3
Advanced

Jackb911 I agree with your statement..... A few people have contacted about there cars and Im inquiring information and going from there! Hopefully can get one locked down!
Old 02-26-2014, 09:00 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MikejGT3
I'm looking for a 997.1 GT3 preferably white but will consider other colors.
I was in talks with a dealer about one and decide to pass on it. will not disclose why.

I have been in talks with a member here about one, but i think he has decide to keep the car...which is understandable.

I'm looking for a car with 20-40K miles, never been wrecked possibly never been track...if it has been tracked that it has not spent its complete life on the track.
pm me please
Elliot
Old 02-26-2014, 10:09 PM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

I've been looking too. Market is white hot. Just chill for a while. By Nov this will all be over.

The 991 (which they will sort) will run circles around the old car. The hardcore guys will hold on but the guys with money and means will move on. Mostly because the new car will be that much faster on the street and track. I am a hardcore purist / 5 spd guy but this is a fact.

I would look to buy a 996 gt2 or 997 gt2 at this point. Both cars are monsters, rarer and have yet to explode in value (but they will).

GL
Old 02-26-2014, 10:10 PM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MikejGT3
I'm looking for a 997.1 GT3 preferably white but will consider other colors. I was in talks with a dealer about one and decide to pass on it. will not disclose why. I have been in talks with a member here about one, but i think he has decide to keep the car...which is understandable. I'm looking for a car with 20-40K miles, never been wrecked possibly never been track...if it has been tracked that it has not spent its complete life on the track.
I've been looking too. Market is white hot. Just chill for a while. By Nov this will all be over.

The 991 (which they will sort) will run circles around the old car. The hardcore guys will hold on but the guys with money and means will move on. Mostly because the new car will be that much faster on the street and track. I am a hardcore purist / 5 spd guy but this is a fact.

I would look to buy a 996 gt2 or 997 gt2 at this point. Both cars are monsters, rarer and have yet to explode in value (but they will).

GL
Old 02-26-2014, 10:27 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ mot so sure
Old 02-26-2014, 10:29 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Modena 1

GL
+1 - not sure about the NOV time frame, but I'll wait it out and get something newer, or something reasonable.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:28 PM
MikejGT3
Advanced

I have been watching the pricing on the GT3 since november... I have to admit the market is so crazy on these cars...you can find really good priced cars and then you find cars that so over priced. There is no consistent market pricing on these cars....it goes anywhere from 64-89K I understand factors come into play like accidents, modifications, factory options, mileage and what part of the country the car is in.
You find someone with a 30,000 mile car and they want 69-76k but then you can find someone with a 40K car and they want 78-84K. Then if the car has a accident report on CarFax they want 60-69K. Then lord help you of you look at a dealer with a GT3 they are 85k and up. One reason i prefer to buy a car from a private seller..
Old 02-27-2014, 12:24 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

I've been watching GT3 prices since 2007.
BTW I sold my 07 with 17k miles for $78k

In Jan 2010..

At the prices I'll learn to keep my left foot on the dead pedal or build a 430HP Cayman 6 speed.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:39 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

reter, you sold well
i have been watching 911 prices since 1988.
they all hold price very well except during econ disaster 2001, 2008 for example
there are cheap cars and $S$$ cars. but mkt is transparent. there are reasons why certain cars are cheaper then others. one gets lucky when seller is desperate, divorce, marriage, kids, ran out of money, or when i run out of garage space. other than special circumstances, i have never see ANY car sold below mkt that i consider remotely acceptable, all had problems. that doesn't mean i always buy high or buy low.

say if i find a 7.1 for 60k, i wont bother ppi or ask too many questions. i would sassume it's garbage and ready to be gutted for track use. if i were to pay 90k for 7.1 (yes, they do exist and not RS either), i would have mehcanics, bodyshop paint guys spend 8-10 hours going over the car.

you got to know what you are looking for, what you want the car for.......

Quick Reply: WTB 997.1 GT3