Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Sold one, got a different one

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 04:23 PM
MirageJHU
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Sold one, got a different one

So I sold my GT3RS pretty quickly to a friend of a friend, huge thanks to this community for making the process so easy and thanks to mooty for helping with some stupid questions I had.

There were 2 reasons I sold it, I wanted to get a 911 I wouldn't feel bad about putting a full cage in so I can continue to learn how to drive fast and be safe, (I don't have the ***** to fully cage the GT3RS)
Secondly...well I wanted to buy this:

So I'm a royal idiot, first 911 is a GT3RS. Second 911...GT2RS.

Spec:
Carbon fenders, lithium battery, lightweight headlights, sport chrono, pcm+nav, sport buckets, thicker steering wheel, factory black wheels, carbon interior, two tone red/black interior, red seatbelts

I will definitely auto-x it to learn it more, and maybe track this once, but the plan is to track something else with a full cage and keep learning how to tame these monsters.

The car is at a friend's shop, I haven't driven it yet and his friend took some very nice, professional pictures for me that are attached..

Can I still hang out in this forum or do I have to move to the turbo forum ?
Attached Images    

Last edited by MirageJHU; 02-15-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:35 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

I think you really nailed with this one! 620 ponies!!!
This is going to be fun!
You can look forward to the rest of the year!
Congrats!
You're a lucky man!
Old 02-15-2014, 04:41 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MirageJHU
So I sold my GT3RS pretty quickly to a friend of a friend, huge thanks to this community for making the process so easy and thanks to mooty for helping with some stupid questions I had.

There were 2 reasons I sold it, I wanted to get a 911 I wouldn't feel bad about putting a full cage in so I can continue to learn how to drive fast and be safe, (I don't have the ***** to fully cage the GT3RS)
Secondly...well I wanted to buy this:

So I'm a royal idiot, first 911 is a GT3RS. Second 911...GT2RS.

Spec:
Carbon fenders, lithium battery, lightweight headlights, sport chrono, pcm+nav, sport buckets, thicker steering wheel, factory black wheels, carbon interior, two tone red/black interior, red seatbelts

I will definitely auto-x it to learn it more, and maybe track this once, but the plan is to track something with a full cage and keep learning how to tame these monsters.

The car is at a friend's shop, I haven't driven it yet and his friend took some very nice, professional pictures for me that are attached..

Can I still hang out in this sub?
Congrats - on this "huge" upgrade

You are one of the few who went from GT3 to GT2 - and to GT2RS is always a step upwards. Of course you can be around on tracks with this car...I would however replace the PCCBs and store them. I know a friend who destroyed the GT2RS PCCBs in 3 trackdays..

Just one question:
I wanted to get a 911 I wouldn't feel bad about putting a full cage in so I can continue to learn how to drive fast and be safe, (I don't have the ***** to fully cage the GT3RS)

No offense, but - have you driven the GT2RS already? this GT2RS is more rare then your 997 GT3RS.."continue to learn"..well - I wouldnt call the GT2RS a better "learner car"..certainly not better then the GT3RS for "learning".

Nevertheless, you did the best thing according to me (meaning: using the high price 997.2GT3RS in order to buy in in the "for the moment relatively cheaper GT2RS"..

If you ask me..in max 10 years the GT2RS will be there where the 993 GT2 is today
Old 02-15-2014, 04:51 PM
MirageJHU
Racer

Originally Posted by neanicu
I think you really nailed with this one! 620 ponies!!!
This is going to be fun!
You can look forward to the rest of the year!
Congrats!
You're a lucky man!
Thanks so much!!

Originally Posted by P_collector
Congrats - on this "huge" upgrade

You are one of the few who went from GT3 to GT2 - and to GT2RS is always a step upwards. Of course you can be around on tracks with this car...I would however replace the PCCBs and store them. I know a friend who destroyed the GT2RS PCCBs in 3 trackdays..

Just one question:
I wanted to get a 911 I wouldn't feel bad about putting a full cage in so I can continue to learn how to drive fast and be safe, (I don't have the ***** to fully cage the GT3RS)

No offense, but - have you driven the GT2RS already? this GT2RS is more rare then your 997 GT3RS.."continue to learn"..well - I wouldnt call the GT2RS a better "learner car"..certainly not better then the GT3RS for "learning".

Nevertheless, you did the best thing according to me (meaning: using the high price 997.2GT3RS in order to buy in in the "for the moment relatively cheaper GT2RS"..

If you ask me..in max 10 years the GT2RS will be there where the 993 GT2 is today
Excellent point on the PCCBs, I have some steel rotors I bought but never installed on the 3RS, or I'm pondering the MovITs as well.

No offense taken, I have driven a GT2RS, just not mine yet

I've got a decent grip on tracking 911s, I did 8 or 9 days in the GT3RS, I think I was probably 7/10s if I compare myself to the real hotshoes on here. Recently I drove a 911 with a full cage and the sense of security my times dropped very quickly and upon some reflection I'm certain it was because it was a cheaper and safer car I was FAR more relaxed in the car. This car probably won't see a track until at least 1-2 auto-xs and a lot more miles, but I definitely want to have it on track once

Completely agree on your point about the pricing. I am shocked for a numbered car it was trading below MSRP and low miles, good spec. For me I've always wanted Porsche Turbos moreso than the GT3 counterparts. I just can't wait to drive this thing, whatever happens to the price in the future happens, but my smile is right now
Old 02-15-2014, 05:01 PM
widers911
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 95 Posts

Holy crap thats a hell of an upgrade! So you will be putting a full cage in the car?

Last edited by widers911; 02-15-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:13 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

well bought.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:37 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 638 Likes on 305 Posts

Underappreciated currently, but sure to appreciate as it is the last GT1 Metzger Turbo motor! Sweet ride!
Old 02-15-2014, 05:54 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MirageJHU
Thanks so much!!

Excellent point on the PCCBs, I have some steel rotors I bought but never installed on the 3RS, or I'm pondering the MovITs as well.

No offense taken, I have driven a GT2RS, just not mine yet

I've got a decent grip on tracking 911s, I did 8 or 9 days in the GT3RS, I think I was probably 7/10s if I compare myself to the real hotshoes on here. Recently I drove a 911 with a full cage and the sense of security my times dropped very quickly and upon some reflection I'm certain it was because it was a cheaper and safer car I was FAR more relaxed in the car. This car probably won't see a track until at least 1-2 auto-xs and a lot more miles, but I definitely want to have it on track once

Completely agree on your point about the pricing. I am shocked for a numbered car it was trading below MSRP and low miles, good spec. For me I've always wanted Porsche Turbos moreso than the GT3 counterparts. I just can't wait to drive this thing, whatever happens to the price in the future happens, but my smile is right now
Hi Mirage,

OK....

Brakes: yes...steel is a good option..MovIT for sure is better..but since you have the steels already there..why not use them first..

GT2RS-GT3RS: keep in mind this is a different car..driving a GT2RS at 98% of its capabilities is a different thing compared to 997 GT3RS at 98%... Dont overdo it in the beginning..

Price: yes, but just wanted to remind you of this..I know one person who is tracking and treating his Gt2RS like a smashed 996 GT3 for 50k..just keep in mind that the situation for this car might be totally different in 10 years..e.g. a car made for the track will taken off the track because of its huge price..exactly what happend to the 997 GT3RS will be repeated...while the new GT3s are burning down cruising along (OK...Im mean - sorry).

all the best
Old 02-15-2014, 06:01 PM
MirageJHU
Racer

Originally Posted by widers911
Holy craps thats a hell of an upgrade! So you will be putting a full cage in the car?
Ack I should clarify, I'll get something relatively cheaper with a cage

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
well bought.
Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Underappreciated currently, but sure to appreciate as it is the last GT1 Metzger Turbo motor! Sweet ride!
Thanks!!

Originally Posted by P_collector
Hi Mirage,

OK....

Brakes: yes...steel is a good option..MovIT for sure is better..but since you have the steels already there..why not use them first..

GT2RS-GT3RS: keep in mind this is a different car..driving a GT2RS at 98% of its capabilities is a different thing compared to 997 GT3RS at 98%... Dont overdo it in the beginning..

Price: yes, but just wanted to remind you of this..I know one person who is tracking and treating his Gt2RS like a smashed 996 GT3 for 50k..just keep in mind that the situation for this car might be totally different in 10 years..e.g. a car made for the track will taken off the track because of its huge price..exactly what happend to the 997 GT3RS will be repeated...while the new GT3s are burning down cruising along (OK...Im mean - sorry).

all the best
haha no need to apologize!! I really appreciate the feedback, definitely leaning towards steels too...to be honest this will probably rack up more street miles than anything else and it will be pampered like my 3RS was as well. I won't want to track it too much, but I feel like I should do at at least once . Really interesting points and good food for thought, I seriously appreciate your input here.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:00 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,879 Likes on 970 Posts

Great looking car.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:11 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Congratulations.

You have to stay on this Forum because it is a GT2...
Old 02-15-2014, 07:50 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 344 Posts

awesome!
Old 02-15-2014, 08:08 PM
MirageJHU
Racer

Originally Posted by Nizer
Great looking car.
Originally Posted by enthusiast
Congratulations.

You have to stay on this Forum because it is a GT2...
Originally Posted by 993GT
awesome!
Sweet, I can stay! Thanks for the kind words.

I re-read my original post and tried to edit for clarity. While I will track this at least once, my plan is to get a different 911 that I don't feel bad about caging and make that a track rat...most of this board has gone vintage, I probably won't go super old but definitely something that isn't rare/numbered and something that doesn't have 600+ hp haha

Last edited by MirageJHU; 02-15-2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:50 PM
mepps
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks awesome, congrats!
Old 02-15-2014, 09:00 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Congratulations, use it in good health!

Stunning example, brilliant choice in vehicles.

Wrt to driving on track, Mega respect. These cars are meant to be driven, not to end up on a turntable in your living room waiting for them to appreciate. IMHO

Re Ceramics. We track a lot and have not experienced issues with the rotors, key is to not let the pad wear exceed approx. 70%. Prior to the brake light warning coming on, there are small rivets in the pads that once exposed that can ruin the rotors.

Last edited by TurboS; 02-16-2014 at 12:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Sold one, got a different one