Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 rotors that work with Pagid U8004

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 09:04 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 997.2 rotors that work with Pagid U8004

So I have read thread after thread regarding rotor and pad offerings. None seem to address specifically which rotors are an exact swap in that will fit with the OEM pads. For OEM match, I am well aware that I need the Pagid U8004 pad with the scalloped inner edge to clear the OEM rotor hats. The U2707 does not fit. I am running the RS29 in U8004. I don't want to get into a discussion about what pad is best or not. I just want to know which slotted rotor options are a direct swap to reverse engineer back to the U8004 size pads in the stock calipers. I need a spare set in the trailer. There is so much misinformation about the 2707/8004 fitment thing that most of the websites have it all wrong. I know I can get 997 cup rotors, but they are still drilled and not slotted. Brand and specific part number please. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:57 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I thought 2707 pads were the OEM. Anyway, brembo type lll rotors will work on our cars and yes they need an 8004 or 8003(thinner pad same silhouette) unless you want to grind a 2707 down by 1mm.

The pfc slotted rotors that have been talked about on this forum over and over will work. You lose the e-brake though and will have to get something a little different for the rear.

If you go type lll and want to save some $ I have hats I will sell you. You could just buy discs and hardware.

If you go PFC, Clarke at Apex Performance is the best option. He'll know what part #'s. Then just run oem rears or turbo rears.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:29 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Any reason you're opposed to the cup fronts? They don't crack like the OEM rotors do, larger holes, different design. Cup rotors are 32mm thick so they can take a thicker pad. OEM is 34mm. I have them now, they work well, may go Brembo or PFC most likely when these are done.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:13 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 94 Posts

Do yourself a favor and switch to PFC08 pads and rotors.

PFC front, stock/turbo rears.

In addition, there is a reason our "street" cars have 34mm front rotors, as opposed to Cup car 32mm, because they are considerably heavier (~400lbs), and thus develop more heat. Thicker rotors have a higher thermal capacity, and I would much rather have rotors which last longer, and simply replace pads more often.

PFC make a 34mm "slotted" race rotor for use with their 17mm pads. I ordered them through Clark at Apex, and it's the first time he's ever taken an order. Everybody seems to order the 32mm, and I think it's simply because PFC makes a ton of those for Cup cars, so that's what they push, but I think for our heavier cars, the 34mm is more ideal. Obviously both work fine, but why do I want to trade rotor life for pad life? Just my opinion.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:36 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Any reason you're opposed to the cup fronts? They don't crack like the OEM rotors do, larger holes, different design. Cup rotors are 32mm thick so they can take a thicker pad. OEM is 34mm. I have them now, they work well, may go Brembo or PFC most likely when these are done.
Couple of reasons 1) they still develop cracks originating at the holes 2) mikeymu swapped his PCCBs over and the rotor did not center in his yellow calipers. he had to grind down the pad 1mm. Could that off-center problem be specific to swapping from PCCB and yellow calipers versus coming straight from steel? I still think slotted is preferable to drilled.

Last edited by surlynkid; 02-13-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:43 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mvez
Do yourself a favor and switch to PFC08 pads and rotors.

PFC front, stock/turbo rears.

In addition, there is a reason our "street" cars have 34mm front rotors, as opposed to Cup car 32mm, because they are considerably heavier (~400lbs), and thus develop more heat. Thicker rotors have a higher thermal capacity, and I would much rather have rotors which last longer, and simply replace pads more often.

PFC make a 34mm "slotted" race rotor for use with their 17mm pads. I ordered them through Clark at Apex, and it's the first time he's ever taken an order. Everybody seems to order the 32mm, and I think it's simply because PFC makes a ton of those for Cup cars, so that's what they push, but I think for our heavier cars, the 34mm is more ideal. Obviously both work fine, but why do I want to trade rotor life for pad life? Just my opinion.
I knew I would hear the Pagid vs. PFC pad argument. While everybody has their preference and many bitch about bedding in Pagids, I do like them. I never swap back to street pads, so bedding is of no real concern. Will I change at some point -- I am sure I will try a set of PFC08, but for now I have fresh RS29 and a backup set for the front.

I would much rather swap pads than rotors.

As I am Tokyo at the moment and cannot measure, what is the thickness of the OEM rotor? 32mm or 34mm? I am guessing 34mm.

As the Brembos are ridiculously expensive no matter how cool those swirled slots look, I think PFC rotors end up as the answer here. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:14 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by surlynkid
Couple of reasons 1) they still develop cracks originating at the holes 2) mikeymu swapped his PCCBs over and the rotor did not centered in his yellow calipers. he had to grind down the pad 1mm. Could that off-center problem be specific to swapping from PCCB and yellow calipers versus coming straight from steel? I still think slotted is preferable to drilled.
I saw his pics, they were from a while ago, the newer cup rotors fit perfectly, literally were bolt on for my car the cup rotors I have look different than his. My car is a .1 with PCCB 380mm fronts, uses same rotors and pads as .2 cars.

I've yet to see cracks at the holes on mine, unlike the oem which were cracked, badly.

Stock rotors are 34mm, cup are 32mm, pfc has a 32 or 34mm.

I won't debate slotted is preferred.

Quick Reply: 997.2 rotors that work with Pagid U8004