Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The night before you get your first GT3...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 12:01 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats, welcome to the GT Silver club.

Why do you need Orange side markers? I bought my car from Ohio, and it had them, first thing I did was swap them to the clears. Is this an Ohio thing? or personal preference?
Old 02-12-2014, 12:25 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthVan
Congrats, welcome to the GT Silver club.

Why do you need Orange side markers? I bought my car from Ohio, and it had them, first thing I did was swap them to the clears. Is this an Ohio thing? or personal preference?
personal preference... love the pumpkins! first day i had TT i swapped em to orange too.

mmmm pumpkins!
Old 02-12-2014, 01:04 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats, this will be the best former car:-)
BTW... that ad says GT silver metallic…. I think they mean arctic silver metallic
Old 02-13-2014, 01:10 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Sweeper
Congrats, this will be the best former car:-)
BTW... that ad says GT silver metallic…. I think they mean arctic silver metallic
it's def artic silver metallic.. not sure why says GT silver.

Got the Car Tonight:

got a few questions/thoughts...

1: possible to recline/lower seats at all? the GT2RS i sat in once was much lower seating position, not sure why would be different..

2: quick fix for the cluster rattling?

3: noticed a weird chirping sound coming from center rear inside... i removed the carpet piece that covers ECU and such.. there are drill holes driver side on the top metal... any reason why someone would drill there... maybe had aftermarket susp once and had the remote resevouirs there? maybe an ECU chip?....
--not sure if related but there is a hole drilled in the banana under ebrake. (.25")
--also a hole drilled next to AUX in the center console (.75")

4: cars equipped w/o adaptive motor mounts i assume have very stiff motor mounts? i have a lot of vibrations thru the chassis... reminds me of my 997.2(base) when the exhaust was tightened too much.... (excessive rattles continue to the door handles, cluster, dash above cluster)

5: oil is always at 5 bar, except when coasting no throttle, will go to 4.5 or so.

6: startup on every porsche ever owned is always aggressive and sounds as if the car is getting extra throttle input... start on the GT3 is very mellow and relaxed..... not sure what would cause this.

the car is great, just added 300 miles on it.. but obviously alone in a car it's hard to figure out what is what...
Old 02-13-2014, 01:24 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,102 Posts

1. Base seats? Don't think so.
2. Sharkey pipe. I always hate tracking these down, could make it worse by pulling things out.
3. No idea.
4. No, they're pretty soft. But they do wear out. My gt is pretty rattly and shaky. part of the charm.
5. When hot and idle oil should be around 1 bar or so, at 3k should be at 5 and stay there. I think the manual describes this.
6. Start pulling mufflers off. I just started mine and was revving in the garage and pissed off the neighbors. You will usually get a quick rev then just settles and sort of rattles spits and putters until its warm then smooth.

What's the paint code? Look inside fuel filler.

Originally Posted by rijowysock

Got the Car Tonight:

1: possible to recline/lower seats at all? the GT2RS i sat in once was much lower seating position, not sure why would be different..

3: noticed a weird chirping sound coming from center rear inside... i removed the carpet piece that covers ECU and such.. there are drill holes driver side on the top metal... any reason why someone would drill there... maybe had aftermarket susp once and had the remote resevouirs there? maybe an ECU chip?....
--not sure if related but there is a hole drilled in the banana under ebrake. (.25")

4: cars equipped w/o adaptive motor mounts i assume have very stiff motor mounts? i have a lot of vibrations thru the chassis... reminds me of my 997.2(base) when the exhaust was tightened too much.... (excessive rattles continue to the door handles, cluster, dash above cluster)

5: oil is always at 5 bar, except when coasting no throttle, will go to 4.5 or so.

6: startup on every porsche ever owned is always aggressive and sounds as if the car is getting extra throttle input... start on the GT3 is very mellow and relaxed..... not sure what would cause this.

the car is great, just added 300 miles on it.. but obviously alone in a car it's hard to figure out what is what...
Old 02-13-2014, 01:35 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Spyerx
1. Base seats? Don't think so.
2. Sharkey pipe. I always hate tracking these down, could make it worse by pulling things out.
3. No idea.
4. No, they're pretty soft. But they do wear out. My gt is pretty rattly and shaky. part of the charm.
5. When hot and idle oil should be around 1 bar or so, at 3k should be at 5 and stay there. I think the manual describes this.
6. Start pulling mufflers off. I just started mine and was revving in the garage and pissed off the neighbors. You will usually get a quick rev then just settles and sort of rattles spits and putters until its warm then smooth.

What's the paint code? Look inside fuel filler.
its 100% artic silver metallic.. it's on the VIN decode and window sticker.

the seats are carbon buckets.. they just seem very high. i remember sitting in some years ago and getting lost in them.

i do however have CPO so might let the dealer hunt the rattles.. i assume most everything is normal but just me new/curious... i know the dealer always does wonders w/ rattles however.. that felt padding they have and the know how to remove stuff without causing more damage.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:23 AM
a_Y
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Rattles... I hate them but it is definitely something you will have to just accept... For the cluster rattle, I stuck a small piece of foam between the cluster top and the surround. Most of the time the rattle comes from there so you might want to give it a try
Old 02-13-2014, 06:59 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock

Got the Car Tonight:

Congrats!! My car doesn't seem to have all the rattles and holes.

Can you describe the the area the holes were drilled a little better? You said "top metal" is where the holes are drilled.. Pics perhaps!!!
Old 02-13-2014, 09:59 AM
KurtF
Rennlist Member

Bought mine past summer and already put 5k miles on it. Can't wait for the winter to end. Beautiful car, enjoy.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:02 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post some pics of the holes, specially the rear ones.

Make sure you have OEM engine mounts, transmission mount and also shifter / cables. These cars are considerably louder than turbos or regular 911 to begin with.

Enjoy it !
Old 02-13-2014, 10:29 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

vibrations, squeaks and rattles?? ...in a GT3??
Turn up the radio, roll down the windows, drive a little faster.... pick one.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:20 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Congratulations Riley Enjoy the trip and take a few pictures along the way for the rest of us.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:42 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
vibrations, squeaks and rattles?? ...in a GT3??
Turn up the radio, roll down the windows, drive a little faster.... pick one.

I enjoy raw and purist but it seems a little more than would usually be. I'm comparing it to my exige versus Carrera. I'm going to stop at a Porsche dealer on today's journey and see if I can get some stuff to help
Old 02-13-2014, 12:47 PM
kernelofwisdom
Racer

I really didn't have any rattles in mine. Will say the sharkwerks center muffler bypass was heaven.

If any issue finding orange markers hit me up I've got a pile!

Congrats!!
Old 02-13-2014, 02:49 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Congrats!

On the seats: The folding buckets are tilted. The front is up and the bottom is angled down. Takes some time to get used to them

Engine mounts: They're actually the same that come on 993 models. I can't believe Porsche still hasn't changed the mounts or upgraded them. They're very soft in my opinion. I've always had polyurethane engine mounts and did that mod to my current car. Helps with shifting gears. The engine doesn't move around as much under acceleration and deceleration so the shifts are smoother and easier, takes less toll on the transmission and gears. I'd definitely advise on this mod!

Quick Reply: The night before you get your first GT3...