Manthey's 4.4l Mezger for GT3 announced

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 02:57 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,959 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
You make good points, the NA powerband will be easier to maximize from a driving standpoint.

But the TORQUE! The GT2 will still have a massive torque advantage. I think on a tight twisty track, the NA 530 hp will win. And a track with long straights, the GT2 should win. Will be close either way though.
The torque of the GT2 is not that big an advantage when the GT3 has a 9k redline and 7 closely spaced performance gears. Particularly on a long straight - more about power.

Torque has its biggest benefits when you are in the wrong gear (too tall) or the gearbox has widely spaced ratios, or from a standing start. If you keep the GT3 on boil, there is no meaningful deficit from the lower torque.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:08 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
I will be reporting shortly on new 4.5l RS Tuning development for GT3, where will it end
Hehe never! Good stuff tho...
Old 01-24-2014, 03:16 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TB993tt
9400rpm - is that right, seems very high

Not wanting to put any negative slants on the US offerings (I like Sharky) but it is worth pointing out the development which Manthey and RS Tuning put into their engines before releasing them for street use. Lots of racing and engine dyno time, strip downs measurements etc etc. The RS Tuning 4.5l has a 6 month schedule.

As for how fast these are I was told the RS Tuning 4.3 GT3 street conversion which is 534PS @8400rpm and 517NM @ 5300rpm was "as fast" as a GT2 RS when track testing in Europe.....
Only 'cos I'm a Brit But absolutely hats off to RS/Manthey etc... as we can only do our best in that respect. We do not build race cars- just street and DE cars. We still do have hundreds off pulls, track miles, city driving and other torture tests we run etc... Plus multiple tear downs and stuff on ours since it's been in development 18 months ago (when she first fired up). It's a great way to figure out weaknesses that might occur down the road when pushing like this. We did the same thing with the 3.9 and so rather than release something just becuase and early we always seem to do so much later than being relevant but hey we prefer it that way.... Had a few GT2s here lately and yes they'd be a nice happy meal for our car. A GT2RS and then some tuning, cats and
Old 01-24-2014, 03:28 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by bmwtye
Its not a rumor, its a BEAST and it makes the 3.9 feel like a stock gt3. It also feels faster acceleration wise than a turbo in terms of putting you into the back of the seat
Hehe glad you liked it It's been fun, long and interesting road but I think I see a tunnel somewhere

Originally Posted by a_Y
Too bad that it seems as though the Manthey 4.4L and Sharkwerks 4.1 can't be done on the 3.6 motors...
It can be... just whether or not it's right for the chassis is another thing
Old 01-24-2014, 04:20 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
The torque of the GT2 is not that big an advantage when the GT3 has a 9k redline and 7 closely spaced performance gears. Particularly on a long straight - more about power.

Torque has its biggest benefits when you are in the wrong gear (too tall) or the gearbox has widely spaced ratios, or from a standing start. If you keep the GT3 on boil, there is no meaningful deficit from the lower torque.
Torque is always a big deal. The GT3 power band is narrow while a GT2 can torque it's way out of low speed turns without having to go down a gear. I use a higher gear out of low speed turns all the time for that reason. I also never use 2nd gear because it's to hard to get a clean shift from 2nd to 3rd without losing time. 7 gears is beneficial if you have a sequential. All that shifting costs time and leaves more opportunity for mistake if you have a manual. Add all of those shifts to a narrow power band only makes the shifting issue exponentially worse.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:12 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,959 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Torque is always a big deal. The GT3 power band is narrow while a GT2 can torque it's way out of low speed turns without having to go down a gear.
Yes, torque is a big deal if you are not diligent about being in the proper gear.

I've been spending a bunch of time in the 991 GT3 forum and forgot where I was when I mentioned 9k redline and 7spd close-ratio. With the PDK (I personally prefer manual), the time wasted shifting that you mentioned is a non-issue. A well driven 991 GT3 will never miss the torque of a turbo motor in the way that the driver of an older GT3 might (easy and fast to always be in the fat part of the power curve).
Old 01-24-2014, 07:48 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Yes, torque is a big deal if you are not diligent about being in the proper gear.

I've been spending a bunch of time in the 991 GT3 forum and forgot where I was when I mentioned 9k redline and 7spd close-ratio. With the PDK (I personally prefer manual), the time wasted shifting that you mentioned is a non-issue. A well driven 991 GT3 will never miss the torque of a turbo motor in the way that the driver of an older GT3 might (easy and fast to always be in the fat part of the power curve).
Agree, with PDK, but the motor in question wouldn't be going in a 991 GT3. The best direct comparison would be to the 997 GT2 with 530 hp which would also make about 125 more lb/ft than the Manthey

When it comes to manuals, you cannot always be in the proper gear. Sometimes a higher gear is faster, sometimes a lower gear is faster. When choosing a higher gear, torque is always useful. It makes gear selection much easier.

The grip level of the tires is important, torque is useless if it overpowers the grip. I think it would depend on what tires were on the car.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:01 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

But the TORQUE! The GT2 will still have a massive torque advantage. I think on a tight twisty track, the NA 530 hp will win. And a track with long straights, the GT2 should win. Will be close either way though.
Surprisingly the 4.1 has a stock 997 GT2 covered for torque to the wheels, and it's got a wider power band. Top speed in gears 2-4 is similar, and the shorter gearing allows the 4.1 to be equal to or ahead of the GT2 on thrust to the ground everywhere. It really is turbo grunt with normally aspirated response. Devastating combo. I can only imagine the 4.4 will be even more so.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:09 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

A new crank would be needed to get to 4.1 for the 3.6L engines, right?

Originally Posted by sharkster

It can be... just whether or not it's right for the chassis is another thing
Old 01-24-2014, 08:09 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Had a few GT2s here lately and yes they'd be a nice happy meal for our car. A GT2RS and then some tuning, cats and [/QUOTE]

Perhaps if you tested a GT2 from Florida with a Werks1 badge, Happy becomes UnHappy very quickly.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:57 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by cfjan
A new crank would be needed to get to 4.1 for the 3.6L engines, right?
Something like this
Old 01-24-2014, 09:07 PM
m5trol
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Show off
Old 01-24-2014, 09:12 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by m5trol
Show off
Ahh what's a billet crank between friends
Old 01-24-2014, 09:15 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Does it have similar stroke compared to the factory 4.0 RSR crank?!
Old 01-24-2014, 09:21 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by cfjan
Does it have similar stroke compared to the factory 4.0 RSR crank?!
Cat will be outta the bag in due time That crank is different and heavier:P

Quick Reply: Manthey's 4.4l Mezger for GT3 announced