Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Canada

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 12:12 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Canada

I'm asking here as there are several owners whom post here that live in Canada. Wife wants to move back to Canada. She is a Canadian resident.

What is the process to import my 3 to Canada ? Do I have to pay import tax's on it ?

Thank you!
Old 11-15-2013, 01:04 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

You pay 6.1% duty (because it is an European product being imported into canada) and 5% federal goods and serivce tax (GST).
The dollar amount they tax you on is usually based on the purchase price, however an agreed value or market value maybe used considering you already own the vehicle in the USA. You may even qualify for GST exempt because you are moving to Canada.

You will also need to register your vehicle with Registration Import Vehicles (RIV) $220.00.

Once across the border and into canada you will then need a federal inspection performed at a Canadian Tire Store and your daytime running lights programed at the dealer.

The province you wish to reside may exempt you from paying Provincial Sales Tax (PST) on registration because you are a new resident in the Province and have owned the vehicle prior to moving.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:33 AM
csmrx7
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have owned the car for more than 6 months prior to moving to Canada, and have not maintained a Canadian residence over that time period you will not have to pay GST, but you still will have to pay duty.

Quick Reply: Canada