Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 COTY and Alfa Romeo 4C

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 09:30 PM
indianam3
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 25 Posts
Default GT3 COTY and Alfa Romeo 4C

The EVO Coty validates what we already know. I believe the GT3 is the best and most practical supercar, as most of us live in areas where there are no dealers that service, sell parts, etc. If you track upgrades are few, there are very few people to go to the track with, compare notes, etc.

I have been researching the Alfa 4C. It really meets most of the requirements I respect in a Ferarri. Lets face it, nothing is as beautiful as an Italian car! The sound seems similar if not equal, and so on, and so on.

I called a Maserati dealer and a Fiat dealer. The responses were as you would expext. The Maserati dealer was helpful, informed, new the current status of the disagreement, and will follow up. Nobody at the Fiat dealership had heard of the 4C or even knew it existed. The first person didn't know what an Alpa was.

Now my question. Anybody have a deposit on one of these and if so, who did you make it with.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:52 AM
mousecatcher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to put a deposit a few months ago. At the time they were going to Fiat. My Maserati guy actually pointed me to them. The Fiat guys wouldn't take a deposit at the time.

Now that the weight is up, and after the Evo review, I'll pass. Especially for what will be the overpriced launch edition. $20k to get the carbon headlights, ich dont think so. This ain't a Ferarri ...
Old 11-08-2013, 02:31 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

What's your daily duty for both cars? 4c is for? Mike
Old 11-08-2013, 09:50 AM
indianam3
Racer

I have 2 daily drivers now. For the last 15 years, I have always kept some kind of BMW, and drove it from April through October, usually an M car. I use some kind of a Honda SUV, an older Pilot now, From November through March. The GT3 RS is for occasional track use and weekend drives. I put between 1k and 2K miles on the GT3 RS a year. This would take the place of the BMW, going to work and back from April though October. I would drive it 5K-7K miles per year. I have not read the EVO article as yet. I will do so.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:11 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,888 Likes on 973 Posts

Originally Posted by mousecatcher
Now that the weight is up, and after the Evo review, I'll pass....
Originally Posted by indianam3
I have not read the EVO article as yet. I will do so.
I'll take Chris Harris' opinion on a car over Bovington's any day of the week. Do yourself a favor and watch the video.

I think the 4C is a great initial effort and they get major kudos in my book for the commitment to light weight. There will almost certainly be more variants that address what are for the most part minor issues. Of course this assumes Alfa (Fiat) can overcome their suicidal tendencies on the org and marketing fronts…

Old 11-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Plastique999
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nizer

I'll take Chris Harris' opinion on a car over Bovington's any day of the week. Do yourself a favor and watch the video.

I think the 4C is a great initial effort and they get major kudos in my book for the commitment to light weight. There will almost certainly be more variants that address what are for the most part minor issues. Of course this assumes Alfa (Fiat) can overcome their suicidal tendencies on the org and marketing fronts…

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnuNv77rB0Q">YouTube Link</a>
I'm eyeing the 4C as well....problem is in the US it will weigh closer to 2500 lbs. ugh.
Other problem, unfortunately is no manual.
If they could get their act together and get this car out here though, I'd still be interested.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:48 AM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 56 Posts

The 4C seems to be the "21st Century 246 Dino". I like what I'm seeing, definitely cooler than a Cayman IMO.

I believe they will sell well here if the price point stays reasonable and the dealer network is competent.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:28 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,110 Likes on 2,878 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
I've watched both and it was clear to me that Chris was also not impressed with the manual steering (could see that through his obvious excitement about the prospect of the car generally). It's a shame, since it's pretty hard to screw that up
Old 911's and Lotus Elise/Exige are awesome in that respect.

This one too:

"A lack of on-centre feel from its unassisted steering is the 4C’s main area of weakness."

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...and_specs.html
Old 11-08-2013, 04:51 PM
indianam3
Racer

This is speculation, but many may view this as a possible purchase for any of the following reasons (all of which are mine)

1) Some of us are very old
2) Up to this point, all my auto purchases have been very fact based, data driven, lots of excel docs, experiences
3) Life in my remaining years is more about the emotional experience, (or really needs to be) and less about the facts
4) I greatly desire to have as many varied experiences as possible now
5) Always wanted an Italian car, never owned one
6) Usually sell/trade in 2-3 years
7) If I am not fond of it sooner, at least I can speak about the experience and understand it
8) Predicted to be produced in small numbers, depreciation will not be great
9) Initial price point is good
10) If it doesn't work out, what is lost?

Nothing
Old 11-08-2013, 05:01 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

Modern cars at 2500 lbs seems lite to me. How much a boxster/cayman weigh? So with manual steering rack with 4c- lack of power steering at least for me has better feedback(with prior cars I've had non assisted steering great feedback on track) vs PS. What's wrong with the manual steering rack on the 4c other than parking and getting in out of paddock? Mike
Old 11-08-2013, 06:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I was #2 on the list at the largest local Fiat dealer and they felt confident they would be selling the car but that appears either to be wrong or at the very least in jeopardy. I was very excited about this car simply because the only vehicle I truly regret selling is my Elise. I was hoping for a similar experience but with more outright speed. Since the initial launch and the non existent communication, dealer network, US specs, etc what has finally come to light I think has proved its undoing. All of the reviews so far have been of launch spec (or close to it) ROW cars. The final wet weight of the US version with AC, radio, 4 additional airbags, and additional structural steel required to pass the crash test will reportedly be about 2,650 lbs. I'm sure it will still be a good car but adding a passenger to my Elise was very noticeable, having this much extra weight will certainly erode the driving experience to the point that it no longer makes sense to put up with the quirks imo. It's kind of like the E36 M3. Europe and ROW got a potent machine, US got a turd.... I decided not to wait and ordered a 991S which should be here in January.

Last edited by 008; 11-08-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:55 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,888 Likes on 973 Posts

Yup, the added weight for the US model is a bummer if gains that much and isn't offset.

Re: steering, I wonder how many years it's been since Harris and Bovington last drove a non-power assisted steering street car? Not saying that's the only issue but could be a contributing factor for it getting called out.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:44 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 008
I was very excited about this car simply because the only vehicle I truly regret selling is my Elise. I was hoping for a similar experience but with more outright speed. The final wet weight of the US version with AC, radio, 4 additional airbags, and additional structural steel required to pass the crash test will reportedly be about 2,650 lbs. It's kind of like the E36 M3. Europe and ROW got a potent machine, US got a turd....
Not really like the E36 M3 - BMW chose to keep cost down by using a non-M engine. Fiat/Alfa built a lightweight car that required additional weight to pass 2014 US crash tests (which the Elise/Exige would have no hope of passing).

I give them credit for making the effort, although it would have been nice if they bumped up the power a bit to compensate (as they did with the US-spec Abarth). Maybe it is a possibility they still will?

The 4C has been on my radar as well, but I recently scratched the mid-engined Italian itch with something else.

Quick Reply: GT3 COTY and Alfa Romeo 4C