Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.1 GT3 -Is this a faulty PSE solenoid/changeover valve issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 02:37 AM
DLJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 997.1 GT3 -Is this a faulty PSE solenoid/changeover valve issue?

Had a faulty exhaust actuator replaced recently. My tech shop is several hours drive from my home and I had to get back home immediately ( snow pending on a mile-high pass which would not be the best scenario in a gt3...). When I picked it up from the shop I noted that activating the sport button didn't seem to change the exhaust note, even at higher rpms, so obviously the actuators are stuck in the closed position. Called the shop and they said all was in working order a couple days before, when the actuator was replaced. Hmmm?
When I got home I had a chance to check into this. I fiddled with the actuators and lubed them up with WD40 and still no change. Unplugging the electrical connection on the solenoid/changeover valve didn't make any change. However, unplugging the vacuum lines at each actuator opened them up. Definitely vacuum going to each actuator. Leads me to believe it's the solenoid/changeover valve, not releasing vacuum (through the metal vent tube on the bottom of it)when the sport button is depressed. But before ordering any part, I'd like to canvas the board here for thoughts on this. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:09 AM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

I would say that the solenoid is stuck in the open position, no matter if there is +12V on it or not.
That means that the vacuum is keeping the left and right exhaust valves closed all the time.

The fact that the exhaust goes to "loud" when you pull the vacuum line, means that the valves in the exhaust are working correctly.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:59 AM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 74 Posts

Hmmm funny I seem to have the same issue with mine as well. When I press the Sport button I don't hear any change in the exhaust sound.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:15 PM
DLJ
Racer

Thanks for the reply Gert. I agree with that.

Inrev: The actuators and the solenoid (I think to a lesser extent) are known issues. The actuators can be prone to damage due to the low ride height of the car (of course anyone who drives them finds out about this soon enough). Mine was loud all of the time when I bought it and previous owner also thought it was odd that activating the sport button made no change in the exhaust note. (He didn't really care as it sounds pretty good!) Turns out on PPI that one actuator was faulty, which was repaired. Within a couple of weeks after purchase the other one went. (Not so bad that it's making that nice noise, but sometimes on a long road trip (like recent 2000 mile excursion) I find at times I want it toned down for periods of time. Now looks like the solenoid is faulty.

Anyone know the part number for this?
Old 10-22-2013, 05:26 PM
Steve W
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 40 Posts

Likely the vacuum solenoid has become stuck or sticky and is not releasing the vacuum from the exhaust actuators. I've had two go bad on me already. You can buy the $200 part from the dealer, or get the exact same part without the Porsche stamp for $25 from here:

http://rothengine.com/078906283AN249...noidValve.aspx

I believe the reason these valves get stuck is because of dirt that gets sucked in every time the solenoid opens up as air gets sucked in to the vacuum exhaust actuators. The suction port is the chrome nipple at the bottom and is unfiltered and open to the engine compartment. In a dirty or dusty driving environment (ie at the track) there's lots of dirt and silt that passes through this port every time the flaps open/close. I recommend adding a small $3 fuel filter on a vacuum hose to this port to filter out all incoming and outgoing air to act as an air filter for the solenoid and exhaust actuators, or add a nipple to the backside of your airfilter airbox and letting it draw clean air from there instead.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:18 PM
DLJ
Racer

Great info Steve.
Confirms my thoughts that the solenoid is indeed the culprit, and I agree it's probably a dirt contamination issue. Thanks for the lead on the replacement part option - and the filter idea too!
Yet another item where you wonder why they didn't engineer something as simple as filtration for that port when they built them.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:35 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

good info here, mine is stuck closed on my 997.2 but luckily under warranty.. hopefully they have the part in stock... cant wait for it to sound healthy and loud again.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:03 PM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 997.2 GT3 RS sport mode intermittent failure

Hello

I am having an intermittent issue wherein pressing the sport mode button does not seem to change the sound of the exhaust. Can these valve actuator issues begin as an intermittent failure or do they just fail completely/acutely?

Quick Reply: 997.1 GT3 -Is this a faulty PSE solenoid/changeover valve issue?