Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Lithium Ion Battery - Tips

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 09:46 AM
TKEES
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok. Thank you everyone for your input. I went and purchased the standard lead acid battery from the dealership and installed it in the car last night, no problems. I'll keep it on the Porsche battery maintainer over the winter months with the doors locked, and hood popped. So the big question is, I'll have the lithium ion battery sitting on the side for the season, what is the best way to charge it? Constantly on charge for the entire season?? Or would the circuitry built in protect it as per the Porsche press release?? "The lightweight battery is made up of four cells and integrated electronic controls. This battery management system protects the battery from major discharges and guarantees a consistent charge level within the individual cells. Once battery voltage drops below a certain threshold, a warning signal reminds the driver to re-charge the battery either simply by driving the car or by means of a conventional battery charger. "
Old 10-22-2013, 02:19 PM
cbweaver1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Well done, exactly as posted . If you put your Li-Ion battery away fully charged it should be fine when you reinstall it next season.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:10 AM
Polesitter
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my 4.0 with a lithium battery, but the car came with the standard lead battery and the lithium came as a separate accessory in the trunk. Anyway, I waited until the lead battery died of natural causes and installed the lithium after it sat for over a year. It was well charged and had no problems. Meanwhile, my dealer could not tell me whether the Porsche OEM trickle charger was a viable recharging/maintenance option for the lithium battery. So, I simply pull the terminals off of the posts when I know the car will sit for a few weeks and leave the hood cracked open.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:54 PM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 65 Posts

To clarify one point on opening a closed hood when a battery is disconnected. If for some reason your hood closes when the battery is disconnected (eg., you are taking out the airbags and like an idiot you close the hood after disconnecting the battery ) Send power to the terminal at the fuse box and use the key to open the hood.

Quick Reply: Lithium Ion Battery - Tips