Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

No front central jacking point! :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 05:36 PM
AEsco48
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default No front central jacking point! :(

How do you guys get the car up high to work underneath with ample space? (Without a lift)

With the M3 I would put the front up on jack stands by lifting from the rear sides. Then jack up the rear of the car as high as possible from the rear central point (For the GT3, suspension structure forward of the engine, right?). Then jack up the front nice and high from the front central jacking point....

With out a front central jacking point on the GT3 you are really limited on how high you can go!!!

Am I missing something? Is there a place I can jack from that underneath the plastic paneling?
Old 10-17-2013, 06:12 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Jackpoint jack stands ftw! Actually if you jack on the rear or front you may find the car lift enough on the other side. Very stiff chassis and I get 2 wheels off the ground when jacking from any jack point.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:16 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

Easy

Jack from rear jackpoint - place stands on rear subframe and front jack point
Repeat other side
Done
Old 10-17-2013, 07:17 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Jackpoint jack stands ftw! Actually if you jack on the rear or front you may find the car lift enough on the other side. Very stiff chassis and I get 2 wheels off the ground when jacking from any jack point.
Oh yeah, what he said. Car will lift enough in front when jacked from rear
Old 10-17-2013, 07:49 PM
AEsco48
Pro

Jackpoint stands are really nice... But too low at 12" max if you want to work under the car...

Last edited by AEsco48; 10-17-2013 at 08:10 PM. Reason: low*
Old 10-17-2013, 08:10 PM
AEsco48
Pro

Originally Posted by drl
Easy

Jack from rear jackpoint - place stands on rear subframe and front jack point
Repeat other side
Done
Ok, yes this gets you 4 jack stands under the jacking points (same can be done using the rear central jack point). You can then use the rear central to get the rear as high as possible.... Now you cant get the front any higher with out a front central point....

Can you put two stands on the rear subframe? Would this be stable enough keep the car level with one stands on a front point and the two stands on the rear sub frame.

If so.... You could start on the ground, jack up one side as high as possible and put on the pass side a stand at the front and a stand at the rear pass side sub frame. You go to the other side and jack up as high as possible from the rear driver side point and put another stand on the rear sub frame. Can you then lower the jack (front driver side point not be supported.) then go to the drivers side front point and jack the front up as high as possible, raise the pass side front point. Then lift from the rear drivers side point high enough to get the front left point level with the pass front point.... I dont know if the car will be stable like that (two rear sub frame stands and the jack lifting the whole front) and you can get the car level.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:39 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,639 Likes on 2,319 Posts

these car are very diff than bimmers
there is no central jacking pt front or rear (though you can consider the engine case halves to the rear central). the proper way to jack up 911 is as DRL describe, this is now all pro mechanics do it for decades. you can cheap and put stand under two front jack pads and two rear subframe (4 jack stands) but when you get under car, the rear stands are very clsoe together, you have less space to move. and if you try to dump oil out of oil case....... you oil catch pan will interfere with the jack stand legs, if it does'nt then your pan is most likely too small and oil is over flow.

finally there are only types of jack stand i would use when i get myself under the car.

AC hydralic and there's another set that very large and marketed here on RL ( i cant recall it name at the moment ) some one will chime in.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:16 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty

finally there are only types of jack stand i would use when i get myself under the car.

AC hydralic and there's another set that very large and marketed here on RL ( i cant recall it name at the moment ) some one will chime in.
Pretty sure you mean jack point stands. They are big. They work well very sturdy like ac.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:52 PM
AEsco48
Pro

I am not saying its wrong, just that with out a central front jack point you cant get the front up extra high in two stages.

Guess I will have to buy a jack that goes super high from the start...

these car are very diff than bimmers
there is no central jacking pt front or rear (though you can consider the engine case halves to the rear central). the proper way to jack up 911 is as DRL describe, this is now all pro mechanics do it for decades. you can cheap and put stand under two front jack pads and two rear subframe (4 jack stands) but when you get under car, the rear stands are very clsoe together, you have less space to move. and if you try to dump oil out of oil case....... you oil catch pan will interfere with the jack stand legs, if it does'nt then your pan is most likely too small and oil is over flow.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:13 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,639 Likes on 2,319 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Pretty sure you mean jack point stands. They are big. They work well very sturdy like ac.
thank you. my brain is going...

Originally Posted by AEsco48
I am not saying its wrong, just that with out a central front jack point you cant get the front up extra high in two stages.

Guess I will have to buy a jack that goes super high from the start...
there are only few jacks i would use on these cars. they tend to slip off a lot of cheap jacks. i like AC hydraulic or another EXTREMELEY $$$ alum jack holzb.... something. it's $1000 each or there about. someone here will know the name. hard to pronounce.

you will unlearn all things you know about BMW. porsche is totally *** backwards compared to bmws. but once you get it, you will look at bmw and wonder wtf were you driving before. i had no less than 10 m3 of every generation. they are all garbage, e30m3 is acceptable, but nevertheless it's not a porsche. you will figure it out soon enough.

THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:01 PM
AEsco48
Pro

Agreed that there are some jack better then others in terms of build quality thus how long they last.... Have never seen an AC in person. Certainly a lot of hype around them need to research more about them.... Now I am interested, what's the other brand? I just want a good jack that has a low profile, far reach and lifts nice and high!

I agree that the method described is the best method, but at the end of the day without a central jacking point up front you cant get the front higher than the initial side jack lift.... Does not matter if its a Ford, Porsche, or McLaren... If you are working under the car its nice to have more space!
Old 10-21-2013, 11:01 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

i had no less than 10 m3 of every generation. they are all garbage, .
ridiculous statement.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:37 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 10-21-2013, 11:37 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

there are only few jacks i would use on these cars. they tend to slip off a lot of cheap jacks. i like AC hydraulic or another EXTREMELEY $$$ alum jack holzb.... something. it's $1000 each or there about. someone here will know the name. hard to pronounce.

you will unlearn all things you know about BMW. porsche is totally *** backwards compared to bmws. but once you get it, you will look at bmw and wonder wtf were you driving before. i had no less than 10 m3 of every generation. they are all garbage, e30m3 is acceptable, but nevertheless it's not a porsche. you will figure it out soon enough.

THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE.
had a 1995 M3 thought it was a great car.... went to get a 2004 M3 and the dealer wanted MSRP plus $7000. told him I would pay MSRP. They did not budge. Next day came back in my 2004 c2 11 months later the 996GT3. Boy am I glad Bellevue BMW were such dicks as I might still not know what I was missing. For one thing real brakes.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:41 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Jacks - buy quality buy once

For a $$$ track jack:
http://www.brunnhoelzl.com/low_profile_jacks.html

For a regular $ track jack:
http://www.otctools.com/products/2_t...um_racing_jack

For home use - AC hydraulic jack is ideal
Can be difficult to source but I found the Canadian importer to be a reliable source
Jack: http://www.ac-hydraulic.dk/en/produc...jacks/dk13hlq/

Canadian importer:
http://www.flemaproducts.com

Jack stands - guys love the jack point jack stands - they do not work with AC hydraulic jack in my experience - excellent product with the correct jack

A flat top "traditional" jack stand is nice and esco brand is widely used and available
http://www.esco.net/tire-changing-eq...&cat=26&page=1

Track jack + jack point jack stands + left in trailer = awesome

AC hydraulic jack + esco flat top jack stands + left in garage = awesome

Class dismissed

Quick Reply: No front central jacking point! :(