New breathing pipes

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 12:52 AM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Ur20v
Good on you Juan.
Thank you my friend. Several times a year I fall into a pit of guilt on the anniversary of the brutality that men can wage on each other. They are tattooed on my soul.
God will never forgive me.

Now allow me to say:

Texas RS, good for you getting the M&M system. They are the best over all the other frauds.
The guys at Champion Motorsport fabricated their own center section design.
We dyno tested and the 90mm pipes do seem to need some back pressure.
Champion fabricated a design that relieved and corrected the need for back pressure in a totally nonvisible manner.
This yielded on average 15 to 20 whp on the dyno.
Only two members here have seen what they did but Champion Motorsport asked me NOT to display images of what they did.
They do not want the other frauds to copy. I will honor this.
Great design and engine. It's much better than I am as a driver.
As I've stated. This engine/car is like a delicious 25 y/o woman that I (an old man) can appreciate but doesn't mean I can get the best out of her.

Okay enough from me.
I love this forum (great members) but feel I do not belong.

Ranger (six silent men)
Old 10-17-2013, 05:29 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Juan,

You do belong, we [the members] sometimes bump heads but that's the same in real life but we all love you and your character, keeps us on our toes and is of humour (normally lol).

We know you throw yourself hollow heartedly at good service and products and defend the companies and your friends with all your being.

It would be a dull place with out you and your gorgeous pumpkin, I for one look to you and what you do to your cars as a case of what you can do with the passion and wherewithal to live your dreams.

And, we thank you for you have done for your country and the world at large and apologies for making you do things out of need that leave such a distaste.

Your friend
James
Old 10-17-2013, 07:28 AM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Ranger,

I do like the M&M system. I might consider running the car with the current setup, but I do have neighbors and I do occasionally drive the car on the street. My right foot and seat side indicator tells me I am giving up a little low end torque with my temporary system, but I certainly got it back in looks as I drove it across town in rush hour traffic. They seems to particularly like the heel-toe downshifts:evil grin:
Old 10-17-2013, 07:11 PM
modoz61
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Juan

+1 on Jay's comment

There are many of us who get to live vicariously through your generous spending on that lovely 25 yr old women of yours.... hang on..... pumpkin!

Opinions developed through experience count for much in my world and experience matters

with respect to the "old man" comment your light burns bright and shows a path for us to follow

w.r.t. driving skills and getting the most out of your toy, isn't that the point? nudge the bar up a little, work a little harder, nudge the bar up a little......

Mind you, your nudging is kind of like an offensive linesman on a defensive safety (American Football positions for those of other nations) you took the bar and threw it up for the first step and keep throwing it with every little addition

Keep up the good work and kudos to you and Champion
Old 10-19-2013, 12:57 AM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

You guys are great. Need to share with the brotherhood.
Okay here goes.
After much testing and design manipulation with the new center section the sound was beyond awesome but there was mid-range power & torque loss.
Top end was good (15 to 18 rwhp gain).
So what to do about the need for some back pressure but keeping it invisible and stealth?
Pics are better than words.
The 90 mm pipes had the lumen "funneled" to increase back pressure.
IMO and awesome idea ... oh and it works.
All fabricated in-house by the my engine builder at Champion Motorsport

Name:  exhaust 3.PNG
Views: 279
Size:  1.30 MB

Name:  exhaust 2.PNG
Views: 228
Size:  1.37 MB

Name:  exhaust 1.PNG
Views: 232
Size:  1.14 MB

Name:  exhaust 4.JPG
Views: 229
Size:  108.3 KB

From the outside it's just a straight pipe.
This brought back the mid-range to prior levels but gaining the top end.

btw Eddie thank you for your text today brother.

Ranger
Old 10-19-2013, 01:16 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Often times the best solutions are the simplest
Nicely done
Old 10-19-2013, 01:40 AM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice work, and the board wouldn't be the same without you!
Old 10-19-2013, 01:44 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Hi Juan,

I wonder if its back pressure thats causing the pick up in torque from adding the 'restricter' or it scavenging effect of the increase in gas velocity and this is in fact a venturi?

One way to tell would be to brazes a brake pipe fitting pre and post 'restricter' and then fit a length of brake pipe coiled (reduces exhaust temp to protect the gauge) then use a pressure gauge that reads positive and negative. Run car on dyno- Would have been nice to run a base line pre mod if Champion have a 'development' piece lying round.

Back pressure nearly always has a negative effect- poor cylinder filling and mixture contamination with spent exhaust gas plus raised combustion temps which pulls timing etc. Scavenging is your friend and only negative that may be seen is fuel economy.

Either way great work.

Jay.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:32 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

I love how deep Juan digs into hot rodding the GT3. Super technical. Real gear heads can appreciate it.

The R&D that he has done with Champion on the GT3 will be the bible used for my RS refresh.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:24 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

^^^ This!
Old 10-19-2013, 01:25 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Juan, thanks for sharing all your well done mods on your car. Super cool! If they let means my Carrera GTS "wanna be" on the forum you definitely deserve to be hear.

I've never understood the people that say " I have neighbors" when it comes to a Porsche exhaust. I live in a nice neighborhood on a saltwater canal with neighbors who have custom motorcycles...loud...custom boats...loud and spoiled kids with car audio systems to rival concerts. I have a M&M system on my GTS, it's loud but sounds great and never an issue with any neighbors.

Hope to see you at Sebring someday.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:59 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

RS Ranger,

At the track this weekend. I have validated the need for some back pressure, the temporary fix left me lacking for low to mid range torque and down on high end hp. The car flattens out above 7500 rpm. Actually had to have the Carrera as' lift on the long straights to be able to finish a pass that before I would have motored on by. Still could run them Dow in the twisty parts. Can't wait for the M&M center to be reinstalled. Did manage a new personal best, but know there is more to get in the straight and through the corners.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:03 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Update....
I had the opportunity to put the car on the dyno yesterday, the results were even worse than butt dyno had suggested. Peak rwhp was 371 at 7000 rpm and torque maxed at an anemic 200lb-ft. I am still waiting for the center section to get back from Germany. I will put it back on the dyno once I get the center section back in.

Quick Reply: New breathing pipes