Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 seat belt question

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 01:06 PM
z8virginia
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 seat belt question

I am new to the forum and have just purchased a 2010GT3. I hope to use it both on the track and street.

I am looking for some advice on seatbelts and how I can easily switch from 6 point harnesses to stock. The car has sport bucket seats and came with the 6 point harnesses installed.

Can anyone tell me if the bottom of the stock seatbelt is in the correct location (it is attached to the bottom of the rollcage)? Looking through other threads I have seen it attached to the seat. Is there any easy way to remove the lap and submarine belts without removing the seat from the car?

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Carter
Attached Images     
Old 09-28-2013, 01:47 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Your racing harness appears to be installed correctly (judging by a quick glance at the pics). No way to quickly/easily take them out. Try driving it on the street with them instead of the 3 point belt. You might find you like it better.

Personally, on the street I used the 3 point. I just leave the crotch belt in place, lying forward on the seat between my legs. Never any bother, really. Pull the shoulder straps back thru the holes in the seat, so they lay off the bar in back. The lap belts can either sit in the seat, or flop over the sides.

Enjoy the car!
Old 09-28-2013, 01:50 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

the red lap belts are attached to the seat as they should, and the crotch belt appears to be attached to a subbar under the seat...

when not in use i poke my crotch belt back down through the hole in the seat.
the lap belts can be simply hidden under the seat foam which is attached by velcro.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:12 PM
chardonet
Racer

^ Above. If you do track, keep them in place. If you find that it is too hard to remove the bottom cushion (due to Velcro) use a piece of cloth (with slit cut) to cover some of the Velcro pieces between the seat tub and cushion. This will make access to crotch belt easier if you decide to go this route.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:26 AM
karmx7
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

This is probably common knowledge but it is very easy to remove the rotary buckle on the Schroth harnesses fixed to the sub belt. There's a hole in the front of the buckle that you can use to release it from the sub belt, it's then just a matter of storing the sub belt under the seat cushion (without the buckle). I thread the shoulder belts back behind the seat and fix them all with the buckle when not in use, it probably takes less the a couple minutes.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:24 PM
z8virginia
Track Day

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the help. I didn't know about the Velcro or the hole in the front of the rotary buckle. I have poked a variety of things into the hole, but can't get it to release. Is there a trick to it?

It does look to me like I need to move the bottom attachment point for the stock belts to the seat. Can anyone confirm that is the stock placement? Does anyone know the torque spec for that bolt?

Thanks much
Old 09-29-2013, 02:41 PM
karmx7
Rennlist Member

Watch this youtube video from Schroth, it explains how to remove the turn buckle;

Keith
Old 09-29-2013, 03:34 PM
z8virginia
Track Day

Thanks, Keith. just what I needed to see. I wasn't applying enough force. They're out now.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:37 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

removed
Old 09-30-2013, 01:35 AM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z8virginia
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the help. I didn't know about the Velcro or the hole in the front of the rotary buckle. I have poked a variety of things into the hole, but can't get it to release. Is there a trick to it?

It does look to me like I need to move the bottom attachment point for the stock belts to the seat. Can anyone confirm that is the stock placement? Does anyone know the torque spec for that bolt?

Thanks much
My stock belt is attached to the seat. I'm the second owner of the car so unfortunately I can't confirm if it came this way from the factory.
Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2013, 02:03 AM
karmx7
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by z8virginia
Thanks, Keith. just what I needed to see. I wasn't applying enough force. They're out now.
No problem Carter, it makes life a lot easier when you know some of these little tricks. Congratulations on your new toy and enjoy tracking it!
Old 09-30-2013, 04:05 PM
chardonet
Racer

I had my RSR roll bar installed at GMG. When the OEM seat belt was remounted, it was put back in the original mounting point on the floor. The bar provides for this. The Schroth GT-3 Profi was mounted on the seat, not both. We may need input from others that have done this for proper mounting technique.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:30 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found this picture of a Boxster Spyder with Sport Bucket seats. The belt looks to be anchored to the seat. Perhaps someone who ordered their car with Sport Buckets can post a pic of the belt installation.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: GT3 seat belt question