Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

WTB: GT3 RS 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 07:36 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,782 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by martijnvan
So why is the White one still available for 250k if market is really at 300k?
That much 'discount' due to accident?
The seller posted his phone # on page 2 of the the thread. He's asking 240 and describes the situation. He also posted what looks like the work order for the repair at around 2k plus the car faxes etc. I'm sure with a little leg work some more details can be found.

If you're looking for a bubble wrap car this isn't the one, but may be a great car to drive and enjoy.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:36 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

some of us have several 4.0
if u feel 240-250 is the mkt then u found the white car. go for it.

of course next month it could be 200 or 400. no one knows but at the moment it's 300. and that's the low end of the spectrum
Old 09-24-2013, 08:59 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mooty has best spec white 4.0 in the country
(Some affiliation - one of his premiere customers)
Old 09-24-2013, 09:26 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,985 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
The seller posted his phone # on page 2 of the the thread. He's asking 240 and describes the situation. He also posted what looks like the work order for the repair at around 2k plus the car faxes etc. I'm sure with a little leg work some more details can be found.

If you're looking for a bubble wrap car this isn't the one, but may be a great car to drive and enjoy.
I'm not gonna lie, I'm very tempted to buy that white 4.0 for $240k. I like to drive my cars but bubble wrap and have them sit and collect dust. Decisions, decisions....
Old 09-24-2013, 09:36 PM
secretcollector
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

996FLT6 - I thought about it all day. You bring me the girl in your avatar and I'll give you a 4.0 in any color you want, even up!

OP, the guy selling the so-called White Unicorn here is a very straight shooter and will give you the whole story if you ask him. You are trying to compare a high mileage, accident car to near delivery mileage, high option and/or PTS cars. Just can't be done.

My advice, and I think others here will concur, is to decide how much you want to spend on a 4.0, then buy the best available at that price. Trust me and us, you simply aren't going to catch anyone sleeping who owns one, the market is way too mature now for that.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:26 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I'm not gonna lie, I'm very tempted to buy that white 4.0 for $240k. I like to drive my cars but bubble wrap and have them sit and collect dust. Decisions, decisions....
go fir it
next trip up complimentary towing for ur new 4.0 to LS!
Old 09-24-2013, 11:56 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Smile

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
wanna go halves?
Old 09-25-2013, 02:10 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,985 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
wanna go halves?
I'll give you Mon-Thursday custody if you give me Fri-Sun custody.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:49 AM
m5trol
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, I gotta admit I read the market incorrectly (I guess you could say I was sleeping) since I offered mine for just 275K (again!!). My problem is that the way market and real estate are doing right now, this 300K could be making over 50K/year (forever, compounded). So even if the 4.0 is at 400 in 6 months, it would struggle to beat a passive investment in the market (or semi active one in realestate). The only reason to keep one is passion.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:00 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by m5trol
Wow, I gotta admit I read the market incorrectly (I guess you could say I was sleeping) since I offered mine for just 275K (again!!). My problem is that the way market and real estate are doing right now, this 300K could be making over 50K/year (forever, compounded). So even if the 4.0 is at 400 in 6 months, it would struggle to beat a passive investment in the market (or semi active one in realestate). The only reason to keep one is passion.
You'll be dead one day. Enjoy the car!
Old 09-26-2013, 03:46 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

I've been studying the repair invoice and PPI report. I was an automobile claims manager for a major insurance carrier for a couple of decades, so I was interested in how "major" the damage to this 4.0 was. I'm also not in the market for a 4.0...as much as I'd love to have one in the garage, these things are way outside my pay grade.

Anyway, my observations:

The repair invoice and the PPI report have been redacted quite a bit. It does not even include the identity of the shop. Why? And the PPI is pretty much useless, as what appears to have been the narrative regarding the nature of the prior damage has been redacted.

The repair invoice is not an itemized estimate of repairs. It appears that this work was outsourced to a body shop, who probably wrote an itemized estimate of repairs.

With that said, the repair cost indicates that the damage was relatively minimal. I would wager that there are brand new Porsches come off the boat with more damage than this and are repaired without the buyer's knowledge. This does happen, regardless of whatever laws may be in place.

The total invoice is $2354.18 of which $773 is for "decorative film" which I assume is the clear anti-chip stuff. And $635.56 was for painting labor and materials.

This tells me that the damage was pretty minor and unless I was a lot more OCD than I already am, if I was in the market for a 4.0, at the $240K price point, I would definitely give this one a look-see. If the repair was top-notch (indistinguishable), it wouldn't bother me at all, especially considering that this one is priced $60K below the market. And I am VERY OCD when it comes to my cars.

Just my $ .02
Old 09-26-2013, 04:39 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

I wonder how 2k in minor damages got an car fax. My M3 got rearended in LA, 6k in body work, bent passé get door...5 weeks in shop, no carfax.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:38 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by drl
I wonder how 2k in minor damages got an car fax. My M3 got rearended in LA, 6k in body work, bent passé get door...5 weeks in shop, no carfax.
These days the majority (but not all) of body shop collision repair estimates are written on computer-based systems such as ADP, Audatex or Mitchell. I'm not sure if all of them participate with Carfax (and/or AutoCheck) and on what level, but that's where Carfax gets the information. Carfax also obtains info from state DMV's regarding registration and emission testing dates.

If a body shop writes a paper estimate, or does work "off book", Carfax will not get a notice of accident damage. That's one reason why Carfax isn't 100% accurate regarding a vehicle's damage history. It is also possible that if the customer pays for the damage instead of letting the insurance carrier handle it, it may not show up on Carfax. I'm pretty sure that most of the hits that get to Carfax are via an insurance carrier but I'm not certain about that.

The other problem with Carfax is that any level of damage, even if the damage is a very minor scrape on a bumper, might show up in the vehicle's Carfax damage history if the estimate was written on one of the computer-based systems that is affiliated with Carfax.

So, while Carfax can be a useful tool, it is not a substitute for a close personal inspection by an educated buyer or by an independent expert who knows what to look for. And just because there is a hit on Carfax for collision damage, it shouldn't necessarily be a deal-breaker if the seller can back up the claim of "minor damage" with the appropriate documentation.

Last edited by jackb911; 09-26-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:32 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

My guess is because it was done through the dealer (even is sublet, even if paid with cash). Most porsche dealers seem to participate with Carfax as when I was buying my last 2, the service histories I got from various dealers matched carfax.

I've had a few cars get insurance paid repairs for various accidents, some minor, some less minor (none my fault) and none of those appeared in carfax. So in my opinion carfax is pretty useless for accident history.

Your point on 'off the boat' repairs is an interesting one. I'm not sure what the real "law" is in CA, but we bought a mini cooper, ordered it, it arrives at the dealer. Dealer calls me to come look at the car, can't find the car anywhere. Turns out, it's being rolled off the truck, a chain dropped and smacked the roof, putting a couple k of damage in it. It was at the body shop (he didn't know, he just had invoice that it arrived). Had a pretty honest sales guy let me know this, I declined the car, and they ordered another one. He said this happens reasonably frequently and there is no obligation to report the repair prior to sale.

Originally Posted by jackb911
These days the majority (but not all) of body shop collision repair estimates are written on computer-based systems such as ADP, Audatex or Mitchell. I'm not sure if all of them participate with Carfax (and/or AutoCheck) and on what level, but that's where Carfax gets the information. Carfax also obtains info from state DMV's regarding registration and emission testing dates.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:36 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 69 Posts

Anyone know details on the Ebay car ?

$185.1k with 2 days to go.....

Bill

Quick Reply: WTB: GT3 RS 4.0