Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, but a little short of this driver's weight
Old 09-07-2013, 04:49 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

That was cheaper than a whole new suspension assembly!
Old 09-07-2013, 09:09 PM
scss98
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Car is less than 3000 lbs which is pretty darn great! And almost perfect 40/60 weight distribution front and rear. The cross totals are right on. Shop did great job. The car should handle great now. Post your comments after you do some hot laps. Good luck!
Old 09-08-2013, 01:48 AM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

All,

I appreciate all of the insight and advice offered by the RL community. I'll post comments next weekend following track days.

Jacy,

Agreed, the dealership is expecting a visit from me next week.....
Old 09-10-2013, 06:42 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Update....

I was able to turn a few laps on street tires at MSR Houston yesterday, while the track was very green and I was on street tires the car handled beautifully and turned in better than I can remember on street tires.

The next test is this weekend, when I get to put on new Hoosiers and give it the full treatment at TWS.

Update to follow.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:29 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

looks much better

i personally would slightly reduce your rear camber as I think you will find that you can get better tire wear without any loss of on-track performance

others, including myself, have reduced the rake - you're in the factory range - some like less rake (dropping the rear) for more rear grip - just something to remember as you explore the car and think about making it 'better' for you - all depends on what you like

i personally would go back to the dealer with my printout, tell them the car now drives perfectly, and demand a refund for the alignment that they charged you for

i would also talk to the manager and bring him up to speed about what was done by the in house mechanics and what was done at the race shop to fix things - if they are good at their job, i'm sure they would appreciate the feedback, possibly even the shops name so they could recomend them to other track focused clients if they can't in the future do it properly

there really is no reason why a dealer can't keep notes in house as to what is a good setup on a gt3 that tracks and tell customers that they have a track setup which they charge x$ for it - the car will be corner balanced, with proper camber and caster with shims and bars adjusted and the car works very well on the track - certain clients that are just beginning would love this is my bet
Old 09-11-2013, 05:42 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
looks much better

i personally would slightly reduce your rear camber as I think you will find that you can get better tire wear without any loss of on-track performance

others, including myself, have reduced the rake - you're in the factory range - some like less rake (dropping the rear) for more rear grip - just something to remember as you explore the car and think about making it 'better' for you - all depends on what you like

i personally would go back to the dealer with my printout, tell them the car now drives perfectly, and demand a refund for the alignment that they charged you for

i would also talk to the manager and bring him up to speed about what was done by the in house mechanics and what was done at the race shop to fix things - if they are good at their job, i'm sure they would appreciate the feedback, possibly even the shops name so they could recomend them to other track focused clients if they can't in the future do it properly

there really is no reason why a dealer can't keep notes in house as to what is a good setup on a gt3 that tracks and tell customers that they have a track setup which they charge x$ for it - the car will be corner balanced, with proper camber and caster with shims and bars adjusted and the car works very well on the track - certain clients that are just beginning would love this is my bet
+1, numbers look good except rear camber. Massive inside tire wear leading to early cording can be expected. I would take it to -2 or -2.2, and add a little more rear toe.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:18 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Mvez,

Thanks for the input, I have an event this weekend and I will evaluate and adjust after this weekend.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:11 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

The car drove very well, I was able to to take two seconds off of my best lap (1:53 TWS clockwise). Three part improvent; 1. Driver 2. Car. 3. New Hoosiers, not in that order. The car's basic characteristic is understeer on entry through mid-corner, so I still have some work to do. But I was happy to get the corner weights back to a reasonable place and an alignment I can deal with.

Ideas on better turn in are welcomed.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:06 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by jtstre
The car drove very well, I was able to to take two seconds off of my best lap (1:53 TWS clockwise). Three part improvent; 1. Driver 2. Car. 3. New Hoosiers, not in that order. The car's basic characteristic is understeer on entry through mid-corner, so I still have some work to do. But I was happy to get the corner weights back to a reasonable place and an alignment I can deal with.

Ideas on better turn in are welcomed.
In your specific case, less rear camber will increase turn-in. Trust me, this will give the car more balance, and you'll be a lot smoother mid-corner. Plus, you'll get way more life out of your tires.

Right now you are having to trail brake considerably, and do a lot of mid-corner lifting to get the car to turn (nose to tuck back in), or you simply have to sit and wait for the nose to turn, which means you are off the gas, with lots of lock. None of these are what you want. Free up the rear slightly, and it will make everything better. I don't mean make it loose, I just mean your rear has way too much grip relative to the front.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:06 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's a 911, learn how to trail brake most corners.

Really trail brake, not what 95% of the others think they are doing.

While your at it, start using your left foot while braking in your DD. After a year or two of constant practice, slowly start doing it on the track.

Quick Reply: '11 .2 RS - Alignment help needed