Going to get my PCA race license at Road America

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 10:03 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts
Default Going to get my PCA race license at Road America

Well, barring any incidents that is :-)
I'm pretty excited to fly to Road America today!
Since most GT3DECUP drovers went racing, I figure it's a good idea to at least get my license so I can maybe participate in some enduro's when I get invited to come hang out.

Thanks to Clarke and Grady, (GT3DE and Redbear on these pages) they talked me into it!
Clarke graciously offered me his freshly made faster GT3 that is already race ready and has a PCA logbook! So I booked my ticket and figured the rest out after that LOL.

Sent in my medical and resume and with the help form the local PCA guys and 10 years DE experience PCA accepted me to try and get my race license this weekend after a 30 minute over the phone interview:-)
Been to busy to read the rule book, but I'll do that in the plane today.

I was offered to rent an '86 911 Class E from Mark White at Accumoto, so I figured that takes some pressure off keeping Clarke backup car in one piece.
It is not unheard of for Clarke to break his car during a 4 day race weekend and this offers a nice opportunity to try out what its like to drive these old relics I wonder what it looks like..

Having a full service arrive and drive experience and going much slower for my first race weekend does not hurt either I figure, but the only Porsche I've ever driven on track is a GT3 and never even sat in an old relic 911 . We'll see how it goes, at least Friday is a DE day so I can get used to the car :-) I've heard something about a 915? gearbox and slow shifting...

So Friday DE, Saturday practice and race classes and Sunday 2 races. Maybe I will also sign up for the enduro on Monday sharing Clarke's car or rent the old 911 for another day if all goes well.
The Monday's enduro would count as a 3rd race, you need to complete 4 to get out of the rookie status with PCA.

Now just figure out how to get all my race gear on the plane today, I should have listened and UPS-ed it all
Old 08-29-2013, 10:22 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,853 Likes on 960 Posts

Clarke and Grady: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pusher Ha ha.

Seriously, nice to have all that support for your first event. You'll do great. Enjoy.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:00 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im sure it will be a fun weekend. i love road america
Old 08-29-2013, 11:12 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Cars and rig left late Tuesday night and should be arriving at RA any time now to get in line. I can't believe it -- WORLD FAMOUS TRAKCAR is going to RACE -- FLATOUT !!!!!!

If I am lucky he will race my car and the value will double!!!
Old 08-29-2013, 11:17 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Crap.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:04 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i have driven those old relics. very satisfying with the floor mounted pedals. Yes be easy on shifting on the transmission, you will adapt your heal toe to be double heal toe to make the perfect down shift...

other then that, enjoy staying flat out to keep the rear in check. if you oversteer, flat out gas pedal asap. these cars have no power so you have to be close to flat out all the time (if stock engine )

ahh i miss the 79sc i drove.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:10 PM
Bman
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

You're going to have a blast. Good luck

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
The Monday's enduro would count as a 3rd race, you need to complete 4 to get out of the rookie status
4 races AND 2 weekends. I did 4 races my 1st weekend but still was a rookie the next race.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:14 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I've heard something about a 915? gearbox and slow shifting...
You don't have to shift them slow....but feel them do the work. Use your fingertips to hold the ball and it helps. when shifting from 2nd to 3rd the shifter doesn't self center so you have to guide it there. Shift with your shoulder....and u will money shift

See below, not that slow of shifting....mind you this is 25-30 laps into the second stint of an eduro so 60 laps on the gearbox....most GT3 gear boxes would be mush by then

Old 08-29-2013, 12:31 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have FUN.

The ethos (followed by most, even a few Cup car guys) of PCA CR is to race the guy next to you as though you trailered up with him, share a garage and will have beers together in the evening.

Race hard, race fair and watch your mirrors. You'll do great.

Will miss ya'll up there. I'm scheduled to beat up on a few 6Cups at Hallett first weekend in Oct...have bumped the little red car to GT3S in an effort to grab yet anoter track record.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:31 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is 1st step for peter back into the game. exciting stuff!
great track too.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:00 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Have fun. Am not signed up this year but did go to this event last year (de). Only live about an hour away so if I get a chance will sneak down to watch. Good luck.

tal
Old 08-29-2013, 02:17 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bman
You're going to have a blast. Good luck

4 races AND 2 weekends. I did 4 races my 1st weekend but still was a rookie the next race.
Thanks Brian!
Next time in my own unicorn virgin all original 996CUP hopefully ;-)
Old 08-29-2013, 02:25 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzone
You don't have to shift them slow....but feel them do the work. Use your fingertips to hold the ball and it helps. when shifting from 2nd to 3rd the shifter doesn't self center so you have to guide it there. Shift with your shoulder....and u will money shift

See below, not that slow of shifting....mind you this is 25-30 laps into the second stint of an eduro so 60 laps on the gearbox....most GT3 gear boxes would be mush by then

06-30-2013 SVRA Enudro Mid Ohio - YouTube
Plane wifi too slow, but I get it.
I always shift with fingers, the gearbox is fresh so I should be OK.

Originally Posted by KaiB
Have FUN.

The ethos (followed by most, even a few Cup car guys) of PCA CR is to race the guy next to you as though you trailered up with him, share a garage and will have beers together in the evening.

Race hard, race fair and watch your mirrors. You'll do great.

Will miss ya'll up there. I'm scheduled to beat up on a few 6Cups at Hallett first weekend in Oct...have bumped the little red car to GT3S in an effort to grab yet anoter track record.
Drink beers afterwards. Got it. I don't plan on racing much just focussing on staying out of the way while learning do drive a relic ;-)

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
this is 1st step for peter back into the game. exciting stuff!
great track too.
awesome track, very difficult so that will add to the excitement. I hope my VBOX and camera that I sent up will work so we can all have a laugh afterwards. My heavy thick black overall will be killer in the heat!!

Originally Posted by tasman
Have fun. Am not signed up this year but did go to this event last year (de). Only live about an hour away so if I get a chance will sneak down to watch. Good luck.

tal
Would be nice to put a face with the Silver RS :-)
Come thirsty.

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 08-29-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:21 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best of luck to you Peter!

RA is a big speed track, so I agree that it's good to get your license in a lower hp car. This event is famous for wadding up GT3's in the kink. Be careful out there, and have fun!

Jon
Old 08-29-2013, 09:35 PM
JCL59
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Peter, best of luck... I'm sure your long overdue to do your first race.

I plan on doing my first there in Oct in a Chump car, Maybe PCA or NASA next yr

See you at Daytona first wknd of dec maybe???

Quick Reply: Going to get my PCA race license at Road America