Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

18" O.Z. Alleggerita

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 02:00 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

OZ Challenge is best bang for the buck for a non forged but yet strong and light wheel. Next would be the CCW wheels...forged, extremely strong and priced right! These fit PCCb 380mm caliper/rotors...which by the way are the same caliper and rotor size as GT3 calipers and rotors....caliper is same on GT3.1 and .2 and .2 went to 380 front rotor for steel.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:06 PM
onefstm
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Van,

I must have missed Porsche's recommendation to remove the factory 5mm spacers from the rear of our GT3's when using the car on the track. Since you say they are unsafe, should all GT3 track owners remove these OE rear spacers immediately?

Please point me to the technical documentation, bulletin, or owners manual documenting this info and I will remove mine ASAP.

How about Porsche 930 with the factory 25mm rear spacer bolted to the hub? Are these also unsafe for track use?

Not trying to pick a fight. However, it is important to ensure that accurate information is distributed on Rennlist and not just general opinions stated as facts.

Originally Posted by NorthVan
The factory spacer is an option. If Porsche intended for the rear wheels to be sitting out 5mm further then the wheels are designed to they would have made the wheels with a different offset.

My car didn't come with them, although I am running 7mm in the front and 15mm in the rear for the street only, as I like the look of the wheels flush with the fender. Spacers are fine for the street, but not safe for the track.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:23 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have any info from Porsche, but I am sure some others will chime in. You can also ask someone in the wheel business, they will always tell you to order the correct offset. I am sure they will even tell you to not run spacers on the street.

The metals will expand at different rates, and I have seen bolt/studs fail when used at the track. It would be a shame to see you damage your beautiful GT3 due to a set of wheel spacers. I found success with buying both my Volk Wheels second hand (ugly wheel IMO, but forged so they are light and very strong), however you might have an issue with your wide front fenders finding a wheel that will work for you.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:52 PM
Finspeed
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The hub bore on the wheel needs to engage the od of the hub. Spacers push the wheel away from the mounting surface and reduce the amount of engagement. I have seen guys run spacers that extend past the entire surface of the hub - the spacer has a "new" hub od machined into it. Problem is, it is aluminum, and the hub od that it replaces is steel and that doesn't work very well. In this situation, the aluminum spacer and the studs/bolts bear the load, rather than the steel hub.

Our wheels are engineered to be used without the 5mm spacer.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:01 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Jeremy,
sent you a pm
Old 08-28-2013, 09:00 AM
johnwb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kormaster
PCCB caliper size of 997.1 is same as gen 2 steel/PCCB. SOmeone on this board tried on gen 2 (after 5 lug conversion) and couldnt clear it. I ordered it then cancelled. I wish OZ Alleterita fits as I think they are bang for your buck type of track wheels.

CCW is the cheapest forged custom wheels. Not cheap in quality but just price wise. Finspeed/Forgeline/Joebloged are prettier wheels.

Dont forget HRE series.. yes they cost a lot but so does BBS e88.

Johnwb = how the heck did you manage to mount the wheels without even touching the calipers?! Skill!

I use three of those mounting alignment tools that screw into the the hub. With those the fronts are very easy. The rears are a bit more difficult just because they weigh more. I have yet to bang the wheel into the disc or the caliper.

Quick Reply: 18" O.Z. Alleggerita