Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Do you still get the goose bumps?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 04:21 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
When looking at new Porsche models and new cars in general?
Yes if it's a Porsche, a definite NO if I was a Bimmer fan for example...

A 991 is still a small car (but not next to my 964), with four seats and every bit as gorgeous from the rear. It weighs just a little bit more then my 20+ year old car. There's noting else like a 991 on the road, true everyday magic. Just look at the M3, as an example of how wrong things could have gotten. I think Porsche has held strong to it's values of building a small, light and efficient car that can be used everyday for 20+ years.

You guys get unset at Porsche for how it has changed (all points understood), but you know Andreas Pruminger sweats every pound that has to be added to the GT3. I love that.

What I don't like is how the safety laws around the world have put drastic styling constraints on modern cars. Plus, I don't identify with the "wants" of many today's new car buying customers. People want to constantly be entertained and experience luxury in everything they touch. Porsche builds to the market and gets HUGE margin dollars to that effect. Smart! Also, look at the number of GT3s that are sold after a year of ownership! I'm not in the demographic that can afford a new GT3, so what do I know. All I want is AC and strip the rest, make it safe but raw and super alive. I have to rely on someone putting in a stripped order, so the car exists 10 years down the road for me to actually purchase it...

The 997 GT3 and 991 GT3 are so much better than the older cars in so many ways, and I can't wait until they depreciate enough for me to afford one right next to my 964. Until then I'll admire them when I see them at the track, but given the limited speeds on the roads, I know I'm not missing a thing in the real world.

All that said, I think the Porsche got a little greedy by only offering a PDK with the 991 GT3. It's awesome and I fully understand why from a track perspective... but it would have been neat for them to offer a 7-speed for the guys that want the simplest and most demanding car available. The 3% who would actually have ordered one, would have gotten the exact car they wanted. Greedy Porsche!
Old 07-25-2013, 06:00 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,047 Likes on 383 Posts

Whenever I see any GT car, I get warm fuzzies. I like the 991 GT3 and the new 981 chassis cars but they don't give me that "feeling". After I bought the GT3, I don't get that wandering eye like I used to every 6-12 months thinking "what's next". Sure, I'd love an RS or a GT2, but as a value proposition, I think my .2 ticks all the right boxes.

I absolutely love the fact that every time I open the garage door, I smile and realize I am lucky enough to own one of the greatest sports cars ever produced.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:33 AM
m5trol
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I am in the same boat as a lot of posters here, since getting my gt3, I have stopped looking at new gt cars (bac mono, 430 scud and the alpha romeo 4c being 3 exceptions to that rule). I do look forward to driving the new gt3 when the opportunity presents itself, I was quite impressed by the nearly instant shifts.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:02 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I watched the stig in a 3.8RS on the TpGear web site and couldn't help notice how slow the shifts were and he was on it!

Quick Reply: Do you still get the goose bumps?