Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

"Mezger Lives On"

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013 | 05:01 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mdrums
I know that already...that has nothing to do with the engine they used though.
\

Last time I try to back you up...
Old 07-17-2013 | 06:19 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by GTgears
\

Last time I try to back you up...
LOL...you confused me with your post...lost me since I was talking about the actual engine and what I have read and heard on why Porsche chose to keep running the RSR engine.
Old 07-18-2013 | 11:09 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

I was just messing with you. Some of these conversations get so dang serious that I've got to monkey wrench them and lighten the mood.
Old 07-19-2013 | 04:39 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
If the 9A1 is really ready today for motorsports, why would they need to spend millions on a short term investment?

Answer:

1. Today GT regulations DO NOT require using a production based engine in their race cars. Only the general engine architecture has to match and it is has limits for engine displacement and restrictor plates. Why would you run a production engine if you can run something better?

2. Porsche is not the only manufacturer that races a completely different engine than what is in their street cars. GM, for example, has been campaigning the C5R and C6R that use LS engines that have not a single part in common with any of the production LSx engines. Even the oiling system in the LS7 engine in the Z06 does not have a single part in common with the C5R/C6R engine.

3. Porsche last year bought 2 spare years worth of Mezger engine blocks to mitigate risk for the racing program. They of course made a decision to immediately continue to run Mezger engines in 991 Cups and RSRs.

4. Porsche already owns another year of Mezger blocks. So maybe the "millions" refers to scrapping these blocks? Well, no! If this were even a possibility, Porsche would not have made the decision to begin with to buy the Mezger blocks to begin with.

5. So what do the "millions" refer to? The engine development cost of creating a racing variant of a 9A1 engine. Bottom line, if the 9A1 was really ready for racing they should be able to drop it in with a restrictor plate and no other changes. Hmmm.... The "short term investment" is referring to the 9A1 not being expected to have a long life span. The M96 lasted 10 years in the 911. The 9A1 has already been in the 911 for almost 5 years, hence it is about time for Porsche to start working on the next gen production engines.

6. Citing the Continental GS series is really irrelevant to this discussion. This is just a non-manufacturer production street car series. Those Carreras get to complete against M3s, Vantage V8s, Camaros (SS) and Mustangs (BOSS). Think about it? They should easily in a showroom stock format as they have the best power to weight by far of any of the competitors. Despite the advantages, the Astons, Camaros and M3s have all taken first place on the podiums this year. More performance oriented cars like Ferraris (458s), GTRs and even street based GT3s are not eligiable to be run in this series. Saying the 9A1 has a racing "pedigree" from this is like saying the M96 is a great racing engine because they consistently win the spec Boxster class.
I fully support that..
Old 07-19-2013 | 04:44 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mdrums
You really hate the 9A1 don't you...always bashing it. Anyway...your GT3 engine is no closer to a race engine that the 9A1...like you said only the block is used. At least the 9A1 X51 as is comes from Porsche has raced in a national series, won races and a championship. If you think the Rolex Grand Am GS series doesn't count I'd love to hear you explain that to John Tecce of BGB Motorsports. He is on these forums if you'd like to try that...I'll get my drink and popcorn ready.
Yes..but how many victories has this 9A1 engine had besides this one?- and how had the other one (just recently it won the 2013 Le Mans)..

and the 9A1 your talking about isnt even the 991 Gt3 engine..in fact on could even argue now, the 997 GTS engine is even better then the 991 GT3 engine..it won something..the 991 Gt3 engine not yet...and who knows if this will ever happen..
Old 07-19-2013 | 07:39 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
Yes..but how many victories has this 9A1 engine had besides this one?- and how had the other one (just recently it won the 2013 Le Mans)..

and the 9A1 your talking about isnt even the 991 Gt3 engine..in fact on could even argue now, the 997 GTS engine is even better then the 991 GT3 engine..it won something..the 991 Gt3 engine not yet...and who knows if this will ever happen..
In addition to both the drivers and team GS class championships in Continental Tire last year, 3.8l swapped Caymans swept the podium in GX at the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona this year. The factory backed Mazdas that they were competing against couldn't even finish 6 hours. The engine has shown that it can last in endurance racing. Though by the same token, what happened to BGB at the 6 Hours of the Glen also drives home the point that you've got to time these engines and not run them for too long. They do have a fuse and it's not as long of a fuse as a Mezger gets.
Old 07-19-2013 | 11:28 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector

Not really sure how many races BGB and Rum Bum won with the 9A1 engine. I was just pointing out that the engine in stock form has real racing history. Not saying it's better than any other engine..just pointing out to those that keep saying the 9A! has never raced when it has and won.

Will be interesting to see how and if the new version of this engine in the 991GT3 does in the Porsche Cup type of series and if it shows up in any other sanctioning racing venues.

Quick Reply: "Mezger Lives On"