Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Stock Spring Rate Change? What would you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 03:33 AM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Grab someones pyrometer at the track and check your tire temps. Data rules in these discussions!
Old 07-16-2013, 09:46 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by 911GT3
All good advice--thanks. I agree with your "more aggressive" alignment set-up recommendation. I laminated the outside of a MPSC after only 12 HC, and the inner tread was nearly new--more negative camber!! I think I have -2.2 now. Car is going in end of week. Have to run on my MPSS (rain tires) for coaching day this week.
If I recall, you said you have -2.2 front, -1.7 rear, and while that might cut it at some flat tracks, your home track (Putnam) needs a lot of camber.

I remember looking at your tires and the wear is all on the outside of both front and rear tires. Not only will a more aggressive alignment give you more lateral grip, it will extend the life of your tires tremendously. 12HC with cording on the outside is nuts.

Talk with Aaron, but I think we will both agree you need something in the range of -2.7 to -3.0 front, -2.0 to -2.3 range for the rear. Test, then adjust from there. With a new alignment you will feel like you have a brand new car and springs will be the furthest thing from your mind.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:09 AM
rs4_saloon
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911GT3
2010 GT3 (non-RS), 11,000 mi; the last half all track. It has GMG Tarmac series suspension components, magnetorheostatic engine mounts and bone-stock shocks. This is essentially a track-only car, trailered to events. Should I increase the spring rates, and if so, should I keep the stock shocks, exchange springs for slightly higher spring rate and leave the rest alone, or change springs and re-valve the shocks OR replace the shocks? I am not the guy who changes tons of things at the track--the regular and Sport settings are enough for me. I could also just leave things all stock--just wondering if I don't need any comfort factor since it is not street-driven, am I compromising performance at the track by using the street suspension? Thanks for any feedback.
My car is 95% track (trailered to track) and 5% street (local c&c).

I went with 850# upfront and 1100# in the rear with a revalve of the struts. To make the whole system work, i run either yoko or pirelli slicks w/ a very aggressive track alignment. I just added some additional front and rear downforce to the car with aero as well. I have data to share if you're an AIM user from VIR if you want to compare setups.

Quick Reply: Stock Spring Rate Change? What would you recommend?