Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Wes_R x GT3RS (89 pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 01:56 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

That is more than detailed, they really know what they are doing. I doubt there is anyone in texas that good.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:25 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

amazing detail, but i never understand people with a front bra, especially half up the hood and fenders (i assume thats why u taped off those areas)

every time i see an exotic with a half wrapped anything it just pains me.. the cut edge just looks horrible.. (especially on GT2RS local with half matte hood. lol. they could have at least used matte clear on hood!)

all the work to get the other 7/8 of car to shine like a mirror and the front has clear film on it

i vote no clear and just use the car and detail it up when needed.. premiere is probably the only company that i feel does a competent job on wraps..

another pet peeve was a SL black series local... black car.. the whole thing just looked milky and very poorly done... the dealer said how it was rotected: but it just looked like someone mixed milk in with the clear coat.

regardless of the wrap, the detail job was amazing.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:43 AM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice work
do you service in Montreal?
Old 07-13-2013, 08:19 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Better than new!
Old 07-13-2013, 01:49 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
amazing detail, but i never understand people with a front bra, especially half up the hood and fenders (i assume thats why u taped off those areas)

every time i see an exotic with a half wrapped anything it just pains me.. the cut edge just looks horrible.. (especially on GT2RS local with half matte hood. lol. they could have at least used matte clear on hood!)

all the work to get the other 7/8 of car to shine like a mirror and the front has clear film on it

i vote no clear and just use the car and detail it up when needed.. premiere is probably the only company that i feel does a competent job on wraps..

another pet peeve was a SL black series local... black car.. the whole thing just looked milky and very poorly done... the dealer said how it was rotected: but it just looked like someone mixed milk in with the clear coat.

I'd rather the car looks like crap than sandblast a factory paint job for hours on end at the track.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:03 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Cost?
Old 07-14-2013, 12:40 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 630 Likes on 323 Posts

Looks phenomenal! Great job, and thanks for sharing the photos with us.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:09 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I'd rather the car looks like crap than sandblast a factory paint job for hours on end at the track.
track use=understood

street use=when i get baffled.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:36 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 279 Posts

Fantastic! I love it!!! Amazing amount of attention to details! Even the wash buckets are color matched to the car!

Anyone can do this kind of work around Denver/Boulder? I can supply 1/2 dozen cars...
Old 07-14-2013, 11:45 PM
Wes_R
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe S.
Looks great!

Do you clean the alcantara with anything?
Thanks! The alcantara was wiped down with all purpose cleaner mixed 50/50 with water.

Originally Posted by Matrog
Gald to see you restored her

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
man, would love for you to get your hands on my RS. Super job.

Anybody notice how low this car sits? Id say zero travel.
Thanks, if I'm ever in town then we'll definitely arrange something.

Originally Posted by GentlemanRacer
Didn't know our cars looked so much better detailed!

Great job!
I actually have a Cayman R in the exact same color about to come in next week!

Originally Posted by CRex
Stunning work and all. But can you please explain your before and after shots:

"Before"

"After"

As a photographer myself it's unusual to be able to frame two separate exposures at two different points in time exactly the same way--down to the location, contents and bokeh of each reflection (such as the highlights from the curvature of the front wheel). Waist-level exposures such as the pair above are particularly challenging since they're shot crouched. A tripod doesn't make sense here as that'll most certainly get in the way of your polishing work (plus you have a pic of the entire team polishing which doesn't show any of that multitude of tripods that would've been necessary) . Multiply these "pairs" of exposures over your half-dozen angles/locations and that creates a rather implausible combination--unless your "after" shots is actually the same exposure as "before".

I'm in no way discrediting your work--in fact this all started as I got SO mesmerized by the finished product that I kept staring at the pictures again and again. I would've said you did top-notch work with or without the pictures in question. Just that the photographer in me sees something that doesn't compute, hence my question...
I just put my camera on a tripod, manually focused on the swirls, polished the panel, then took the pic again of the finished product. Oh yeah and I'm shooting in P mode on a Nikon D80. It's not hard to polish a panel with a camera on a tripod near by. Here is another link to my work where I do the exact same thing http://oriondetailing.co/portfolio/f...ossa-126-pics/

Originally Posted by MirageJHU
I'm not sure if this is what OP did, but last time I had a detailer friend come over my house, he had his camera on a tripod, took a picture of a really bad section of my FD. He didn't move anything, went in and he polished it. When he was happy, he then took the same picture, the only difference being time. So that's one possibility.

As far as the team shot, I might be mistaken, but I think it's just like a time lapse or something edited together? OP said "of me polishing." Looked like the same guy? Or OP has identical brothers? Or I'm just racist...

Either way, fantastic work man, the car looks phenomenal. I need to get mine detailed ASAP.
Thanks! We are all quadruplets lol

Originally Posted by mepps
all I know is it looks good. nice work.
That's all that counts.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:56 PM
Wes_R
Banned

That is more than detailed, they really know what they are doing. I doubt there is anyone in texas that good.
I'm pretty sure there are some pretty good detailers in Texas. The names don't come to me right now but I'll look into it.

You can actually fully wrap the front end so that you don't see the line. Xpel is a great clear bra and if they didn't tell you the front was wrapped you wouldn't be able to tell.

Originally Posted by DRPM
Nice work
do you service in Montreal?
Yes I do service Montreal. I sent you a pm.

Originally Posted by brake dust
Better than new!
Thanks!

I feel the same way.

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
Cost?
$400

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
Looks phenomenal! Great job, and thanks for sharing the photos with us.
Cheers! Hopefully more to come

Originally Posted by Igooz
Fantastic! I love it!!! Amazing amount of attention to details! Even the wash buckets are color matched to the car!

Anyone can do this kind of work around Denver/Boulder? I can supply 1/2 dozen cars...
Lol everybody teases me about the buckets!
Old 07-15-2013, 01:43 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

As a photographer myself it's unusual to be able to frame two separate exposures at two different points in time exactly the same way--down to the location, contents and bokeh of each reflection (such as the highlights from the curvature of the front wheel). Waist-level exposures such as the pair above are particularly
Gaffer tape the tripod to the floor, hang 10lb sand bag. Leave the camera on programmed settings. Piece of cake. If the tripod simply can't stay, then put the tripod down, get three of four pieces of something like 2x2 plywood squares and tape those down to "position" the feet of the tripod, then it goes back in the same spot, but you still have camera target to recreate.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:41 AM
Wes_R
Banned

That's basically what I do but if I do have to move the tripod I just put blue tape on the floor and since the focus is manual I just don't touch it.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:10 AM
Wes_R
Banned

I recently worked on a member's 997.2 GT3 RS and I didn't want to start a new thread for only nine pictures so I'll just share it here.

Washing & Wheel Cleaning

Before

After

Before

After

Final product

I love the gloss you see on the side

This one is my favorite

Cheers!
Old 08-11-2013, 10:00 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Never liked the half hood clear bra either and that is why I did the entire hood and fenders. Autopaintguard.com in Tampa does spectacular work by the way.

Quick Reply: Wes_R x GT3RS (89 pics)